Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Names lacking in the Key

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 11:55   #51
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Thanks Laurent, for the great deal of effort, putting this complex matter in writing ... now, hopefully, everyone can see/read exactly why I had, and still have, such a hard time getting "my head around those Hummingbirds". It´s a tricky case, a delicate operation ...

However I still cannot understand why James consider Gould's name the only one "validly created" and (if so) why Bonaparte's "linnaei" (syn. Polytmus guainumbi thaumantias) is included in today's Key contra/versus Gould's "species", which isn´t.

Nor do I feel all safe (beyond any doubt) claiming that "Linnæi" BONAPARTE, 1854 sensu GOULD, 1861 is a synonym of today's (Polyerata) Amazilia fimbriata GMELIN 1788 (and of nothing else, not even in parts).

But I do think so (judging from the Plate) ... !?

Looking forward to a reply from James, but I assume he´s celebrating Easter.

We´ll see ... when the Easter eggs are all empty.

Björn
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 21:08   #52
mb1848

Quote:
Thanks Laurent, for the great deal of effort,
I concur. I cannot add anything for or against this argument. Here are two early images of these birds.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...e/178/mode/1up .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...e/341/mode/1up .
Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 19:36   #53
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

No wonder I couldn´t find the second linnaei Hummingbird, the synonym for Glittering-throated Emerald (Polyerata) Amazilia fimbriata (Gmelin, JF, 1788), in the HBW Alive Key ...

For some reason (unknown, to me) James have put it in the Key entry for:
Quote:
linnei
Carl von Linné or Carolus Linnaeus (1707-1778) Swedish botanist, naturalist, physician, father of binomial nomenclature (Species Plantarum 1753; Systema Naturae 1758) (syn. Amazilia fimbriata) ...
Where this spelling originates from (ending in -ei, not -aei nor -æi) is unknown to me.

Anyone who does know?
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2018, 11:41   #54
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Thaumatias Linnei vs Linnaei

The only version of "Thaumatias Linnei" (that I have found) was used by Eudes-Deslongchamps, here (in 1880) where we find it (and Le Thaumatias de Linné), in a list of synonyms for "THAUMATIAS TOBACI (Gmelin) Sp. 1788" [today's Copper-rumped Hummingbird (Saucerottia) Amazilia tobaci (Gmelin, JF, 1788)!], which I assume is a typo (alt. simply an incorrect subsequent spelling) and an erroneous identification (!), as it (as I understand it) refers back to Mulsant's (and Édouard Verreaux's) "THAUMATIAS LINNAEI, GOULD ", of 1774, here (a k a Le Thaumatias de Linné).

Again mentioned, but only with yet another added synonym, in vol 4 (1877); there only adding "Thaumatias Linnaei, PELZELN" (1869), to the list of synonyms (for Thaumantias Linnaei, Gould), here.

This said (as usual) without understand just about nothing of the French texts.

Björn
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2018, 18:11   #55
mb1848

The Pelzeln here:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...ge/66/mode/1up .
Old Wednesday 4th April 2018, 10:12   #56
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Thanks Mark, note that von Pelzeln's question mark wasn´t cited by Eudes-Deslongchamps.

To this we might add (for the sake of completeness); "Thaumantias linnei", cited by Boucard in his Genera of humming birds [: being also a complete monograph of these birds*] (here), from 1894-1895, listed as a synonym for "Polytmus thaumantias" [today's Polytmus guainumbi thaumantias], but note that Boucard there refer this spelling to "Bon. Rev. and Mag. Zool., 1854, p. 255" (here)... where this name (as we´ve already, repeatedly, have verified) was written "linnæi" (ending in ligature + i = -æi).

That´s all the "linnei" Hummingbirds I can find. Two incorrect subsequent spellings, that´s all. For two different taxa (today). Both originally coined as Linnæi/linnæi ...

Thereby the question still stands (regardless of either one "validly created", or not): Why did Gould's "Linnæi", of 1861 [a synonym of (P.) A. fimbriata], end up in today's HBW Alive Key entry for linnei ...?

Quote:
Quote:
linnaei / linnaeii
Carl von Linné or Carolus Linnaeus (1707-1778) Swedish botanist, naturalist, physician, father of binomial nomenclature (syn. Accipiter bicolor chilensis, syn. Eclectus roratus, syn. Icterus nigrogularis, syn. Phalacrocorax aristotelis, syn. Polytmus guainumbi thaumantias, subsp. Turdus grayi ...
[...]
(see linnei).
Quote:
linnei
Carl von Linné or Carolus Linnaeus (1707-1778) Swedish botanist, naturalist, physician, father of binomial nomenclature (Species Plantarum 1753; Systema Naturae 1758) (syn. Amazilia fimbriata) ...
[...]
(see linnaei).
Why?

Björn
__________________________________________________ ____________
*The whole book itself is "Dedicated to the Memory of Linné, The Father of Systematical Classification, and Binomial Nomenclature."

Last edited by Calalp : Thursday 5th April 2018 at 07:49. Reason: typo
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 14:16   #57
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Today's updated HBW Alive Key:
Quote:
linnaei / linnaeii
Carl von Linné or Carolus Linnaeus (1707-1778) Swedish botanist, naturalist, physician, father of binomial nomenclature (syn. Accipiter bicolor chilensis, syn. Amazilia fimbriata, syn. Eclectus roratus, syn. Icterus nigrogularis, syn. Phalacrocorax aristotelis, syn. Polytmus guainumbi thaumantias, subsp. Turdus grayi (“In naming this distinctive race, I am mindful of the extraordinary ignorance of some of our highest-placed biologists today of our enormous debt to the great Carl von Linné, and of how few birds commemorate this debt” (Phillips 1966))) (see linnei).
Congruence. No more hopeless searches (in vain) for any odd, possibly missed, linnei hummingbird.

Case closed. Peace and serenity rule.

Thank's James!
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 13:30   #58
Taphrospilus

Sephanoides sephaniodes mariannae

here p. 243 it looks like a new mariannae

I haven't seen OD but it must be....

Quote:
Adolf Kleinschmidt. (1970): Wesen und Bedeutung von Variations-Studien, im besonderen in den Arbeiten von Otto Kleinschmidt, für die Klärung genealogischer Zusammenhänge. - Zoologische Abhandlungen. Staatliches Museum für Tierkunde in Dresden. 31 (13): 23 1 - 262 + 1 Tf
If I see here it is written:

Quote:
Am 3. Januar 1938 wurde ich, Georg Otto Walter Kleinschmidt, als Sohn des Zoologen Dr. sc. nat. Adolf Kleinschmidt und seiner Ehefrau Dr. med. Marianne geb. Claus in Berlin geboren.

P.S.: Adolf Kleinschmidt was a son of Otto Kleinschmidt. More about his life in here. In there we can find:

Quote:
Schon 1936 hatte sich Adolf Kleinschmidt mit der Medizinerin Dr. Marianne Claus verheiratet. Drei Kinder, eine Tochter (geb. 1940) und zwei Söhne (geb. 1938 und 1948) wurden in den nun folgenden Jahren geboren.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Tuesday 10th April 2018 at 14:51.
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 15:10   #59
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

The OD of this "subspecies" is also unseen by me, however listed here as:
Quote:
Sephanoides sephanoides mariannae A. Kleinschmidt, 1970
Kleinschmidt, A. Wesen und Bedeutung von Variations-Studien, im besonderen in den Arbeiten von Otto Kleinschmidt, für die Klärung genealogischer Zusammenhänge. Zool. Abh. Staatl. Mus. Tierk. Dresden, 31: 231-262. See p. 243 and color plate
If of any help?
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 16:00   #60
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
The OD of this "subspecies" is also unseen by me, however listed here as:
If of any help?
It is the same quote as my first quote. But I forgot to mention in english what the other quotes tell us.

Marianne Kleinschmidt né Claus wife of Adolf Kleinschmidt (son of Otto Kleinschmidt).

Did not find her life dates yet apart from 1936 as year of marriage. But maybe more in Adolf Kleinschmidt biography in Jahreshefte der Gesellschaft für Naturkunde in Württemberg, vol 156, 2000, p. 309 f..

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Tuesday 10th April 2018 at 16:02.
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 17:21   #61
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
It is the same quote as my first quote. ....
Yes, I know, ... with the blue text added.

I gave it a quick try, but there's far too many Ottos and Adolfs (and their wives) involved ... far beyond my understanding.

Good luck (... finding the OD)!

Björn

PS. Nachruf Dr. s.c.nat. Adolf [Theodor Otto] Kleinschmidt (14.4.1904- 9.6.1999); here alt. here ... with condolence "zu seiner Frau Marianne".
--

Last edited by Calalp : Tuesday 10th April 2018 at 20:18. Reason: PS.
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 14:51   #62
Taphrospilus

Mellisuga Kingii

While checking things around Sephanoides sephaniodes I came accoss Mellisuga Kingii Syn: Sephanoides sephaniodes (see here) and the name seems to be missing in the Key. I assume dedicated to Philip Parker King (1791-1856). OD from Vigors here.

Seems to me a complicated case regarding authorship and year of publication as Vigors published his name in the same year as Lesson (& Garnot).
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 15:32   #63
mb1848

Two 'L's in King's first name. According to wikipedia :King was born to Philip Gidley King and Anna Josepha King née Coombe, and named after his father's mentor, Admiral Arthur Phillip (1738-1814), (first governor of New South Wales and founder of the British penal colony which later became the city of Sydney in Australia), which explains the difference in spelling of his and his father's first names
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 16:48   #64
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Australian Dictionary of Biography, says: King, Phillip Parker (1791–1856)
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 15:48   #65
l_raty
laurent raty

Hecale

Hecale Wagler 1832
(Syn. Nestor Ϯ Kaka N. meridionalis).

In the main account covering the Kaka in his Monographia Psittacorum, Wagler called that species Nestor hypopolius. However, in a note accompanying the text on the Gang-gang Cockatoo (there Corydon galeatus), [here], he referred to the species using another generic name. The note reads:
Quote:
Observatio. Praeter Hecalem hypopoliam inter psittacos hucusque notos unicus, qui remigum pogonium internum falconum ad instar maculatum habet.
This would translate as: "Observation. Besides Hecale hypopolia, among hitherto known parrots, the only one, which has the inner vane of the remiges spotted as in falcons."
Hecale is not in the Key, and not listed in the Richmond Index. It is (somewhat oddly) listed by Neave as "Hecalem" Wagler; "Hecalem hypopoliam" in the above text is in accusative case (required by the preposition praeter), and a correction to the nominative is mandatory.
The derivation is presumably < Gr. Ἑκάλη Hecale, in Gr. mythology, a poor old woman who kindly received Theseus.
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 18:43   #66
mb1848

Sherborn in his Index commented on this name: [teste Nomen anim.]
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 07:27   #67
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

"Hecale hypopolia"/"Hecalem hypopoliam"

Sharp observation, Laurent!

Also note the worn pencil notation in the right margin, beside the quoted Latin part: "n.g." (novum genus, I assume).

Makes one wonder who scribbled it down ...

Björn

PS. This name was/is also mentioned, in its original form, on p.696, by Wagler:
Quote:
Rostrum mediocre, albidum, spice flavidum, fere ut in Hecale hypopolia formatum; maxilla quam maxime ...

[here alt. here or here].
I guess Neave missed that one!

PPS. For anyone having trouble following the reasoning, and links (like I had ); Wagler's Monographia Psittacorum 1832 was published in the German journal Abhandlungen der Mathematisch-Physikalischen Klasse der Königlich Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (vol. 1, pp. 469-697).
--

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 27th April 2018 at 16:45. Reason: missed "ut"
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 12:09   #68
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
Marianne Kleinschmidt né Claus wife of Adolf Kleinschmidt (son of Otto Kleinschmidt).

Did not find her life dates yet apart from 1936 as year of marriage.[/i].
To complete her dates according to e-mail exchange with Georg Kleinschmidt her son:

b. 16. 11. 1908 in Niederschlema/Erzgebirge (today part of 08301 Bad Schlema) d. 21.12.2005 in Berlin.
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 14:00   #69
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
PS. This name was/is also mentioned, in its original form, on p.696, by Wagler:
Quote:
Rostrum mediocre, albidum, spice flavidum, fere in Hecale hypopolia formatum; maxilla quam maxime ...
I guess Neave missed that one!
I had missed it too, for sure...
Quote:
Rostrum mediocre, albidum, apice flavidum, fere ut in Hecale hypopolia formatum;
= Bill moderate, whitish, yellow at the tip, shaped almost as in Hecale hypopolia.
Wagler is writing this about his Licmetis tenuirostris, now Cacatua tenuirostris, the Long-billed Corella.
(Just to nitpick, "Hecale hypopolia" here is still not nominative, it's ablative. But the genus name is a first-declension feminine Greek noun, and the epithet a standard first-declension Latin word: in Latin, in these two categories of words (and no other ), ablative happens to be identical to nominative.)

Also on [p. 698], footnote:
Quote:
*) Characteres nonnullorum psittacorum mihi dubiorum exhibui post diagnosin Hecales hypopoliae.
= *) I have presented the characters of several parrots, to me doubtful, after the diagnosis of Hecale hypopolia.
(Genitive, this time.)

Last edited by l_raty : Friday 27th April 2018 at 14:02.
Old Thursday 10th May 2018, 18:01   #70
mb1848

In a Catalogue of Stutgart Museum is mentioned Corvus klevenhülleri by von Müller. In 1855 in the JfO von Müller mentions Corvus in North Africa without mentioning this species. Might be in part III or IV of von Müller's birds of Africa habitat is Nubia?
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...ge/43/mode/1up
Old Thursday 10th May 2018, 19:30   #71
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1848 View Post
In a Catalogue of Stutgart Museum is mentioned Corvus klevenhülleri by von Müller. In 1855 in the JfO von Müller mentions Corvus in North Africa without mentioning this species. Might be in part III or IV of von Müller's birds of Africa habitat is Nubia?
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...ge/43/mode/1up
Or a manuscript name, which here would then be a nomen nudum...
(This is a calatogue of the birds in Müller's own museum in Stuttgart. The collection was to be sold, it seems. (See Cuncta venalia. = "Everything is for sale." on the back of the title page.))
Old Thursday 10th May 2018, 20:36   #72
James Jobling

I was also ploughing through the names in the catalogue of Mueller's collection, and had come across Corvus Klevenhuelleri. As Laurent states, the name is probably a MS one and hence a nom. nud., but I am still interested in who Klevenhueller might be. Google comes up with a variety of counts and dukes with the names Khevenhueller and Klevenhueller, but none seem suitable.
Old Friday 11th May 2018, 04:29   #73
mb1848

In an article about Brehm's collection in Novitates Zoologicae: A Journal of Zoology in Connection with the ..., Volume 8., is mentioned Khevenhüller’s Rabe from J. W. Müller’s Handschrift. Handwriting = MS? It is described as bigger than C. umbrinus.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...ge/55/mode/1up .
Yarrell mentions a Prince Richard Khevenhüller who collected birds in 1856.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...e/424/mode/1up .
I think, Richard Maria Johann Basil, 5th Fürst [Prince] Khevenhüller-Metsch (1813- 1877)

Last edited by mb1848 : Friday 11th May 2018 at 06:49.
Old Friday 11th May 2018, 08:49   #74
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

There´s a [Cinclus] "Khevenhülleri" mentioned in Journal für Ornithologie 1856 (here), in a paper by Ludwig Brehm.

To me "Corvus Klevenhülleri Müll." simply looks like a typo or a printers error.

Note; there´s also a beetle named [Adelops] "Khevenhülleri", by Ludwig Miller 1852 (here):
Quote:
Herr Ludwig Miller legt die Abbildung und Beschreibung eines neuen sehr interessanten Höhlenkäfers vor, welchen der Herr Vereins-Präsident, Seine Durchlaucht Fürst von K h e v e n h ü l l e r, in der Adelsberger Höhle aufgefunden hat.
Who (or which) Fürst von Khevenhüller Miller was commemorating is all unknown to me. But I assume the part "Herr Vereins-Präsident" is a clue, that might/could crack the case? If you look at p.5 (here) in the same journal (Verhandlungen des Zoologisch-Botanischen Vereins in Wien) we find:
Quote:
"Sr. Durchl. Fürst Richard Khevenhüller-Metsch, als Präses"
To me, it looks like Mark's suggestion is a high likely candidate.

For what it´s worth. If of any help?

Björn
--

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 11th May 2018 at 09:06. Reason: typo
Old Friday 11th May 2018, 10:09   #75
James Jobling

Thanks, Mark and Björn. Despite the status of the names I am convinced by your findings, and have created both khevenhuelleri and the misspelling klevenhuelleri in the Key.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: