• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix P900 setting advice (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Hello I have recently updated my camera to a Nikon Coolpix P900. Firstly I must stress and I know very little about Cameras, my last Cannon I used completely on Auto until I dropped it. I was advised to use the following settings on my new Nikon. 1. Use setting A. 2. Turn Digital zoom off. 3. !SO 1600 4. F8. I am having problems obtaining a sharp picture of the bird. The camera is focusing on twigs or the nearest object leaving the subject bird fuzzy as the attached picture. I think the picture was taken on full zoom.

Any advice really appreciated but please keep it simple.
Pity the picture is fuzzy I think its a Brambling and is a lifer.

Mike.

Attachments

• DSCN0252.jpg
    DSCN0252.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Think Brambling it is, the light colored bill and the patterns are pretty distinctive.

Do note that your camera correctly focused on the twigs that were in front of your bird, so you could have had a really nicely focused image it the camera had been so guided.
The challenge is that the user gets no useful instruction from the manuals. We rely on the automatics, because the manual setup is nearly impenetrable, but the automatics are not birding oriented.
Afaik, the P1000 now has a 'Birding' setting, where the camera uses a small center point for focusing, but I don't think the P900 has that. There is however I believe a focus option for a small center spot, which would have served you better in this instance than the broader area focus applied here.

Thank you for replying, There is a birding set on the P900 I will try that, also I will look at a single point setting.

Mike

I have now changed the camera from multi point focus to centre point focus which has made a lot of difference, thank you.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back