Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski EL eyecups (eyeglass wearers)

Old Thursday 20th December 2018, 21:58   #1
piper_hm

Swarovski EL eyecups (eyeglass wearers)

I love my recently purchased 8.5x42 EL Fieldpros, but for those that wear glasses, has anyone found the rubber on the eyecups to be thick to the point that it inhibits a bit of the FOV? Dare I say...too much eye relief?

I'm thinking in comparison to some models with 'lower profile' eyecups in the Leica or Zeiss models, where the distance between the end of the eyecup and objective lens is reduced.
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 02:02   #2
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
I love my recently purchased 8.5x42 EL Fieldpros, but for those that wear glasses, has anyone found the rubber on the eyecups to be thick to the point that it inhibits a bit of the FOV? Dare I say...too much eye relief?

I'm thinking in comparison to some models with 'lower profile' eyecups in the Leica or Zeiss models, where the distance between the end of the eyecup and objective lens is reduced.
Yes.
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 10:10   #3
MandoBear

With my glasses I have the eyecups turned up to the first "click" - I tend to get blackouts if I have them fully down. But then, my glasses are of the rimless design.
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 13:26   #4
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
It just goes to show how different folks' experience can be. Here is Piper who finds the eyecups push his eyes too far away from the eyepiece. And BTW eye relief is a consequence of the optics and although the eyecup works with the ER they don't cause it. On the other hand we have Mandobear who needs the eyecups screwed up one notch. Two quite contradictory experiences.

The ER/eyecup combo is designed to suit as many folks as possible but with such a variety of facial shapes and spectacles designs it is unlikely any manufacturer is going to find a combination that will suit everybody.

Lee
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 13:54   #5
piper_hm

A Swarovski rep threw a spare set of EL eyecups in the mail for me to experiment with free of charge. Can't ask for better customer service than that!
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 15:17   #6
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
It just goes to show how different folks' experience can be. Here is Piper who finds the eyecups push his eyes too far away from the eyepiece. And BTW eye relief is a consequence of the optics and although the eyecup works with the ER they don't cause it. On the other hand we have Mandobear who needs the eyecups screwed up one notch. Two quite contradictory experiences.

The ER/eyecup combo is designed to suit as many folks as possible but with such a variety of facial shapes and spectacles designs it is unlikely any manufacturer is going to find a combination that will suit everybody.

Lee
True, but the 19mm on my 7X42 SLC requires me to extend the eyecup. On my 20mm Swarovisions the eyecups stay down and I'd like a tad more eye relief for the same comfort level I get with the 7X42 SLC. The eyecups on the Swarovisions have too much space between the rim of the eyecup and the glass. Why, I do not know. Same company, different results.

I also remember the 7X42 Leica BN had better eye relief than my 7X42 Ultravid...due to the eyecup design.

Last, but not least, the 17mm eye relief I get with the 8X32 SE works just fine.
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 15:48   #7
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
True, but the 19mm on my 7X42 SLC requires me to extend the eyecup. On my 20mm Swarovisions the eyecups stay down and I'd like a tad more eye relief for the same comfort level I get with the 7X42 SLC. The eyecups on the Swarovisions have too much space between the rim of the eyecup and the glass. Why, I do not know. Same company, different results.

I also remember the 7X42 Leica BN had better eye relief than my 7X42 Ultravid...due to the eyecup design.

Last, but not least, the 17mm eye relief I get with the 8X32 SE works just fine.
Yes. I experience variable results from the same brand too. But always remember the eye relief is the distance above the top lens of the position where you can see the full field of view. This is eye relief. Whether the eyecup delivers your eye or your eye plus spectacles to this position is a different question.

Lee
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 18:38   #8
piper_hm

[quote=The eyecups on the Swarovisions have too much space between the rim of the eyecup and the glass. Why, I do not know. Same company, different results.

Last, but not least, the 17mm eye relief I get with the 8X32 SE works just fine.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is something I've never experienced with other binos - with the thicker rubber, the eyecups are rather deep, unlike the older style SLC eyecups.
Old Saturday 22nd December 2018, 21:21   #9
Bill Atwood
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBear View Post
With my glasses I have the eyecups turned up to the first "click" - I tend to get blackouts if I have them fully down.
I have the same problem. Placed rubber o-rings (about 1/16" thick) just behind the rubber part of the eyecup as the best compromise between blackouts and max FOV.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: