Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

8.5x42?

Old Saturday 24th November 2018, 15:37   #1
Rev44

8.5x42?

I currently own the SLC hd 10x42. I really like them but they might be a bit much in the woods for me. Sometimes hard to pick up objects right away. I am thinking about getting a different pair and looking at the 8.5x42. One question I have is can you get them new without the field pro package or is that all they offer? Just looking to see if I can get them at a better price. Thanks
Old Saturday 24th November 2018, 17:35   #2
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Why not the 8x42 SLC - a great bin and would be cheaper too.
Old Saturday 24th November 2018, 23:09   #3
John A Roberts

Hi Rev44

I presume the main cause of your problem is excess magnification - verses a too restricted field of view?
And although we tend to look for expensive equipment based solutions, you could try some low-tech, no-cost/ low-cost options first.

To gain some extra steadiness:
- Wear a cap and hold the bill of the cap along with the binoculars;

- Place your back against a tree trunk, which will help steady your upper body;

- Use a suitable tree trunk or branch to rest a hand holding your binoculars against (it further helps if you can rest a forearm or thigh against the tree trunk), and to gain the most in steadiness;

- Sit down and rest your elbows on your knees along with your back against a tree (don't rest bone-on-bone - elbow point on knee point - but have the elbows slightly higher up the thighs for more steadiness and comfort).

I’ve previously posted about using a 2 ounce $4 improvised support - a squeegee. See: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369280
The takeaway is: it provides a solid two point support for your binocular, resting the weight on your upper chest; it's quick to use, and; it can be used standing or sitting.

Towards a steadier future

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Saturday 24th November 2018 at 23:59.
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 00:05   #4
mpeace

In short no the Field Pro is the latest version of the 8.5x42 and the previous Swarovision model is no longer made. If you're open to second hand, you can get some good deals on the Swarovision.
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 00:22   #5
Rev44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
Hi Rev44

I presume the main cause of your problem is excess magnification - verses a too restricted field of view?
And although we tend to look for expensive equipment based solutions, you could try some low-tech, no-cost/ low-cost options first.

To gain some extra steadiness:
- Wear a cap and hold the bill of the cap along with the binoculars;

- Place your back against a tree trunk, which will help steady your upper body;

- Use a suitable tree trunk or branch to rest a hand holding your binoculars against (it further helps if you can rest a forearm or thigh against the tree trunk), and to gain the most in steadiness;

- Sit down and rest your elbows on your knees along with your back against a tree (don't rest bone-on-bone - elbow point on knee point - but have the elbows slightly higher up the thighs for more steadiness and comfort).

I’ve previously posted about using a 2 ounce $4 improvised support - a squeegee. See: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369280
The takeaway is: it provides a solid two point support for your binocular, resting the weight on your upper chest; it's quick to use, and; it can be used standing or sitting.

Towards a steadier future

John
It pretty much comes down the FOV. I really like them and the glass is great. It's that i find myself losing or having a hard time finding animals in thick cover. The steadiness isn't a problem I do some glassing on edges of crop fields but nothing that is more than 4-500 yards. I was looking at the 8.5 and yes they are a little pricey for me.
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 00:45   #6
ceasar

Look into the Nikon Monarch 8x42 HG. It costs just under $1000.00 and has a wide FOV.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...tTabs-Overview

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 01:38   #7
Rev44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Look into the Nikon Monarch 8x42 HG. It costs just under $1000.00 and has a wide FOV.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...tTabs-Overview
Will do. Thank you. Hard part is I have absolutely no stores within 3 hrs to try anything.
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 02:09   #8
John A Roberts

Hi again Rev44,

You originally queried the availability of the non-FieldPro EL SV’s

EL SV UPGRADE TO FIELDPRO VERSION
All three of the EL SV lines were upgraded in June 2015 (the x42’s and x32’s from #F8524, and the x50’s from #F8526)

This info is from Swarovski's spare part catalogue EFT 2016 (EFT is short for ERSATZTEILKATALOG - FERNGLASER, TELESKOPE und Optronische Gerate i.e. 'Spare Parts Catalogue - Binoculars, Telescopes and Optoelectronic Instruments')

SECOND HAND pre-FIELDPRO UNITS
The x42 pre-FieldPro version goes from mid-2009 (around #F7927) to mid-2015, and there are plenty of second-hand offerings on the ‘net
If you don’t mind some cosmetic wear, and you’ve got the time to wait, you could pick up an optical bargain

Second hand EL’s often show with what appears to be considerable cosmetic wear. This is because the black finish easily wears off the high points on the bridge arms and exposes the white magnesium underneath
This makes them look as if they may have taken a beating and that pushes down the price, since there are also a lot of other second-hand units without the wear

The key is that if you look closely, you’ll often see that the rest of the finish is pristine
So if you want a user rather than a looker, you could do well

Also, as you’ve got no local stores the ‘net would seem to be the way to go - you'll have a wide variety of units to choose from

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Sunday 25th November 2018 at 02:20.
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 02:57   #9
Rev44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
Hi again Rev44,

You originally queried the availability of the non-FieldPro EL SV’s

EL SV UPGRADE TO FIELDPRO VERSION
All three of the EL SV lines were upgraded in June 2015 (the x42’s and x32’s from #F8524, and the x50’s from #F8526)

This info is from Swarovski's spare part catalogue EFT 2016 (EFT is short for ERSATZTEILKATALOG - FERNGLASER, TELESKOPE und Optronische Gerate i.e. 'Spare Parts Catalogue - Binoculars, Telescopes and Optoelectronic Instruments')

SECOND HAND pre-FIELDPRO UNITS
The x42 pre-FieldPro version goes from mid-2009 (around #F7927) to mid-2015, and there are plenty of second-hand offerings on the ‘net
If you don’t mind some cosmetic wear, and you’ve got the time to wait, you could pick up an optical bargain

Second hand EL’s often show with what appears to be considerable cosmetic wear. This is because the black finish easily wears off the high points on the bridge arms and exposes the white magnesium underneath
This makes them look as if they may have taken a beating and that pushes down the price, since there are also a lot of other second-hand units without the wear

The key is that if you look closely, you’ll often see that the rest of the finish is pristine
So if you want a user rather than a looker, you could do well

Also, as you’ve got no local stores the ‘net would seem to be the way to go - you'll have a wide variety of units to choose from

John
Thank you for all that! Lots of good info as I don't know a lot about all the binos. Still learning and have learned a lot on this site. I don't need them right away. I have looked at a few places but haven't found really any so far. I will keep looking. I would like to find a place that has the HG and a few others just to compare. Thanks again
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 08:28   #10
Gijs van Ginkel

Rev 44, post 1,
If you cannot or will not spent more than 1000 euros one of the Meopta Meostars B1 may be an excellent choice: 8x42, 7x42 (production stopped I think, but they are still available). The Meoptas are as far as quality is concerned to compare with the other top brands.
Gijs van Ginkel

Last edited by Troubador : Sunday 25th November 2018 at 09:36.
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 09:38   #11
Troubador

Rev

I heartily agree with Gijs: Meopta B1 8x42 or 7x42 would be a great choice.

Lee
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 16:50   #12
Rev44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Rev

I heartily agree with Gijs: Meopta B1 8x42 or 7x42 would be a great choice.

Lee
I would like to try a pair of these out. Might have to make a long trip and see!?
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 19:37   #13
amgc36

The 8.5x42 EL Swarovision pre- FieldPro was in the market for a long time and there are definitely good second-hand deals to be found. I have a Leica Ultravid HD Plus 10x50 that I love, as well as a small Minox APO HG 10x43. Depending on the distances I expect to need to cover, I will bring those and/or my Swarovski. The 8.5x42 have a nice wide FOV and the .5 extra magnification over most 8x42 is a subtle but welcome feature.

Although I have steady hands, the 8x binoculars are definitely easier to keep balanced on subject. Also, if you go into areas with more dense foliage, the 10x quickly get to be too close, as it were.
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 01:05   #14
NDhunter

I would look for a preowned 8.5 SV. The 8.5 size is very nice, I have owned the EL model for
many years and as mentioned 8.5 is a nice step up over 8X.

Swarovski has promoted the 8.5 EL as the "Universal Distance Viewer", and I do agree with that,
a great choice between 8 and 10X.

The Swarovision optics have not been changed since they were introduced in 2009. Field Pro is a non issue, just a gimmick.

Good luck with your purchase. This is the way to go.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 01:25   #15
dries1

Jerry what happened with your previous avatar. This (eagle) guy looks POd, and the reddish/brown? hair piece - looks Trumpish.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 01:38   #16
NDhunter

I live on a farm, and this fall we had a lot of bald eagles fly by and stop here.

I was able to snap this photo.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 02:04   #17
dries1

I like the look. Thumbs up.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 14:38   #18
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev44 View Post
I currently own the SLC hd 10x42. I really like them but they might be a bit much in the woods for me. Sometimes hard to pick up objects right away. I am thinking about getting a different pair and looking at the 8.5x42. One question I have is can you get them new without the field pro package or is that all they offer? Just looking to see if I can get them at a better price. Thanks
I can understand that.

Field Pro is all that is currently offered.

I agree with the recommendations of SLC 8X42, Monarch HG 8X42, and Meopta 7X42 above. I'd like to add a Leica UVHD+ 7X42 to that.

Have you thought about a 8X32? SV 8X32 and Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 are good ones.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 01:38   #19
sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
.. Field Pro is a non issue, just a gimmick.

Jerry
I wouldn't call the FP a gimmick. A couple of nice improvements such as the better feel of the rubber body covering and particularly the way the objective caps are attached.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: