Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Replacing Eyecups on the Habicht 8x30 W

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 20:18   #1
downunder

Replacing Eyecups on the Habicht 8x30 W

I have tired of cleaning eyelash grease from the eyepiece of my set of habicht 8x30 W binoculars. I have also found the eye cups to be too narrow. This appears to be a common problem. As suggested in https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=318770 and other threads, swapping over with the green rubber eye cups from the habicht 10x40 can solve the problem.

My question: Are the fitted eye cups on the 8x30 W easy to remove by simply unscrewing them from the binoculars? My first tentative attempt to remove them found them to be held firmly and I didnt want to force the issue for fear damaging this fine set of binoculars.

Last edited by downunder : Wednesday 26th September 2018 at 20:56. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Thursday 27th September 2018, 04:47   #2
razor6

Yes, I found them to be easily screwed off. Tightness will probably only be initially if they’ve never been unscrewed. They screwed back on nice and firm as well. But, I agree, the rubber habicht eyecups were infinitely better for me than the narrow ones.
Old Thursday 27th September 2018, 10:46   #3
downunder

Thank you for that information.
Old Friday 5th October 2018, 05:29   #4
downunder

I don't understand what is happening here. While waiting for the green Habicht 10x40 eyecups to be forwarded to me, I bought these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-Bin...72.m2749.l2649 . They appear to fit perfectly. These have turned my Habicht 8x30 W binoculars from "I'll keep them but I am not sure what all the hype is about", to "These are magnificent binoculars". I no longer have to fiddle to find just the right spot to hold the binoculars against my eyes, there is no side glare, they just fit into place on my face. How can something so low cost and simple transform my Habicht 8x30 binoculars so much. They are now a joy to use. What is going on?
Old Monday 12th November 2018, 17:48   #5
simonineaston
...looking forward to retiring!

Whey-Hey! I've just ordered a pair of those replacement eye cups, too - I hope they have the same effect on me!
Old Monday 19th November 2018, 01:47   #6
Samolot

Just bought a second hand habicht and thanks to this thread ordered the recommended eyecups. Will let you know what i think.
Old Monday 3rd December 2018, 21:07   #7
Samolot

Just got a wonderful set of Habichts - still waiting for the eyecups from China. Managed to take these out today for the first time. Quick thoughts:

Cons:
- Tricky eye placement, as everyone has already observed, however: It doesnt take long to get used to it and figure out the proper placement.
- Stray light: Hopefully the eyecups help!
- Not much else!

Pros: where to begin...
- Perfect form-factor. Extremely easy to hold steady to due the wide body.
- Looks gorgeous, classic.
- Lightweight: Barely felt them around my neck.
- Neck Strap: Very nice material, very comfortable.
- The view: Supremely bright, three-dimensional, cool and natural. I know its been compared to the EII's extensively. I had the EII a while back and didn't recall it being this bright.
- Focus: Buttery smooth, a little stiff but with the way the body is designed, its really easy to use two fingers to focus.

Overall these are coming with me everywhere I go. I have the 10x50EL ill use for long distance viewing and astronomy, but these will be for everything else. A true gem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9644.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	681756  
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 04:12   #8
dries1

Nice photo Samolot - winter is here...nice combo you have there (10X50 SV and the Habicht), let us know how the new eye-cups work out.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th December 2018, 19:27   #9
Samolot

The eye cups finally arrived from China. They are an absolute game-changer for any Habicht owner. What's best is how perfectly they fit on the Habicht. What I did is unscrew the original eyecups first, then place the replacement cups on. Finally, for extra security, I managed to screw back the original eyecups onto the new ones, as shown in the photo. Not only does it look much better, but it just feels solid, and its all black! The eye placement is perfect; these binoculars are now as easy to use as my former EII's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9731.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	681990  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9729.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	681991  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread