• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Help (1 Viewer)

reedjasonj1973

Hi,

I am a new birder and am looking to invest in a set of Swarovski's. I travel often and have decided on Swarovski after talking to other birders. I do however have some questions:

1. I travel often and am wondering if a set of Swarovski Companions would be best for birding due to size and portability? Or is it best just invest in full size?
2. Do you lose a lot by using compact binoculars?
3. I tried both the 8.5x and 10x and cannot tell by just using them for a short period if the 10x is too shaky. Any advice?
4. Any recommendations on best place to purchase Swarovski's? I've noticed there is not much in terms of discounting. I would buy a demo pair or from someone reputable but am hesitant to take the plunge on a used pair on eBay.

I would recommend the 8x30 CL model, due to their quality and versatility.

You have a great question, and this size seems to fit just your needs as mentioned.

I would give a call to Cameraland, NY, they are a sponsor on here, and offer great personalized
service. I have experience with them, ask for Doug or Neil.

Jerry

I second Jerry. You're in a great position being new to birding. I'm new to high-end optics and initially tried the 8x30 CL and thought it was fantastic, but was kind of fixed on 8x42. So, I then got my 8x42, but then felt I needed a smaller travel binocular and got a high-end 8x25. Upon reflection I think I'd have been better off (and saved money) just getting the 8x30 CL, which would do everything with very few compromises.

I agree with the other two recommendations for the 8x30 CL. Make sure you get the latest improved version though.
I recently bought one for my wife. It's light, compact and optically and mechanically very good. The only niggle is the silly strap attachment, which keeps getting tangled.

John

For a compact pair that you will never need to upgrade, I would recommend the 8x32 EL. I have the new version of the 8x30 CL, the improvements are good compared to the older version, but they do not compete with the EL. Another thought would be to try out the 8x42 SLC.

I agree with the other two recommendations for the 8x30 CL. Make sure you get the latest improved version though.
I recently bought one for my wife. It's light, compact and optically and mechanically very good. The only niggle is the silly strap attachment, which keeps getting tangled.

John

Just spin the strap in the proper direction (forward or backward) and it will untangle. It only takes a couple of seconds to untwist.;)

Bob

Just spin the strap in the proper direction (forward or backward) and it will untangle. It only takes a couple of seconds to untwist.;)

Bob

Yes Bob, we've got that far but why do the manufacturers keep trying to reinvent the wheel and offer us such stupidities? I could name half a dozen and mostly they are simply a PITA.

John

Last edited:
Yes Bob, we've got that far but why do the manufacturers keep trying to reinvent the wheel and offer us such stupidities? I could name half a dozen and mostly they are simply a PITA.

John

Don't ask me. :h?:

Its the only real complaint I have with that binocular. I also had the "Push Pin" swivel fall out of it one time:eek!:! Good thing I was holding it in my hand when it happened.

What happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Bob

I was in a similar position to you, I really liked the new CL's but just before buying I thought I'd try the 8x32 EL's and as nice as the CL's are the EL's are much better. The difference in weight isn't that much but the feeling in the hand & the quality just feels right and they have a wider FOV too.

My advice would be if you're going to invest in a pair of Swarovski bins get the 8x32 EL's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back