• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Record high temperatures in Australia (1 Viewer)

Interesting additional point: with 48.3° in Australia (Tibooburra, NSW), and -57.5° in Russia (Delyankir near Oymyakon), both at 06.00 UTC today, over 105° difference between the hottest & coldest :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Highest temperatures on record in Australia. Not only some people landed in hospitals, but also many bats have died and fruit orchards got spoiled.
https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/world/australia-boils-in-record-breaking-heat/ar-BBSpyJd?li=BBr8HnF

The amount of energy in these steep mean increases over a huge area (and also large increases in minimum (overnight) temperatures is phenomenal. Maybe someone on Bird Forum with the expertise can do a useful approximation?
MJB

Did you bother to research global areas that are enduring record or near-record cold? Alaska has been in the grips of extreme, bitter cold for weeks now.

The media isn't too forthcoming about those opposing stats because those facts undermine their AGW theology...

Last edited:
Did you bother to research global areas that are enduring record or near-record cold? Alaska has been in the grips of extreme, bitter cold for weeks now.

The media isn't too forthcoming about those opposing stats because those facts undermine their AGW theology...

There has been plenty in the science and in the media about how climate change is leading to increased occurrence of extreme weather events (colder colds, hotter hots, wetter wets....) while the overall climate trend is warming

There has been plenty in the science and in the media about how climate change is leading to increased occurrence of extreme weather events (colder colds, hotter hots, wetter wets....) while the overall climate trend is warming

Indeed, but try to get that through the head of the average AGW denier. . ..

Of course there is plenty in the media. You're reading exactly what 'they' want you to read!
And don't get me started on colluding, corrupt 'peer review' scientists. They are a joke.
Many people (AGW 'deniers' included) believe that the planet has warmed to some extent. It is the causation that remains in question.
The ebb and flow of colder colds, hotter hots, and wetter wets has been cycling for millennia, driven primarily by solar flares (and conversely, solar inactively) and volcanic actively.

And I personally won't hold my breath waiting for the media to put forth information that doesn't unequivocally promote anything but AGW theology. They refuse to print AGW controversy and contratry opinion. Much like the tactics of some on this very forum, dissenters are targeted, mocked, marginalized and discredited, regardless of their experience or expertise.

I'm extremely pessimistic about the survival prospects of a number of Australian bird species thanks to climate change. I visited parts of inland Victoria and NSW in 2016, and it was clear that quite a few species were at a very low ebb thanks to long-term drought.

Of course, droughts are nothing new in this part of the world, and indigenous birds are adapted to drought conditions, but the duration, intensity and frequency have increased to the point that may exceed their capacity to survive. Couple this with chronic overgrazing from livestock and unnaturally high populations of kangaroos (thanks to artifical water sources), and landscape-level fires resulting from inadequate controlled burn regimes, and you have a perfect storm.

It's Hot ! Damn Hot !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJBbK2XNbE

This latest heatwave (in part triggering the huge fish kill in the Darling River) , and the one to follow next week, were caused by "blocking highs" in the Tasman Sea, allowing air to just sit in the centre of the country (largely rock and desert) and along with clear skies allowed the heat of mid summer solar radiation to just accumulate.

I don't know if these weather system phenomena are predicted by models (or linked to the deep ocean conveyor) -- but I'm sure one can be made to fit ;)

The country posted it's highest ever overnight minimum temperature of 35.9°C (up by 0.4°C) , however the highest ever recorded daytime temperature is still the 50.7°C set way back in 1960.

Marble Bar (in WA) also posted 160 days in a row over 1923/1924 of over 37.9°C (100°F in the old money) ...... how people survived that I have no idea. No hypothesized "AGW" effects back then.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia

I wonder what effect the large areas of land clearing and open cut mining, and widespread hydrological functioning disruption (capture of overland flows, degradation /destruction of wetlands, and the soil sponge, and intersection and draining of natural aquifers, etc) is having on the tendency of the country to store increasing heat) ........ ?? :cat:

This phenomenon is studied and understood in urban /suburban environments (Urban Heat Islands become Urban Heat Continents: https://www.news.com.au/technology/...t/news-story/0df25ff17daedbb5793b20da70968671 ), but if the broader landscape effect is studied in the scientific realms it is certainly not making it onto the mainstream media radar.

Nor is the contribution to the Great Barrier Reef die back events caused by excess fertilizer /nutrients, and sediment run off from cleared agricultural lands.

Seems like these are all "fertile" areas for scientific enquiry ......

Oh, and the biggest mystery around the incidence of Bushfires (or Brush or Wildfires as they are called stateside) is ...... which idiot started them ?! :storm: coz sure as heck the vast majority are NOT started by lightning ........

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
"Snowflake"...

That's worth a chuckle coming from you....

“The pejorative sense of ‘an overly sensitive person’ arose from a still-common misconception that no two snowflakes are alike. ‘Snowflake’ as a derogatory term was popularized by its use in the 1996 novel Fight Club. . .but the insult had existed for a significant amount of time prior to this, although not in popular use. In recent years, the meaning has expanded from ‘a person who believes they are unique’ to also denote someone who is too sensitive and is easily offended, based on conceptions of snowflakes' fragility and weakness.”

Fits you like glove my friend, fits you like a glove. . ..

Last edited:

The country posted it's highest ever overnight minimum temperature of 35.9°C (up by 0.4°C) , however the highest ever recorded daytime temperature is still the 50.7°C set way back in 1960.

Marble Bar (in WA) also posted 160 days in a row over 1923/1924 of over 37.9°C (100°F in the old money) ...... how people survived that I have no idea. No hypothesized "AGW" effects back then.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia

Chosun :gh:

Thanks for the insights and link, Chosun, it will likely go unaddressed here. It certainly doesn't fit the alarmist narrative.

Thanks for the insights and link, Chosun, it will likely go unaddressed here. It certainly doesn't fit the alarmist narrative.

Sigh. . .. An outlier or two proves nothing, it’s the general trend that counts. If you had the slightest grasp of statistical reasoning you would know this.

And don't get me started on colluding, corrupt 'peer review' scientists. They are a joke.

Oh please do get started Litebeam: put your money where your big mouth is for once.

Many people (AGW 'deniers' included) believe that the planet has warmed to some extent.
'Believe' is irrelevant, you can just measure this.

It is the causation that remains in question. The ebb and flow of colder colds, hotter hots, and wetter wets has been cycling for millennia, driven primarily by solar flares (and conversely, solar inactively) and volcanic actively.
This is factually incorrect. Read up here:
https://www.skepticalscience.com/solar-activity-sunspots-global-warming.htm
https://www.skepticalscience.com/volcanoes-and-global-warming.htm

You call AGW a 'theology' and urge us to be 'unbiased' and 'consider all the facts'. Well, go ahead the and present to us your comprehensive scientific theory that satisfies all observations and our combined knowledge biogeochemistry, atmospheric physics, thermodynamics etc. The one put forward by my community of 'corrupt, colluding' colleagues stands. Now substantiate the hubris and show everyone you can do better.

Hi Chosun,

I don't know if these weather system phenomena are predicted by models (or linked to the deep ocean conveyor) -- but I'm sure one can be made to fit ;)
Not really as the models work on much bigger spatial and temporal scales. Going down to that kind of resolution requires computational power, advanced machine learning and a density of 'training' data we don't yet have available. However, advances are being made - have a look at this editorial in NPJ CAS https://www.nature.com/articles/s41612-018-0057-1
And I noticed your cheeky dig at the models ;) but validation is a critical part of any modeling effort, also outside climate science (medicine, finance, route planners etc etc). If your model can't fit what you've already observed it's not doing it right!

A similar argument is often made about 1934 in North America. However, as already pointed out the extremes are part of the 'noise' around the general global trend. See also here: https://www.skepticalscience.com/1934-hottest-year-on-record-basic.htm (there's more info in under the 'intermediate' tab).

I wonder what effect the large areas of land clearing and open cut mining, and widespread hydrological functioning disruption (capture of overland flows, degradation /destruction of wetlands, and the soil sponge, and intersection and draining of natural aquifers, etc) is having on the tendency of the country to store increasing heat) ........ ?? :cat:
I think we can all agree that the effects are unequivocally bad. Restoring natural habitats is one of the IPCC and UN recommendations, although whether national leaders have the foresight to put this into action remains to be seen. Personally, I'd love to see a big drive towards MAGA (Making America/Australia Green Again!) ;)
And on topic, you're probably interested in this as a starting point: https://www.skepticalscience.com/urban-heat-island-effect.htm

This phenomenon is studied and understood in urban /suburban environments (Urban Heat Islands become Urban Heat Continents: https://www.news.com.au/technology/...t/news-story/0df25ff17daedbb5793b20da70968671 ), but if the broader landscape effect is studied in the scientific realms it is certainly not making it onto the mainstream media radar.

Nor is the contribution to the Great Barrier Reef die back events caused by excess fertilizer /nutrients, and sediment run off from cleared agricultural lands.

Seems like these are all "fertile" areas for scientific enquiry ......
Indeed they are and I can send you some papers to start you off if you like? The fact that it doesn't make it into the mainstream media doesn't mean much, and is understandable given that the research is often very technical & detailed - and highlights plenty of inconvenient truths...

Cheers,
Joost

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back