Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Habicht 7x42 Question

Old Tuesday 20th November 2018, 18:59   #26
simonineaston
...looking forward to retiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
...is there ‘Made in Austria’ or some other marking on the front axle cap? John
The former! I'm relieved that it sounds like the bridge pieces are aluminium ally, 'cos I'll be able to paint them myself, rather than have to get a professional metal finisher to do the job, as I would have had to have done if the pieces were mag. alloy. I could see difficulties with doing that, 'cos the bridge pieces appear firmly attached to the steel tube elements of the construction and getting them apart is going too far down the road of deconstruction for my comfort and skill level. If it's aluminium alloy, I'll be content with masking off the interior and steel elements, applying my Dremel brushes carefully and repainting with a suitable primer.
I'm not seeking to recreate an 'as new' finish, which just wouldn't be appropriate for an item of this age, but rather to make good the most badly damaged elements and leave the least worn areas as they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31035230567_50610c17f2_z.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	680817  
Old Saturday 1st December 2018, 08:49   #27
simonineaston
...looking forward to retiring!

...the battery acid test

OK, so the hot news is that I've done the acid test, with a drop of battery acid and there was no change in the drop of acid, placed carefully on the freshly cleaned area of the arm piece, so the conculsion I draw is that the pieces are almost certainly made from aluminium alloy not magnesium alloy. Onto the next stage - masking and cleaning... How Exciting!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: