Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Black outs: 8x30e 8.3 WF

Old Friday 19th October 2018, 10:08   #1
Tomly

Black outs: 8x30e 8.3 WF

Not long ago I picked up a set of Nikon 8x30e 8.3 WF binoculars. They are the most recent multi coated version prior to the E2. I understand these to be a fairly popular set of binoculars and I do find they have a lot going for them: 3D effects, great center sharpness, great form factor.

Maybe Iíll settle into them, but I find them a little tiring for extended use due to the finicky eye placement. On center they are wonderful, but if my eye placement isnít perfectly centered (due to scanning the field or moving the view to follow an object) I get kidney beaning or partial blackouts. I assume this is a natural quality of these binoculars rather than a maintenance issue. Is that accurate?

Iím sure part of the equation is poor technique (advice?). Iím also open to selling/trading these 8x30 for something similar but a little more relaxed (and ,perhaps, waterproofed). Thoughts?
Old Friday 19th October 2018, 10:33   #2
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomly View Post
Maybe Iíll settle into them, but I find them a little tiring for extended use due to the finicky eye placement. On center they are wonderful, but if my eye placement isnít perfectly centered (due to scanning the field or moving the view to follow an object) I get kidney beaning or partial blackouts. I assume this is a natural quality of these binoculars rather than a maintenance issue. Is that accurate?
Hi,

in my experience (I don't wear glasses) blackouts are usually caused by the eye being too close to the eyepiece and I'll have to change my technique for holding (rest eyecups on eyesocket rim rather than pushing in) or make eyecup extensions from cycle innertube...

Joachim
Old Friday 19th October 2018, 14:32   #3
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomly View Post
Not long ago I picked up a set of Nikon 8x30e 8.3 WF binoculars. They are the most recent multi coated version prior to the E2. I understand these to be a fairly popular set of binoculars and I do find they have a lot going for them: 3D effects, great center sharpness, great form factor.

Iím sure part of the equation is poor technique (advice?). Iím also open to selling/trading these 8x30 for something similar but a little more relaxed (and ,perhaps, waterproofed). Thoughts?

Hi Tomly,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

I get "Kidney Beaning" when I use my Nikon 8x32 SE. I can make it disappear with the following technique: I brace the top edge of the eye cups up against and slightly under my eyebrows and tilt the binocular very slightly upward when I am using it.

It is known here as the MOLCET technique and it is named after Steve Moore, whose Bird Forum handle is "mooreorless"; and yours truly, "Ceasar." Both of us were using the technique independently of each other. It means "mooreorless ceasar's eyebrow technique". and it was given that name by "Brockenroller," another Bird Forum member.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 19th October 2018 at 14:34.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 19th October 2018, 15:41   #4
Tomly

Thanks for the advice! I’ll play around with distance and the MOLCET method.

Any thoughts on a more weatherproof alternative?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: