Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

10x42 Bino, a good compromise?

Old Thursday 21st March 2019, 07:47   #1
wachipilotes

10x42 Bino, a good compromise?

Hello,
Lately I have become quite fond of bird watching, long walks, nature in general but when the night comes I also continue with my other passion, observational and casual astronomy, I have several binoculars but sometimes they weigh me a lot, 10x50 for example, or have a little diameter ..I'm looking for some model that I think can be good for both hobbies, a 10x42.With enough lens and magnification, not to weigh too much, comfortable for walks.and good for casual astronomy ...
I would be happy to recommend some, I do not know if roof or Porro.
Thank you
Paul
Old Thursday 21st March 2019, 09:24   #2
Vespobuteo

Perhaps a 7x42:

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Zeiss7x42FL.htm

Or you can find other candidates here:

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm
Old Thursday 21st March 2019, 10:08   #3
yarrellii

While I'm sure many forum members are also into casual astronomy (as yourself... or me :) ) probably you could also do a search in Cloudy Nights (in case you haven't already done so), since there should be many people in the same position over there.
I have the Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL, but I think I agree with the review in Scopeviews, it is so bright that you get the best out of it with very dark skies. Anyway, I was really surprised by the 7x42 FL, it was as bright as a medium-range 8x56 I used, and way lighter, so for me it is indeed a great compromise for daylight birdwatching, dusk birdwatching or nightwalks by the moonlight... but probably not ideal for astronomy as such. Well, that's my experience, I hope it helps :)
There are a number of light 10x42 at the moment, for example I can think of the Nikon Monarch HG which at 680 g are so light and small offering stunning performance.

Last edited by yarrellii : Thursday 21st March 2019 at 10:12.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: