• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie Taming in 3 Weeks (1 Viewer)

Kyro

Hi,

Three weeks ago I woke up with a magpie on my window ledge outside looking in at me. It was extremely odd, around here they would never do that. Though I noticed that it's just a baby. I got up went outside and was feeding it by hand, there were others. It's parents were behind it. There were about five in that situation, every third day I went outside and gave them bacon.

Now to the present day I have around 20-40 magpies come to my backyard and I hand feed them. The adults are a bit still sketchy of me and I understand that but it's just different for magpies to suddenly do this. I think they may go off to migrate soon and I'm trying to identify them so I know which one they are after. I also want to try full domesticate them, I mean they can fly around and do their things but I mean actually have them on my arm. I know that a lot of birds can remember your face and know you. It seems that they only trust me and sit outside waiting for me everyday, they even sometimes fly up and sit on a chair next to me while I am reading a book and stay there for about an hour. I've developed a friendly relationship with about 40 magpies within three weeks.

Any idea's on how I get them on my arm to feed them?

You should really be doing the opposite,they are wild birds & should keep their distance from humans.

Hi,

Three weeks ago I woke up with a magpie on my window ledge outside looking in at me. It was extremely odd, around here they would never do that. Though I noticed that it's just a baby. I got up went outside and was feeding it by hand, there were others. It's parents were behind it. There were about five in that situation, every third day I went outside and gave them bacon.

Now to the present day I have around 20-40 magpies come to my backyard and I hand feed them. The adults are a bit still sketchy of me and I understand that but it's just different for magpies to suddenly do this. I think they may go off to migrate soon and I'm trying to identify them so I know which one they are after. I also want to try full domesticate them, I mean they can fly around and do their things but I mean actually have them on my arm. I know that a lot of birds can remember your face and know you. It seems that they only trust me and sit outside waiting for me everyday, they even sometimes fly up and sit on a chair next to me while I am reading a book and stay there for about an hour. I've developed a friendly relationship with about 40 magpies within three weeks.

Any idea's on how I get them on my arm to feed them?

If you fall down dead in the garden, they'll be all over you......:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back