Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikkor 500mm f5.46pf lens - any users yet ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 6th February 2019, 20:02   #26
Hermann
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticoholic View Post
I need a better translation, but it seems the main excuse they want us to believe is that they were simply surprised by the high demand. Could they really be that out of touch with their customers? Don't they realize most of us will not buy existing lenses that cost $10K+ ? Didn't they notice the successful recent affordable 300mm PF lens, or the 200-500mm f/5.6E?
Actually, I do believe they were surprised by the demand for this lens. After all, long lenses (especially with >300mm focal length) usually don't sell by the dozen, especially not expensive primes. And the 500mm *is* an expensive lens, at least for most people.

Also making the PF lenses seems to take some time due to their optical construction.

Hermann
Hermann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 6th February 2019, 22:29   #27
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 368
Well Hermann I hope you are right and I'm wrong! :-)

I'd like to see more results from people who are shooting with the lens.

I've been checking the Flickr group from time to time. Some nice shots there. I liked these:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lez5/[email protected]/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Dave
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 02:40   #28
stoop
Registered User
 
stoop's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,568
I'm pretty happy. Well worth the wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	egret_RJE4061 copy.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	687013  Click image for larger version

Name:	Teal_RJE3981 copy.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	687014  
__________________
stoop

http://russelljenkinsstoop.blogspot.com/
stoop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 03:11   #29
fugl
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 14,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoop View Post
I'm pretty happy. Well worth the wait.
Impressive. Are the photos full-frame or have they been cropped? Any other post-processing? I bought the 300 pf shortly after it hit the market and am very happy with it even with the more or less permanently attached TC1.4eIII.
__________________
Bird photos (Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/
". . .Let them be left, O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Tuesday 12th February 2019 at 03:37.
fugl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 03:31   #30
stoop
Registered User
 
stoop's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,568
They have been slightly cropped. D500 DX sensor. Lightroom adjustments for contrast although no sharpening. I'm pretty happy though. Nice bokeh for 5.6. I like the 300 PF too. This is just like it except 500mm.
__________________
stoop

http://russelljenkinsstoop.blogspot.com/
stoop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 20:49   #31
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 368
Very nice stoop! Thanks for sharing.

Dave
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 23:36   #32
fugl
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 14,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoop View Post
They have been slightly cropped. D500 DX sensor. Lightroom adjustments for contrast although no sharpening. I'm pretty happy though. Nice bokeh for 5.6. I like the 300 PF too. This is just like it except 500mm.
Many thanks, your response pushes me that much closer to buying the lens. I too have a D500 and that’s the camera I would hook it up to.

Here’s a photo (shot in raw and heavily cropped and otherwise post-processed) taken with my D500/300pf/TC14EIII combo. I’m happy with the results but judging from your photos I suspect I would be happier yet had the photo been taken with the naked 500pf.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/3...4709/lightbox/
__________________
Bird photos (Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/
". . .Let them be left, O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Wednesday 13th February 2019 at 03:20. Reason: Typos
fugl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 10:55   #33
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,106
Here is a brief lens review and some RAW files as well.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/len...nikkor/review/

I suspect that 500/4 still has it's place due to the faster aperture (1 stop less noise) and creamier bokeh.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Wednesday 13th February 2019 at 11:19.
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 21:57   #34
JPAC
Just need one good photo
 
JPAC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lincs
Posts: 470
At a Nikon roadshow today I had a play with one, plus most of the current Nikon lenses. Compared to the 500/4, much lighter in weight and a lot more compact. Excellent VR, fast AF, smooth manual focusing. Still very difficult to justify the price but if you have the money - recommended.
JPAC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 15:38   #35
capdegat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland
Posts: 699
hsd mine a week now but weather and other things have stopped me getting out .
A couple of shots with 1.4x on . very happy so far .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018_1388.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	687185  Click image for larger version

Name:	018_1376.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	687186  
capdegat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 20:03   #36
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 368
Nice shots, Les.

I hope someday I travel over to Europe and get a chance to see the Blue Tit and Great Tit. Are they curious, “pishable” and common birds like our Chickadees and Titmouse species in North America? They sure are more colorful and impressive.

Dave
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th February 2019, 20:23   #37
fugl
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 14,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticoholic View Post
I hope someday I travel over to Europe and get a chance to see the Blue Tit and Great Tit. Are they curious, “pishable” and common birds like our Chickadees and Titmouse species in North America? They sure are more colorful and impressive.
Yes, they are the counterparts of our parids and very like them in all respects except plumage.
__________________
Bird photos (Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/
". . .Let them be left, O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Friday 15th February 2019 at 21:01.
fugl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th February 2019, 22:26   #38
capdegat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland
Posts: 699
this is our willow tit - near enough your chickadee.
This lens is getting better ! ( or is it me )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018_1470.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	687312  
capdegat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 23:05   #39
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019
 
Kevin Conville's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: State of Chaos
Posts: 2,004
I am so jonesing for a D500 with the PF500.

There's just no path forward for me with Canon.
I have a 7D that I've struggled with for years for it's terrible high ISO performance and mediocre focus tracking. The 7DII wasn't enough of an advance to warrant buying, IMO, and I'm done waiting for the 7DIII for whatever minor improvements it may offer.

The Canon 400 f5.6 has been a good lens but to get any more reach the cost goes up about a factor of 8!

I can see myself buying the PF500 f5.6 and a D500 to go with it and, though I wouldn't have thought I'd be writing this, jumping ship to Nikon.
__________________
my bird pics

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Saturday 16th February 2019 at 01:58.
Kevin Conville is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 02:31   #40
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post

I can see myself buying the PF500 f5.6 and a D500 to go with it and, though I wouldn't have thought I'd be writing this, jumping ship to Nikon.
I think now is a good time to be shopping for used Nikon DSLR's. Used full frame DSLR's mostly as people switch to the new mirrorless Z6/Z7. But if you watch you will find used D500's, too. Refurbished with 90 day warranty the price is down to $1400. People selling privately will let them go for less.

Dave
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 4th March 2019, 11:04   #41
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,380
Exclamation Amazon Cancels Nikkor 500mm F5.6E PF ED VR Pre-Orders, Removes Lens Listing From Site

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/03/03/a...-website.aspx/






Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 18:30   #42
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
I am so jonesing for a D500 with the PF500.

There's just no path forward for me with Canon.
I have a 7D that I've struggled with for years for it's terrible high ISO performance and mediocre focus tracking. The 7DII wasn't enough of an advance to warrant buying, IMO, and I'm done waiting for the 7DIII for whatever minor improvements it may offer.

The Canon 400 f5.6 has been a good lens but to get any more reach the cost goes up about a factor of 8!

I can see myself buying the PF500 f5.6 and a D500 to go with it and, though I wouldn't have thought I'd be writing this, jumping ship to Nikon.
Depends on what you shoot, in what light and your quality demands. Shooting action with APS-C and f5.6 + 1/1000+ s will often drive the ISO in the upper limits for the D500. I suspect that the D760 might be released later this year and could be good match. But it all depends on your shooting style etc. of course.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Tuesday 12th March 2019 at 19:11.
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 18:38   #43
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Yes, it seems to be real bad news.
The dealers I talked to, including Nikon themselves just shake their heads.
Maybe Nikon is moving the manufacturing of the 500 PF to Japan?
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 23:04   #44
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Yes, it seems to be real bad news.
The dealers I talked to, including Nikon themselves just shake their heads.
Maybe Nikon is moving the manufacturing of the 500 PF to Japan?
IMHO, there is no good reason not to simply explain to dealers and customers what specifically is causing the delay.

It is just another example of what has always frustrated me about Nikon's relationship to customers: Secrecy. Silence. Distance. I try to remain objective and give them the benefit of the doubt, but the void created by the absence of information ultimately leads to negative thoughts: They are "aloof" and they don't care, or they are afraid to tell us the truth for some reason.

Dave

Last edited by opticoholic : Wednesday 13th March 2019 at 11:41.
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 23:36   #45
marcsantacurz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Depends on what you shoot, in what light and your quality demands. Shooting action with APS-C and f5.6 + 1/1000+ s will often drive the ISO in the upper limits for the D500. I suspect that the D760 might be released later this year and could be good match. But it all depends on your shooting style etc. of course.
f/5.6 at 1/1000 and ISO 100 requires an EV 15 subject illumination. That's basically full sun. Heavy overcast or sunset is EV 12, so need ISO 800.

You should have decent DoF at 500mm on APS-C or FF from, say, 30m out. At closer range you'd likely need to bump up the f stop which will also bump up the ISO. At 10m, you'd have about a +/- 5cm DoF, at f/11 it's +/- 90 cm. f/11 at 1/1000th would be EV 17 (4x more light needed), so you would need ISO 400 in daylight or 3200 at sunset / heavy overcast / shade.

Personally, I think f/5.6 is pretty usable if you're willing to shoot ISO 200 - 800 regularly. I make do OK with the Tamron 150-600 f/4.5 - 6.3. But if you are used to shooting 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8, you will need to adapt. 1/1000th used above is actually not that fast for birds, I sometimes want to use 1/1250 or 1/1600, which will indeed push ISO pretty hight. Fortunately, I shoot the d850 which handles it OK.

The main drawbacks will be the autofocus. f/4 is a magic number. Slower than that and you're down from 99 cross sensors to 45 cross sensors (on d850).

I do not think using the 1.4x TC will work out that great. I've seen some reviews that show it doing well, but f/8 is going to be a drag. A tc-14e on an f/5.6 lens drops the d850 to 15 focus points (9 selectable) with 5 cross sensors.
You will also lose 3d tracking when the TC/lens combo is over f/5.6.

That all said, I'd love to shoot one!

Marc
__________________
https://tear.com
marcsantacurz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 13:53   #46
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
f/5.6 at 1/1000 and ISO 100 requires an EV 15 subject illumination. That's basically full sun. Heavy overcast or sunset is EV 12, so need ISO 800.

You should have decent DoF at 500mm on APS-C or FF from, say, 30m out. At closer range you'd likely need to bump up the f stop which will also bump up the ISO. At 10m, you'd have about a +/- 5cm DoF, at f/11 it's +/- 90 cm. f/11 at 1/1000th would be EV 17 (4x more light needed), so you would need ISO 400 in daylight or 3200 at sunset / heavy overcast / shade.

Personally, I think f/5.6 is pretty usable if you're willing to shoot ISO 200 - 800 regularly. I make do OK with the Tamron 150-600 f/4.5 - 6.3. But if you are used to shooting 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8, you will need to adapt. 1/1000th used above is actually not that fast for birds, I sometimes want to use 1/1250 or 1/1600, which will indeed push ISO pretty hight. Fortunately, I shoot the d850 which handles it OK.

The main drawbacks will be the autofocus. f/4 is a magic number. Slower than that and you're down from 99 cross sensors to 45 cross sensors (on d850).

I do not think using the 1.4x TC will work out that great. I've seen some reviews that show it doing well, but f/8 is going to be a drag. A tc-14e on an f/5.6 lens drops the d850 to 15 focus points (9 selectable) with 5 cross sensors.
You will also lose 3d tracking when the TC/lens combo is over f/5.6.

That all said, I'd love to shoot one!

Marc
I agree that you will at least loose some AF performance with a f5.6 lens compared to a f4 or f2.8.
And it will be a bit more significant in low light I guess. The focus motors in the 500 PF seem pretty snappy though.

When it comes to shooting action, a larger f-stop is never a bad thing. As an example I was shooting with the D500 + 300/4 PF the other day.

It was 2 hours before sunset, sunny with no clouds. The light was strong with distinct shadows but not too harsh like in the middle of the day at EV15.

The exposure settings I got were 1/1000s, f4 at ISO800 ([email protected]). Even though the subject was not the fastest (a big owl) the 1/1000s was on the long side for freezing all action of the hunting owl.

One hour before sunset, with the sun behind some thin clouds, settings were 1/800s, f4 at ISO3200.

The last 30 to 15 minutes before sunset, with a bit less clouds again, settings were 1/500-1/800s, f4 at ISO3600-5000.

For the "sitting bird" shots I could use a slower shutter speed and lower ISO of course.

But the bottom line is that with an f5.6 lens on the D500 I would have been struggling even more with the short shutter speeds and ISO.
So for my needs, the 500mm/5.6 PF would be a better fit on a FF camera. Your milage might vary of course.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Wednesday 13th March 2019 at 15:46.
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 17:37   #47
marcsantacurz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
I agree that you will at least loose some AF performance with a f5.6 lens compared to a f4 or f2.8.
And it will be a bit more significant in low light I guess. The focus motors in the 500 PF seem pretty snappy though.

When it comes to shooting action, a larger f-stop is never a bad thing. As an example I was shooting with the D500 + 300/4 PF the other day.

It was 2 hours before sunset, sunny with no clouds. The light was strong with distinct shadows but not too harsh like in the middle of the day at EV15.

The exposure settings I got were 1/1000s, f4 at ISO800 ([email protected]). Even though the subject was not the fastest (a big owl) the 1/1000s was on the long side for freezing all action of the hunting owl.

One hour before sunset, with the sun behind some thin clouds, settings were 1/800s, f4 at ISO3200.

The last 30 to 15 minutes before sunset, with a bit less clouds again, settings were 1/500-1/800s, f4 at ISO3600-5000.

For the "sitting bird" shots I could use a slower shutter speed and lower ISO of course.

But the bottom line is that with an f5.6 lens on the D500 I would have been struggling even more with the short shutter speeds and ISO.
So for my needs, the 500mm/5.6 PF would be a better fit on a FF camera. Your milage might vary of course.
I failed to point out that those EV readings (from tables) are for a neutral gray target. If you're shooting something dark, you need more EV. If the light is not directly on it (like off to the side), you'll need more. Or a BIF is often in shadow under the wings, so you'll need more. Or if you have a protective filter, you'll need more. f/4 vs f/5.6 is 2x the light -- you could shoot twice as fast or half the ISO.

From experience with my Tamron 150-600 (@ f/6.3), which I love the weight on compared to 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8, I have to live with mid- to high- ISO. And around sunset, it can have noticeably slower focusing or more hunting on the d850. So, I shoot raw and have to put in more work in post. It also limits the amount of crop you can do given the ISO noise.

Marc
__________________
https://tear.com
marcsantacurz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 20:37   #48
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
I failed to point out that those EV readings (from tables) are for a neutral gray target. If you're shooting something dark, you need more EV. If the light is not directly on it (like off to the side), you'll need more. Or a BIF is often in shadow under the wings, so you'll need more. Or if you have a protective filter, you'll need more. f/4 vs f/5.6 is 2x the light -- you could shoot twice as fast or half the ISO.

From experience with my Tamron 150-600 (@ f/6.3), which I love the weight on compared to 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8, I have to live with mid- to high- ISO. And around sunset, it can have noticeably slower focusing or more hunting on the d850. So, I shoot raw and have to put in more work in post. It also limits the amount of crop you can do given the ISO noise.

Marc
Yes, EV might vary a bit, as well as how the camera measures the scene. But the exposure figures in my example are in the ballpark of what was needed +-1 EV perhaps. The D500 RAW-files are pretty workable up to ISO 4000 but like most people I usually prefer to shoot at lower ISO for optimal quality.

I will have to think a bit more on the 500 PF. I can understand that some love it but I think I'm probably more of a f4 shooter. I often tend to prefer shooting in the last and first light of the day if possible.
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 01:02   #49
john118
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stoke
Posts: 14
I ordered one a few weeks ago, was told it could take up to 4 months. Its annoying but I suppose I could just use my 200-500mm until one comes available.
john118 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 09:43   #50
capdegat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland
Posts: 699
John,
If you're brave you can do like I did and get one from germany . I bought mine from big nikon agent and it comes with 5 year guarantee and was cheaper !
Mine was from here - Dostal & Rudolf GmbH
capdegat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.28265595 seconds with 40 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46.