• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Initials/abbr. on EDG focus wheel (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Excuse me if this has been answered before, as my search technique doesn't work well.

Just wondering what the abbreviation CW means on an EDG focus wheel. I noticed this when the staff at a local shop were trying to tempt me to a second hand EDG 8x42. It is rather nice... and I see on this forum that the EDGs are very well regarded.

Thank you,

Tom

Excuse me if this has been answered before, as my search technique doesn't work well.

Just wondering what the abbreviation CW means on an EDG focus wheel. I noticed this when the staff at a local shop were trying to tempt me to a second hand EDG 8x42. It is rather nice... and I see on this forum that the EDGs are very well regarded.

Thank you,

Tom

I never really took notice of it before on my 10x32 EDG II. My guess is it means it focuses clockwise to infinity.

In the instruction booklet that came with my binocular on the procedure of setting the diopter it concludes with:

"6. When the subject changes, refocus the new
subject by rotating the focus ring
. Rotate clockwise to focus on a more distant
subject.
. Rotate counterclockwise to focus on a closer
subject."

Bob

Last edited:
The Nikon HG's have either AG or BV on the focus wheel so I doubt CW has anything do with Clock Wise. Only Nikon know the significance of the letters unless someone on the forum knows differently.

The Nikon HG's have either AG or BV on the focus wheel so I doubt CW has anything do with Clock Wise. Only Nikon know the significance of the letters unless someone on the forum knows differently.

You are probably correct. My old 8x32 LXL and 10x32 LXL have BV on their focus wheels. Their body construction is also remarkably similar to my 10x32 EDG. Diopters are on the right eyepiece.

However the focus wheel on my Monarch 8x42 HG is completely different. On the top of the focus wheel it has: 8x42 8.3º. In the middle it says-Nikon-in large letters and along the bottom it says-WATERPROOF ED-in smaller letters. Nothing else. All of it is in gold lettering.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back