Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Wednesday 21st October 2015, 23:12   #2476
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Exclamation Great little value!

If you like excellent sharp focus, very natural colors, wonderful resolution, great low light capability, ergonomic eye cups that are easy to obtain a quick FOV, 50 to 70mm IPD (great for kids usage), fully multi-coated lenses that are crystal clear, Nitrogen filled water and fog proof assembly that is very light and easy to hold, well-built, solid body and a 3D DOF effect that to me, is Equal to the Swaro Habichts (at 1\6 the cost), take a look HERE under sportsmanssupply2 seller listings!

These Leupold BX-1 Yosemite 8x30 #67725’s are simply a "Steal of a Deal"! Wholesaler bid listings have been going a week per unit (new BX-1 listing added every day) and winning bids have been averaging $65-$75 for these $150 MSRP BX-1’s. Shipping is very quick and include original, unopened NIB OEM BX-1’s with full papers, accessories and Lifetime Warrant. At this price, truly a Great Deal for a really great little porro!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98 : Wednesday 21st October 2015 at 23:17.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 19:34   #2477
SuperDuty

You might want to check with Swarovski about warranty on these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171985733101...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 17:30   #2478
leicafan

Is this a good price for a Mint Conditioned German Made (not Japanese Made) Minox HG MIG 10x43? For the experts that are having Minox HG MIG 10x43, how does it compare with other alpha binos (Leica Ultravid HD, Nikon EDG, Zeiss FL, etc)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-MINOX-G...4AAOSwhcJWNRuL

Thanks in advance!
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 18:35   #2479
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicafan View Post
Is this a good price for a Mint Conditioned German Made (not Japanese Made) Minox HG MIG 10x43? For the experts that are having Minox HG MIG 10x43, how does it compare with other alpha binos (Leica Ultravid HD, Nikon EDG, Zeiss FL, etc)

Thanks in advance!
Please understand, there are no German made Minox binoculars but only Japanese made HG BR MIG Minox binoculars, "Made in Germany" does not mean Made in Germany. It only means Made worked in Germany.

Down here they cost round 1.600,00 euro's so this price is more than reasonable.

You can compare it with the Nikon EDG.
Superb!!

Jan
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 19:14   #2480
Samandag
Scan right to left, it's slower than scanning left to right and your brain takes in more detail

Minox offer an HG 10x43 BR and an APO HG 10x43 BR, they have slightly different specs and radically different prices.

Look here and scroll down : https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Min...FWsTwwodD9EJaA

Best wishes,
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 19:28   #2481
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicafan View Post

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

please note that this is not the top of the line APO-HG (as the seller is likely trying to imply by giving an MSRP of $1900) but the normal HG which is Minox' second best and goes for around 700-800 new on german ebay.

The APO HG says so below the left eyecup whereas the HG has no marking there.

Allbinos has a review for the 10x43 HG and it's not bad with a top of the line FoV and very light for a 10x43. Not sure if it's in a league with the alphas otherwise but certainly a worthy contender in the upper middle class around $1000.

Joachim
Old Monday 16th November 2015, 03:22   #2482
JasIA

Leupold Mojave Pro Guide HD 10x42 $499.99 and 8x42 is $460 at jet.com. That's the cheapest I've seen them.
Old Tuesday 17th November 2015, 05:06   #2483
Josh Exmoor

Optics Planet has a $25 rebate on the Leupold Yosemite 8x30 and 6x30 binoculars. With an extra 10% off coupon you can get them for about $65 and $55 respectively. Great backup bins or gift.

Details here:
http://slickdeals.net/f/8260825-leup...t-after-rebate
Old Wednesday 18th November 2015, 01:19   #2484
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Exmoor View Post
Optics Planet has a $25 rebate on the Leupold Yosemite 8x30 and 6x30 binoculars. With an extra 10% off coupon you can get them for about $65 and $55 respectively. Great backup bins or gift.

Details here:
http://slickdeals.net/f/8260825-leup...t-after-rebate
Josh:

Great catch, these are a well respected binocular, as many know on here.
This would make an excellent Christmas gift for you or others.
I prefer the 6x30 myself.
I have several reserved for my Grandkids when they reach age 5 or so.

That code for Optics Planet works, I just tried it. 10% ends today.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 18th November 2015, 22:39   #2485
SuperDuty

Are these Swarovski prices legitimate, the locater on the Swarovski web page shows them as a dealer. Looks like a bunch of people, including myself just got f--ked out of several hundred dollars. The claim of no warranty if you buy them too cheap is obviously BS.

http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-e...ars-35010.aspx

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/swarovsk...FZKIaQodrlUAiQ

Last edited by SuperDuty : Wednesday 18th November 2015 at 22:50.
Old Wednesday 18th November 2015, 22:52   #2486
NDhunter

Yes, those are very good clearance prices on the old models.

I have dealt with Europtic, they are good to deal with, large internet seller.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 18th November 2015, 23:12   #2487
SuperDuty

Everyone had the old model on a (special Swarovski authorized sale) of $2499 until Nov 15th leading you to believe the price will go back to normal retail on the 16th, then an authorized dealer dumps their remaining stock at these prices? They shouldn't remain a dealer any longer, Swarovski needs to enforce their minimum price pollicy, assuming they actually have one. Remaining stock should stay at the $2499 until it's gone. As someone who played buy the rules because a rep told me my warranty would be in jeopardy by buying a Swarovski product too cheap, I feel really pissed, we're talking $600 difference here. It's simple, if you have a minimum price policy and someone buys it too cheap, NO WARRANTY ! That should include all unsold stock IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Yes, those are very good clearance prices on the old models.

I have dealt with Europtic, they are good to deal with, large internet seller.

Jerry

Last edited by SuperDuty : Wednesday 18th November 2015 at 23:36.
Old Wednesday 18th November 2015, 23:31   #2488
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Everyone had the old model on a (special sale) of $2499 until Nov 15th leading you to believe the price will go back to normal retail on the 16th, then an authorized dealer dumps their remaining stock at these prices. They shouldn't remain a dealer any longer, Swarovski needs to enforce their minimum price pollicy, assuming they actually have one. Remaining stock should remain at the $2499 in till it's gone.
Robert:

I think that when a model has been discontinued, then the seller
has the freedom to price them without the typical restrictions of set
pricing.

If you do a net search, many of the usual sellers are discounting these, some more than others.

Jerry
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 01:04   #2489
SuperDuty

Jerry

Swarovski just had a (sale) on the old model for $2499, they shouldn't allow an authorized dealer to (dump) them at probably cost, or near cost immediately after their phony sale. I knew the old model was discontinued when I bought mine but I deliberately didn't wait for deeper discounts than the sale price because I thought that was the low price based on what a Swarovski rep told me in person. The people that went for the fake sale got f---ed. An elite company like Swarovski shouldn't allow their product to be dumped by a dealer like some chicom POS. The three month long sale price should have been extended and adhered to until existing stock was gone, $600 is too damn much to loose. No more Swarovski for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Robert:

I think that when a model has been discontinued, then the seller
has the freedom to price them without the typical restrictions of set
pricing.

If you do a net search, many of the usual sellers are discounting these, some more than others.

Jerry
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 03:32   #2490
ceasar

$1899.00 is a really good price! Maybe they are Gray Market?

Eagle Optics has them on sale for $2299.99. Would SONA allow Europtic to sell binoculars for $400.00 less than Eagle Optics does during an authorized sale?

Camera Land does not have them on sale and is still charging full price of $2499.00.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 05:38   #2491
SuperDuty

Hi Bob

$2499 was the Swarovski official sale price up until 11/15/2015, the model was already discontinued while the sale was going on. This (Super Closeout) pricing the day after the sale is a slap in the face to customers and dealers who were conscientious about the minimum price-warranty spiel we were made believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
$1899.00 is a really good price! Maybe they are Gray Market?

Eagle Optics has them on sale for $2299.99. Would SONA allow Europtic to sell binoculars for $400.00 less than Eagle Optics does during an authorized sale?

Camera Land does not have them on sale and is still charging full price of $2499.00.

Bob
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 06:12   #2492
SuperDuty

Check out the info at the bottom of proudpapas ad, this is the way it should be done. Somebody from Swarovski needs to come on here and explain this EuroOptic tomfoolery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201404898564...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 07:33   #2493
stephen b

I understand you are upset- but this can happen when product is fully discontinued. And as far as warranty goes Swarovski honors warranty on used binoculars from private person sale- so why would they not warranty sales from a dealer on newly discontinued product. Some used binoculars that Swarovski warranties are 15-20+ years old. Same with Leupold.

Reason why I believe dealers can do what they want when product is a fully discontinued model is because SONA is not taking (buying) that product back from the dealer. So dealer can have both new models and discontinued product in their inventory at same time. And at some point ( and it can happen pretty soon after new models are out) dealers can move the old product at steep discounts.

Here is an example of how this has happened specifically with Swarovski- I know this to be exactly how it happened. A while back when they came out with their newer STS and ATS spotting scopes and they discontinued their STM/ATM spotting scopes ( which were actually more expensive than the new models); a lot of places were steeply discounting the older models. And this was with some big retailers. Cabelas slashed the prices on the old models and were selling some at really low prices. They were selling I believe for around $1199; maybe even less. And Swarovski sells a lot of product through Cabelas.

Same thing happened when SONA released the 8x30 and 10x30 CL's. The old model 8x30 SLC ( which BTW was also a model that was originally more money than the new CL) was I believe actually supposed to be off the shelves when the new CL's came out. I know it was not in the display case at Cabelas when the new CL was launched. And just prior to the CL's arrival there was a sale on the 8x30 SLC NEU from reg price of $1149 down to $999. Well very shortly before the CL's were officially out the local Cabelas ( and other ones around the country) were moving them out the door for $749-$799.

So, this has happened before. If it is "old model" stock- even if has just been sold as a new item, when the new one is out I believe the dealers can do what they want. I am not sure that all slash like that because they want to sell the new ones.

Just my personal observation.
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 13:19   #2494
SuperDuty

Hi Stephen

When you talk to two different Swarovski representatives, you will get two different answers. If you read the info at the bottom of proudpapas ad within the green border, I believe that's the correct information. Someone like EuroOptic makes it hard for people like him to sell their old stock at the correct price. That's enough from me on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen b View Post
I understand you are upset- but this can happen when product is fully discontinued. And as far as warranty goes Swarovski honors warranty on used binoculars from private person sale- so why would they not warranty sales from a dealer on newly discontinued product. Some used binoculars that Swarovski warranties are 15-20+ years old. Same with Leupold.

Reason why I believe dealers can do what they want when product is a fully discontinued model is because SONA is not taking (buying) that product back from the dealer. So dealer can have both new models and discontinued product in their inventory at same time. And at some point ( and it can happen pretty soon after new models are out) dealers can move the old product at steep discounts.

Here is an example of how this has happened specifically with Swarovski- I know this to be exactly how it happened. A while back when they came out with their newer STS and ATS spotting scopes and they discontinued their STM/ATM spotting scopes ( which were actually more expensive than the new models); a lot of places were steeply discounting the older models. And this was with some big retailers. Cabelas slashed the prices on the old models and were selling some at really low prices. They were selling I believe for around $1199; maybe even less. And Swarovski sells a lot of product through Cabelas.

Same thing happened when SONA released the 8x30 and 10x30 CL's. The old model 8x30 SLC ( which BTW was also a model that was originally more money than the new CL) was I believe actually supposed to be off the shelves when the new CL's came out. I know it was not in the display case at Cabelas when the new CL was launched. And just prior to the CL's arrival there was a sale on the 8x30 SLC NEU from reg price of $1149 down to $999. Well very shortly before the CL's were officially out the local Cabelas ( and other ones around the country) were moving them out the door for $749-$799.

So, this has happened before. If it is "old model" stock- even if has just been sold as a new item, when the new one is out I believe the dealers can do what they want. I am not sure that all slash like that because they want to sell the new ones.

Just my personal observation.
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 14:14   #2495
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Hi Robert,

Find myself in the same boat (up the creek w\o a paddle)...Feel your disappointment (got mine before Any sales)! But afraid Jerry and Stephen are correct. According to SONA this AM, the old EL lineup is officially discontinued, thus authorized dealers can now set their own sale prices with no reprisals (has been done several times in the past) and of course, with full unconditional warranties. According to their old stock, sure we'll see more dealers jump in the deep discounts to make room for their new EL line up.

As Bob said, some good deals to be had by those who might have been on the purchase fence before! Maybe, I'll get one-of-each now!

Ted

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 14:24   #2496
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Hi Stephen

When you talk to two different Swarovski representatives, you will get two different answers. If you read the info at the bottom of proudpapas ad within the green border, I believe that's the correct information. Someone like EuroOptic makes it hard for people like him to sell their old stock at the correct price. That's enough from me on the subject.

Europtic seems to have all of their Swarovision binoculars on sale. See their prices below:

http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-el-binocular.aspx

Eagle Optics also has all of their Swarovisions on sale. Compare their prices here:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/hot-deals

That is quite a difference.

I wonder what the new versions will cost and whether there will be much difference in them from an optical standpoint?

There was a recent thread about the old 10x50 Swarovision extolling its virtues when compared with the 10x42 Swarovision. It had over 400 posts.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=306443

Live and learn!

Bob

Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 14:48   #2497
SuperDuty

Hi Ted

The view through my 10X50 looks a little dull to me now, the CA somehow worse. My advice to a potential Swarovski buyer, get them of off whatever swingin d--k has the lowest price, you'll be treated the same as someone who seeks out a dealer and pays the proper price. If you find the new model on the internet for a cheap (too low) price, buy it, you'll get the same service as Johnny do good. Alright, that's it, everyone enjoy your binoculars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Hi Robert,

Find myself in the same boat (up the creek w\o a paddle)...Feel your disappointment (got mine before Any sales)! But afraid Jerry and Stephen are correct. According to SONA this AM, the old EL lineup is officially discontinued, thus authorized dealers can now set their own sale prices with no reprisals (has been done several times in the past) and of course, with full unconditional warranties. According to their old stock, sure we'll see more dealers jump in the deep discounts to make room for their new EL line up.

As Bob said, some good deals to be had by those who might have been on the purchase fence before! Maybe, I'll get one-of-each now!

Ted
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 14:51   #2498
SuperDuty

Hi Bob

I seem to always be learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Europtic seems to have all of their Swarovision binoculars on sale. See their prices below:

http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-el-binocular.aspx

Eagle Optics also has all of their Swarovisions on sale. Compare their prices here:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/hot-deals

That is quite a difference.

I wonder what the new versions will cost and whether there will be much difference in them from an optical standpoint?

There was a recent thread about the old 10x50 Swarovision extolling its virtues when compared with the 10x42 Swarovision. It had over 400 posts.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=306443

Live and learn!

Bob
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 15:13   #2499
Kammerdiner

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Some lucky buyers will get great deals! I see the 8x32 SV is $1500. I say grab 'em while you can! I paid $600 more than that.

The new Field Pros are probably already here (weren't they due Nov. 15??) and dealers would like to start selling them. That's hard to do with the old ones lying around and, in the case of the 8.5, only $270 less. If I were in the market I'd just wait for the Field Pro. It's got better caps, better rainguard, maybe a better focus, and a case you might actually want to use.

So if Swaro wants to clear out the old ones before introducing the new ones, they should be willing to deal.

My two cents,
Mark

Last edited by Kammerdiner : Thursday 19th November 2015 at 15:38.
Old Thursday 19th November 2015, 15:43   #2500
ceasar

There are still questions for the curious minded.

Does the big seller get a better deal from Swarovski on these sales than the little seller does?

It doesn't seem so when you look at the number of reviews Eagle Optics has received on the ones they have sold. Does Europtic sell more than Eagle Optics does?

Is Proud Papa treated differently than Europtic and Eagle Optics?

Why hasn't Camera Land been selling them at a discount?

And, of course there is B&H and Adorama.

Bob

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: