Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bluethroat (again;)

Old Sunday 16th October 2016, 19:15   #1
kuzeycem
Turkish Birder

Bluethroat (again;)

So due to the negative feedback I got on my last post, I decided to go today to my local patch to find some migrating Bluethroats. Quickly found this what seems to be a first-winter male. It was confiding so I had a good time with it.
The photo was taken while sitting on the ground, about 5 meters away from the bird.
EXIF:
Body: Canon EOS 7D
Lens: Canon EF 400mm f5,6
ISO: 500
Shutter Speed: 1/1600
F-number: 7,1
EV: -1

The image is HD, which means Birdforum automatically compresses it. So the image may seem more sharp than it actually is.

To be honest the only two things bothering me about this image is the background and that reed that comes from above the frame.

Thank you for your honest and constructive critiques.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	svecica.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	602071  
Old Monday 17th October 2016, 08:20   #2
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Good pose, breast colours, detail, and composition. I think the image would be worth spending some time on, although there's only so much you can do with those bright reed stems. I'd probably try and darken them a bit And the grass stem is easy enough to remove:

Here's a quick two minute edit with CS2 (old version of Photoshop) to remove the stem and reduce the brightness of the reed stems a bit. The stem tight to the bird and the one bottom left will need more work. I'm sure you'll do much better with the original higher resolution image.

If it was my image, I'd probably just clone out the grass stem and darken the reed stems a bit. One day a Bluethroat will pose in the perfect setting and against a perfect background... trying to capture that image is what makes Photography interesting and addictive (and frustrating)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	svecicaCL2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	602179  
Old Monday 17th October 2016, 17:26   #3
kitefarrago

I agree with ChrisKten's comments; The read that's just behind the bird, and the piece of grass that's in focus distract from the bird.

But with nature photography those are sometimes the cards one is dealt - it isn't always possible to move to change the background, and personally I'm very bad about noticing bits of distracting background when I'm taking photos. I wonder whether a good strategy to try is the following: when there's a subject that stays for a while, try to just slightly change your angle to it in case of distracting background stuff.

The bird is very sharp (but looks oversharpened in the compressed version), It nicely catches the sun and I think the colours are lovely.

Andrea
Old Friday 21st October 2016, 19:17   #4
kuzeycem
Turkish Birder

Thank you both. I refrained from removing the stem because I don't think that would reflect the true nature of the shot. But I do agree with the reed part.
Hope to be back with the perfect shot
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: