Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Fascinating Interview with Meopta Product Manager

Old Saturday 1st September 2018, 12:25   #26
Sebzwo

Most interesting interview. Thanks. Interesting US-links.
Meopta builds very nice high quality and is not overpriced yet. And still made in Europe. A company to watch for sure. I just would like them to be slightly more traditional designed please. A little less "cucumber"-style. But the parts that really matter are top notch.
Old Saturday 1st September 2018, 17:13   #27
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzwo View Post
Most interesting interview. Thanks. Interesting US-links.
Meopta builds very nice high quality and is not overpriced yet. And still made in Europe. A company to watch for sure. I just would like them to be slightly more traditional designed please. A little less "cucumber"-style. But the parts that really matter are top notch.
Sebzwo

Thank you for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed the interview. I am not sure what you mean by 'cucumber-style'. Maybe if you can name a bino that does not have this style your meaning would become clear.

Lee
Old Saturday 1st September 2018, 22:08   #28
Sebzwo

With all respect the Meostar B1.
Old Sunday 2nd September 2018, 03:28   #29
ceasar

The little "cucumber" like bumps on the objective tubes where you hold them---maybe?

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd September 2018, 08:46   #30
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
The little "cucumber" like bumps on the objective tubes where you hold them---maybe?

Bob
You could be right Bob. When I first saw photos of the B1s I was put off by the 'green pox' but then I saw the binos in real life and liked the compact shape so much that the spots faded into insignificance.

Lee
Old Sunday 2nd September 2018, 10:10   #31
Sebzwo

Technically I consider Meopta to be top notch and fairly priced. And I might very well buy some later one day.
I would have considered the B1 but I found it so ugly that I didn't take it. If it only could be a little less "designed". I have to to say this goes for many new binoculars of many manufacturers. The later made the uglier. It's an instrument, so no need to design "geometry", curves and shapes, unneeded finger rests and fancy patterns of the season on top of it except you find some genius designer to do it. (and this criticism includes my own Docter Nobilem 10x50's design)

This is admittedly just my taste and others might think different. To take another example I think many current cars are ber-ugly by design. That might happen because you take standard mass produced cars -all have to be designed for the same regulations like pedestrian protection- and then companies try to add some "image" on top afterwards by putting on ugly details.

Being old school and coming back to binoculars: Make them purely functional again, more like microscopes and less of some "sports" article please. I even accept leatherette or heavy duty rubber seals for functional comfort. But this "piece of art" approach is not for me.

Last edited by Sebzwo : Sunday 2nd September 2018 at 10:23.
Old Sunday 2nd September 2018, 10:46   #32
Troubador

I have some sympathy with your comments Sebzwo but I can also understand the bino manufacturers' desire for their binos to at least look a little different from everyone elses. Certainly I agree with your comments about cars and prefer the functional looks of our Skoda Fabia Kombi to many other more 'stylish' designs. There have been some nice modern cars though, for example the Audi A2 and the original Audi TT and also the recently revived Alpine A110.

Lee
Old Wednesday 5th September 2018, 14:26   #33
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Lee, post 1,
Thank you for the interview of Milos of Meopta, very nice and informative. During our visit to Meopta in Prerov we also had a long conversation with him in the company building and later at a dinner which was organised for us as visitors. Upon our question: wil there be new developments and he told us that there were plans for a complete new binocular line. As yet we however did not see it, so the Rausnitz family may have decided to postpone it for some time.
On the other hand shortly after that the new Meorange binocular came on the market: a beautiful binocular both to see as to look through came on the market, a binocular with built-in rangefinder. We have seen with great admiration how the complex housing was made by an excellent craftsman on his CNC machine. We also watched the many quality control steps for every binocular and telescope made. That made it very clear to us, that Meopta is a top quality company.
Gijs van Ginkel
It sounds like a very interesting visit Gijs and from what Milos said they have some very impressive machinery in their factory.

Lee
Old Friday 7th September 2018, 00:25   #34
tenex

Quote:
It's an instrument, so no need to design "geometry", curves and shapes, unneeded finger rests and fancy patterns of the season on top of it except you find some genius designer to do it. (and this criticism includes my own Docter Nobilem 10x50's design)
I always wondered whether they were desperately trying to make the Nobilem series look non-military, in order to avoid bad war memories (hot or cold). Truly ugly. Though it was possible to make porro designs look clean and modern, as Swarovski did (I forget the name of that series in the 1980s).
Old Friday 7th September 2018, 00:57   #35
NDhunter

Quote:
Technically I consider Meopta to be top notch and fairly priced. And I might very well buy some later one day.
I would have considered the B1 but I found it so ugly that I didn't take it. If it only could be a little less "designed". I have to to say this goes for many new binoculars of many manufacturers. The later made the uglier. It's an instrument, so no need to design "geometry", curves and shapes, unneeded finger rests and fancy patterns of the season on top of it except you find some genius designer to do it. (and this criticism includes my own Docter Nobilem 10x50's design)

This is admittedly just my taste and others might think different. To take another example I think many current cars are ber-ugly by design. That might happen because you take standard mass produced cars -all have to be designed for the same regulations like pedestrian protection- and then companies try to add some "image" on top afterwards by putting on ugly details.

Being old school and coming back to binoculars: Make them purely functional again, more like microscopes and less of some "sports" article please. I even accept leatherette or heavy duty rubber seals for functional comfort. But this "piece of art" approach is not for me.

I recently got the 12x50 B1, HD, and find it a very nice binocular, the
balance and handling, and the armor are all just right. The thumb indents are
also perfect for me.

Binoculars are not cars.

So try before you criticize.

Jerry

Last edited by Troubador : Friday 7th September 2018 at 08:04.
Old Friday 7th September 2018, 08:06   #36
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
I recently got the 12x50 B1, HD, and find it a very nice binocular, the
balance and handling, and the armor are all just right. The thumb indents are
also perfect for me.

Binoculars are not cars.

So try before you criticize.

Jerry
Jerry
I usually hate thumb indents because in the past they have never fitted my thumbs. The indents on the back of the MeoStar B1s are an exception and feel super-comfortable.

Lee
Old Friday 7th September 2018, 18:14   #37
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello,

I had good results with a Meopta product going back forty years: a photographic enlarger. More recently, I acquired a 6.5x32 MeoPro binocular, since discontinued, which was assembled in the USA. It is a rather good binocular for its price point, but not to everyone's taste. I tended to use it only when I was willing to carry a 10x32 as well.

I am not surprised to read that Meopta supplies other brands with components. Finished or semi-finished prisms may be a significant part of that business. I will point out that the Czech Republic borders on Austria, as well as Germany.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 08:50   #38
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post

I am not surprised to read that Meopta supplies other brands with components. Finished or semi-finished prisms may be a significant part of that business. I will point out that the Czech Republic borders on Austria, as well as Germany.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
A good point Arthur.

Lee
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 09:13   #39
Sebzwo

I read they build spotting scopes for both Leica and Zeiss.
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 11:09   #40
Troubador

Quote:
I read they build spotting scopes for both Leica and Zeiss.
They certainly used to do this some time ago.

Lee
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 13:39   #41
Sebzwo

So who exactly gets their stuff today and what please?
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 14:08   #42
Troubador

I don't know and it is normal for customers using contract manufacturers to insist on confidentiality. The Leica and Zeiss scopes are known about because they are old models and this information 'leaked' in various ways over the years.

Lee
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 14:33   #43
Sebzwo

The companies might not talk about it but it might be well known by consumers like collectors and such? A bit like the watch industry that shares many factories, parts and movements behind the scenes and you can read about all that in many watch maniac forums. Or the car industry again. You can buy a Mercedes that is actually made by Renault including the engine!
I love to separate the facts from the fiction.

Last edited by Sebzwo : Saturday 8th September 2018 at 14:37.
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 15:53   #44
Troubador

Quote:
The companies might not talk about it but it might be well known by consumers like collectors and such? A bit like the watch industry that shares many factories, parts and movements behind the scenes and you can read about all that in many watch maniac forums. Or the car industry again. You can buy a Mercedes that is actually made by Renault including the engine!
I love to separate the facts from the fiction.
Yes this is possible. I remember having a Volvo V40 estate car that was based on a Mitsubishi platform, with an engine based on one from Renault and this 'Swedish' car was made in the Netherlands! So I understand what you mean and perhaps some members might be able to cast some light on this.

Lee
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 17:39   #45
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Jerry
I usually hate thumb indents because in the past they have never fitted my thumbs. The indents on the back of the MeoStar B1s are an exception and feel super-comfortable.

Lee
The Meopro HD 8x32 are also good thumb indents, at least for me. On other makes, they sometimes push my thumb saddle up into the strap eyelet, but the Meopro's are great feeling in hand. The thumb indent helps using one-handed.
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 19:39   #46
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
The Meopro HD 8x32 are also good thumb indents, at least for me. On other makes, they sometimes push my thumb saddle up into the strap eyelet, but the Meopro's are great feeling in hand. The thumb indent helps using one-handed.
Good to know Marc. I must try a MeoPro someday soon.

Lee
Old Sunday 9th September 2018, 08:30   #47
Sebzwo

Good to know somebody likes it this way. But I personally never needed thumb indents to hold my binocular.
I don't want this debate to become sort of "anti meopta" in any way as my statement was meant to be more general towards almost all manufacturers. As many binoculars (not meoptas) are mass produced anywhere it might be tempting for the final brands selling them to add a tad too much of their badge design afterwards to make them recognizable for marketing.
It's boils down to personal taste. I like it functional and classic like those Dialyts.
Old Sunday 9th September 2018, 11:12   #48
Troubador

Quote:
Good to know somebody likes it this way. But I personally never needed thumb indents to hold my binocular.
I don't want this debate to become sort of "anti meopta" in any way as my statement was meant to be more general towards almost all manufacturers. As many binoculars (not meoptas) are mass produced anywhere it might be tempting for the final brands selling them to add a tad too much of their badge design afterwards to make them recognizable for marketing.
It's boils down to personal taste. I like it functional and classic like those Dialyts.
Hi Seb
I don't need thumb indents either. But the MeoStar's are so comfortable for me and instead of grumbling about the indents getting in the way of my grip (eg Swarovski EL) I hardly notice they are there or just smile at how nice they feel.

I had several Dialyts and a Leica Trinovid in the 1970's and 80s and the ones without rubber armour were so elegant as well as being great binos. Nikon's HG binos have got something of that appearance although the brand and model badges are a bit too big for my taste, but they do feel good in the hand.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Monday 10th September 2018 at 08:12.
Old Sunday 9th September 2018, 22:21   #49
Hermann

Troubador:

Nice interview, and some interesting answers.

You forgot to ask the most obvious question though: Why on earth is the diopter correction range of their binoculars only +/-3 diopters?

Hermann
Old Monday 10th September 2018, 00:28   #50
jgraider

The Nighforce ED/HD spotter is a Meopta made, "reskinned" S2. Trijicon binocs are also Meopta made.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: