Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Are there fish listers?

Old Sunday 12th August 2018, 16:40   #1
Winterdune

Are there fish listers?

Just done my PADI Open Water Diver course in Thailand and it made me wonder if there's a community of fish listers, or even maybe twitchers? Anyone know? I could certainly see myself starting a list...
Thanks
Sean
Old Sunday 12th August 2018, 17:05   #2
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterdune View Post
Just done my PADI Open Water Diver course in Thailand and it made me wonder if there's a community of fish listers, or even maybe twitchers? Anyone know? I could certainly see myself starting a list...
Thanks
Sean
There are certainly books on the ID of Fishes in some diving hot spots. I'll bet people do 'tick' what they've seen on dives in their books, as for listing?

People do target the big stuff like Manta Ray and Whale Shark at known migration hot spots though I'm not sure you could call it twitching.

https://www.amazon.com/Divers-Guide-.../dp/0907151051

https://www.nhbs.com/fishes-of-the-i...d-red-sea-book

https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Fishes-C.../dp/0658013092

Last edited by andyadcock : Sunday 12th August 2018 at 17:10.
Old Tuesday 14th August 2018, 20:30   #3
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Of course there are fish listers.
I think if you've reported a few 100 and look like you're after some odd ones, you count as one... (definitely not me!)
https://observation.org/ranks_v2.php...groep=9&prov=0
(I guess this is the best site to keep your records if you want to become a serious fish lister).
Old Wednesday 15th August 2018, 17:34   #4
Troubador

We aren't dedicated fish listers as such but by golly we take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself to watch them. Locally we have watched spawning Grayling and one of the only self-sustaining population of Rainbow Trout and always stop to watch Brown Trout. By the sea this year we have watched joyful shoals of Sandeels, and Sand Goby, Rock Goby, 15-spined Stickleback and Dragonet as well as many young and unidentified flat fish.

Lee
Old Wednesday 15th August 2018, 18:14   #5
coaltit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
We aren't dedicated fish listers as such but by golly we take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself to watch them. Locally we have watched spawning Grayling and one of the only self-sustaining population of Rainbow Trout and always stop to watch Brown Trout. By the sea this year we have watched joyful shoals of Sandeels, and Sand Goby, Rock Goby, 15-spined Stickleback and Dragonet as well as many young and unidentified flat fish.

Lee
The Grayling, The Rainbow trout, and the Brown trout are probably the ones I see being local to yourself but I had no Idea the Grayling were spawning when present so pleased to hear that along with the rainbow Trout too, I only rarely get to the coast now days but as a youngster along with my dad we did a bit of Angling together and what I saw and did is apart of what made me what I am today thou I don,t go angling now days I swapped my rod for my birdwatching, I could spend hours as a kid at rock pools at either devon or cornwall trying to catch rock gobys but whatever I caught there went back into the water it was a thrill not knowing what you might catch, but one occasion I won,t forget was when I got brief but good Views of a spider crab in a rock pool has he moved out of sight perhaps a rare thing to see in a pool just writeing about it here I can feel the pleasure it gave me nearly 50 years ago.
Old Wednesday 15th August 2018, 19:17   #6
Ficedula
velico ergo sum

A few here and here

Very much in its infancy compare to birding with no one on igt over 1000 species. I have never learned how to scuba dive so I am confined to snorkeling, a net in rock pools and occasional angling trips.
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 12:59   #7
Odonate

And here for the uk: http://www.brc.ac.uk/psl/group-rankings/fish

O
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: