Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the library...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 30th July 2017, 07:16   #76
mb1848

Thanks to Björn, Mr. Osawa and Mr. Morinaka for the OD! There is 'a' Gitaro Wada listed with a birth date of 1897.
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...n__ftp=NC&so=2 .
In July 1937 a Gitaro Wada was considered a spy by Indian (British?) authorities.
https://books.google.com/books?id=rE...i_CwkQ6AEIKDAA .
Old Sunday 30th July 2017, 08:06   #77
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Mark, yes, we also found that "Gitaro Wada", of Yehime Ken, Japan, born in 1897, but couldn't (in any way) link him to Yamashina or New Guinea, nor to the bird in question.

Sure, he could be "our" Mr. Wada ... or not.

I have no idea of how common that name is in Japan.
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 15:14   #78
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Post OD of kikutii found!

Some days ago, thanks to the kindness of Sheng-Shan Lu, of the Division of Forest Protection, Taiwan Forestry Research Institute, I also received a copy of:

Momiyama T. T. (1927). A note on Japanese Zosteropidae, with descriptions of new subspecies. Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa 17 (No.92): pp. 299-307.

And I met my Japanese friend Nobuhiko Osawa the other day, who now have had a thorough look trough it, but he couldn´t find any Mr. Kikutchi/Kikuti mentioned anywhere in the Japanese text. Only locations and descriptions, he said. And the name itself.

To me (I understand close to nothing of it!) the key part seems to be found on page 305:
Quote:
“Kikuti-mediro” Kikuti, ‘Tori’ i, no. 5, 1917, p. 97 (Kôtôsyo & Kasyôtô).
... (or see attached excerpts*) which is a refrence that take us further back 10 years, to the Japanese ornithological Journal Tori (Bird), of 1917, vol. 1, No.5, and p.97. That one is far easier to find, it´s in the BHL collection (here), bottom part (below the waved line, over it is a different topic all together).

If the scientific name kikutii does commemorate Yonetaro Kikuchi/Kikuti (or yet another Kikuti), alt. originate from a place or a local (Formosan/Taiwanese) name for the "mediro"/"mejiro" (Japanese name for Zosterops), that in its Japanese interpretation, turned out as "Kikuti" ... I haven´t got a clue! ... this said, of course, without understanding close to nothing of Japanese.

But I assume Laurent is correct, in his concluding sentence in Post #73: "I think it would now take a lot to convince me that Y. Kikuchi/-ti was not the dedicatee". Nobuhiko Osawa also thinks it does, even if no out-spoken dedication tells us either way, in neither one of these two Japanese journals (according to him).

Either way: now we have the last part (i.e. two parts) of where it was published for the first time (times).

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. Good luck understanding/cracking it! (... if anyone find it worthwhile to dig on?)
__________________________________________________ _________________

*The pdf of the OD itself is too large (9,6MB) to attach, but if anyone wants a copy of the full Paper, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z. p. kikutii Momiyama, subsp. nov..jpg
Views:	63
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	634657  Click image for larger version

Name:	Excerpt, Momiyama 1927.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	634658  

Last edited by Calalp : Monday 31st July 2017 at 22:39. Reason: typo
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 07:57   #79
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

A very, very likely explanation of djadja ...

My friend Nobuhiko Osawa delivers again!

Even if the OD itself still remain to be found I shared our question regarding djadja, which didn´t remind him of anything, but he got curious as well, and contacted a Nature friend of his in Japan, they both searched the (Japanese) internet, chated back and forth, and came to the conclusion ("not 100% sure", he said, "but 99") that:

djadja is an onamatopetic Japanese name for the Zitting Cisticola Cisticola juncidis, based on the Japanese interpretation of its call ("often heard in distance").

Well done!

Björn

PS. In my judgement the most likely call would be the courtship call, and probably the end of it, while descending. The end of this call is in western field guides (Birds of East Asia, by Mark Brazil, 2009) transcribed as "chat chat chat". And why not, in Japanese ears: dja dja (dja).
Old Thursday 10th August 2017, 16:28   #80
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Recap from #50 (as this thread is getting hard to survey), the following are the only remaining ones i James's list:

Quote:
Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1944 Goura scheepmakeri wadai Yamashina, 14 (1), p. 1
= CHECK!

●Buturlin, S. A. 1929. Sistematicheskiye zametki o ptitsakh Severnogo Kavkaza.
1929 Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin, p. 15
[Бутурлин С.А. 1926. Птицы Северного Кавказа. Систематические заметки о птицах Северного Кавказа]

Dōbutsugaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tametomo Momiyama, 35, p. 412
[Doubutsugaku zasshi alt. Dobutsu-gaku Zasshi (動物学雑誌)]

Ezhegodnik Muzeya Poltavskogo Gubernskogo Zemstva 1914-1915. Poltava.
1917 Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 3-4, pp. 82+
[Гавриленко Н.И. 1917. Предварительные сведения о птицах Полтавской губернии // Ежегодник Музея Полтавского Губернского Земства 1914–1915. Полтава, С. 21–95]

The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts, …
1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87
[The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts; embracing Mineralogy, Geology, Natural History, Physics, &c.]

Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa. Taihoku [= Taipei].
1927 Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 17, p. 304
= CHECK! (... even if still "unseen" in today's HBW Alive Key )

●Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornitofauna gornogo khrebta Bassek, ee ekologicheskiye i zoologicheskiye svyazi.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova, p.?
[Уварова. 1950. Орнитофауна горного хребта Бассег, ее экологические и зоогеографическне связи (автореферат), Сев. Урал]

Quarterly journal of the Calcutta Medical and Physical Society.
1937 Palœornis cuculio McClelland, 1 (3), p. 322
= CHECK!
1937 Phasianus ryanius McClelland, 1 (3), p. 322 = CHECK!

(●Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.)
1977 Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado-Ruíz, 3, p. 36?
1981 Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruiz, vol.7?, p.?...
Only six Journals (or eight birds) to go!
--

Last edited by Calalp : Thursday 10th August 2017 at 17:25. Reason: red
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 13:46   #81
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

And by the way; something might, could be (all) wrong with latter Journal regarding the volumes/issues wanted!?

Revista Forestal Baracoa, vol. 1 was published in 1971 (onwards supposedly with 2 issues per year), and note that the same Author wrote:
Regalado Ruiz, P. 1975. Primer hallazgo de Speotyto cunicularia (Molina) criando en Cuba. Revista Forestal Baracoa 5 (l-2):36-56.

On top of that I think we, someone, maybe (hopefully!) can find "Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae" in:
Quote:
Reagalado Ruiz, P. 1977. "Nueva subespecie de Contopus caribaeus (Aves) para Cuba. (in Spanish) [New subspecies of Contopus caribaeus (Aves) from Cuba]. Instituto de Desarollo y Aprovechamiento Forestales, La Habana Cuba.
The artikel in Revista Foresal Baracoa, 1977 (Jan-Jun.), p.37-40, looks like it´s only a summary of the latter. [It´s also cited as: Regalado Ruíz, P. (1977) Nueva subespecie de Contopus caribaeus (Aves) para Cuba. Rev. Forestal Nos. 1–2: 37–40.]

Nova series? New series?

If we find either one of them we might also find the "p. 36?" still missing!
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 13:51   #82
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

And James, regarding today's HBW Aive Key entry:
Quote:
rosamariae
Female eponym; dedication unseen (Regalado Ruiz ?1981, ?Revista Forestal Baracoa, vol.?, p.?) (see Buden & Olson 1989, Appendix, which indicates that this name may not have been published) (syn. Melanerpes superciliosus).
Don´t you mean M. superciliaris?

Or?
Old Tuesday 17th October 2017, 12:36   #83
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

One less to look for!

Thanks to the kindness of Mr. Koichi Ohashi at the Library at AFFRIT (Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Research Information Technology Center) in Ibaraki, Japan, I have (on James's behalf) now recieved a Photo copy of Momiyama's paper in Dōbutsugaku Zasshi alt. Doubutsugaku zasshi or Dobutsu-gaku Zasshi (動物学雑誌), vol. 35 (No. 417-422): pp. 400-415 (all in Japanese!)

Due to Japenese copyright rules it will not be published here in full, however I will forward it all to James. In a day or two. Thereby (if anyone is still looking for it; relax); it´s no longer "unsen", but found. Now in the pipe-line to be translated.

This paper includes the ODs of the following ten birds:
(1) "Otus bakkamoena hatchizionis, subsp. nov." (pp.400-401)
(2) "Microscelis amaurotis matchie, subsp. nov." (pp.401-402)
(3) "Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei, subsp. nov." (pp.402-403)
(4) "Erithacus akahige sgectatoris, subsp. nov." (pp.403-404)
(5) "Merula celaenops kurodai, subsp. nov." (pp.404-408)
(6) "Cisticola cisticola djadja, subsp. nov." (p.408)
(7) "Horornis cantans medius, subsp. nov." (pp.408-410)
(8) "Parus major chimae, subsp. nov." (pp.410-412)
(9) "Emberiza cioides tametomo, subsp. nov." (pp.412-413)
(10) "Chloris sinica sitchitoensis, subsp. nov." (pp.413-414)

If I bump into my Japanese friend and neighbour Nobuhiko Osawa, maybe he can explain some of it? We´ll see.

Björn

PS. If anyone else wants a copy, don´t hesitate to ask (if so use the BirdForum Private Message system and let me have your regular e-mail-address, as it will be a file too large to be attached here).
--

Last edited by Calalp : Wednesday 18th October 2017 at 08:28. Reason: PS.
Old Tuesday 31st October 2017, 10:34   #84
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

My neighbour and friend Nobuhiko Osawa delivers again!

After he´d read the full paper by Momiyama (1923) we had a chat in my studio some days ago, and after that he was kind enough to sit down by the computer and put some of his words in writing (as below, in English, the paper itself is all in Japanese) ...

• regarding "Cisticola cisticola djadja" he wrote:
Quote:
In this article I couldn't find a single hint that suggested how come this name.
I have read a couple of articles in which authors tried to express warbler's songs(notes).
Both expressed same way.Acording to them Warbler sings:

1) when they flying down "djadja djadja" or "chocho chocho
2) when they flying far away "dja dja"
[...]
Onomatopoeia is only one my solution for this mysterious name.
To back it up he attached the following (Japanese) links; here and here.
Thereby I conclude that he did pin-point it already in post #79!
Also see my PS in the same post.

• ... and about "Emberiza cioides tametomo" he wrote [the OD includes neither explanation nor any dedication]:
Quote:
... japanese name: Tametomo ho-ji-ro ( = tametomo bunting), ho-ji-ro is japanese name for bunting.

Here is my guess:
When he named this bunting Mr.Momiyama thought:
Minamoto no Tametomo (first name) was well-known samurai (then, but even today specially among the older generation). So when you name Tametomo many japanese remind this samurai and his name in turn probably assosiate Oshima in Izu islands (regard references).
Since Oshima is habit of this subspecies, using name of Tametomo instead of Island's name might be little literary and sounded good.
He also attached the following Wiki-links; here and ditto here (in Swedish)

Thereby I assume the scientific name tametomo commemorates the epic, great Japanese Samurai and commander Minamoto no Tametomo (1139–1170), of the Minamoto clan, a k a Chinzei Hachirō Tametomo, in the end bannished to the Island Oshima (a k a Ōshima, Izu-Oshima), where this bird was found!

According to Wikipedia this guy was: "Son of Minamoto no Tameyoshi and brother of Yukiie and Yoshimoto" [my italics]. Tametomo is (in the Japanese mind-set) closely associated with the Izu Island chain and Oshima Island. He is also (even if it has nothing to do with the issue itself) known as the very first to commit seppuku!

On top of this Nobuhiko Osawa also, as a mere bonus, added some additional thoughts regarding the explanation of:
• "Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei", as he slightly disagree on the HBW Alive Key's explantion, i.e. on the part in brackets: "(cf. Japanese name Mosuke for the wren)" ...
Quote:
Mizosazai is japanese name for wren.
And he adds (in ink pen): "Mosuke doesn´t mean wren in Japanese, but a name of [a] Japanese man". The OD includes no outspoken dedication, however it tells us:
Quote:
Mr. Mosuke Saito was an old man and an inhabitant of Hachijo (spelled Hatchiziou then) island. He donated a pair of juvenile wrens to Mr. Momiyama.
Also see attached excerpt. To be extra clear Nobuhiko explains: "Mosuke is Mr. Saito's first name." Note that the Island Hachijo (old Hatchiziou alt. Hachijyo jima) also is part (in the centre) of the Izu Island chain.

If this Mr. Mosuke Saito is the same guy as the Key's "Mosuke Satô" is unknown to both of us, but it ought to be, doesn´t it? I assume it´s simply a question of how it´s transcribed. In any case Nobuhiko Osawa added that he would transcribe the Japanese name, of the guy mentioned in the OD, as "Saito" (in Western letters).

What can one say, but (again): Dômo arigatô gozaimasu.

That´s it: enjoy!

Björn
--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T. t. mosukei.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	644842  

Last edited by Calalp : Tuesday 31st October 2017 at 11:02. Reason: my usual typo
Old Wednesday 1st November 2017, 10:30   #85
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Summary, this far

So; what´s left?

Quote:
●Buturlin, S. A. 1929. Sistematicheskiye zametki o ptitsakh Severnogo Kavkaza.
1929 Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin, p. 15
[Бутурлин С.А. 1926. Птицы Северного Кавказа. Систематические заметки о птицах Северного Кавказа]

Ezhegodnik Muzeya Poltavskogo Gubernskogo Zemstva 1914-1915. Poltava.
1917 Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 3-4, pp. 82+
[Гавриленко Н.И. 1917. Предварительные сведения о птицах Полтавской губернии // Ежегодник Музея Полтавского Губернского Земства 1914–1915. Полтава, С. 21–95]

The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts, …
1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87
[The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts; embracing Mineralogy, Geology, Natural History, Physics, &c.]

●Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornitofauna gornogo khrebta Bassek, ee ekologicheskiye i zoologicheskiye svyazi.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova, p.?
[Уварова. 1950. Орнитофауна горного хребта Бассег, ее экологические и зоогеографическне связи (автореферат), Сев. Урал]

(●Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.)
1977 Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado-Ruíz, 3, p. 36?
1981 Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruiz, vol.7?, p.?...
Only five (or six birds). That´s all ...

Good luck finding those as well!

Björn

PS. I´m done in this thread. See you all elsewhere!
Old Wednesday 31st October 2018, 09:01   #86
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

marthae & rosamariae

Long overdue, I know ... but I simply have to re-open this old thread, as I this Monday received the following message, from Isis Benítez, Instituto de Investigaciones Agro-Forestales, La Habana (Havanna), Cuba:
Quote:
Le comunico que he buscado en la Revista Forestal Baracoa desde 1971 hasta 1992 y no hay ningún artículo del autor Pedro Regalado Ruiz que haga referencia a lo solicitado por usted:

● Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado-Ruíz 1977
● Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruíz 1981(?)
Thereby I think we can forget about finding those two names in Revista Forestal Baracoa, at least in that particular Journal. If ever published elsewhere is beyond my knowledge. To me it looks like Buden & Olson was correct, back in 1989 (here, p.32), when they indicated that those names may not have been published at all ... !? None of them?

With many, many thanks to the kindness and perseverance of Isis Benítez, for making time, on own accord, to voluntarily search through all those hundreds, thousands of pages, simply as a spontaneous response to my minor inquiry.

Occasionally you just have to love people's willingness to help!

Björn

PS. Also dealt with in thread Etymologies; the beginning of the end, or .... (here), as well as in the even older thread Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana., from back in 2013 (here).
Old Friday 18th January 2019, 16:33   #87
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Surprisingly, the Cuban ornithologist Arturo Kirkconnell (Sr.) has apparently seen the OD of "Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae"... !?!

At least according to this Paper in Cotinga 14 (2000), as in; "Rev. Forestal 33: 34-37", see the List of Referencias, end of Paper (Ref. No. 11).

If still of any interest?

Björn

PS. Either way; it´s probably at typo as "vol 33", of Revista Forestal Baracoa, seems to be from 2014. See here. But would he list it, if he hadn't seen it? Maybe its not the Baracoa issue at all ... ?
--

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 18th January 2019 at 17:02. Reason: PS.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: