Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which model is more advanced?

Old Sunday 6th January 2019, 17:17   #1
gonz33

Which model is more advanced?

Greetings to all, I want to buy a Swarovski binocular that is 12x50 or 15x56 I love those 2 magnifications, but I have a question, which model currently of the Swarovski is the most advanced (EL 12X50 or SLC 15X56) I want to buy the most technologically advanced model , Thank you.
Old Sunday 6th January 2019, 21:59   #2
NDhunter

The EL SV was designed first, and the 15x56 was updated more recently.

They are both advanced, and the coatings are also at a high level.

The sizes are very different, the 12x50 can be handheld, but a 15x56 should be tripod mounted,
so you will have to decide on which you prefer.

Jerry
Old Monday 7th January 2019, 12:52   #3
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

As Jerry says, "advanced" doesn't mean much in relation to these binoculars. The Swarovision has a more "complex" lens system, incorporating field flattening elements, but the SLC is a top of the line instrument as well with the highest level of coatings, glass, etc.

Justin
Old Monday 7th January 2019, 16:37   #4
dries1

Gonz33,

If you want to get some info on both binoculars go to the website Scopeviews in the UK, he has done reviews on both.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th January 2019, 18:53   #5
quincy88

Hi Gonz33,

Recently, I was also trying to decide between the EL 12s and the SLC 15s and I ultimately ended up with the SLCs. They are a pretty dang amazing pair of binoculars.

As Jerry said, I use them tripod mounted almost all of the time.

To help make my decision I read and reread the reviews on scopeviews that Andy recommended. Some of the best reviews that I have seen anywhere.

I wrote my thoughts on my 15s here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=370386

I don't know which is more advanced technologically, nor do I have the expertise to understand what that would mean, but I highly recommend the SLCs regardless.

-as you were, q
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 19:33   #6
amgc36

It seems to me there is a noticeable difference in the potential use cases for the 12x50 EL vs the 15x56 SLC. Size and magnification to start. What are you hoping to view? Do you need the larger aperture to allow for more light or do you want something manageable in size? As earlier posters noted, both series offer advanced technology with slightly different wrinkles.
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 03:52   #7
gonz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgc36 View Post
It seems to me there is a noticeable difference in the potential use cases for the 12x50 EL vs the 15x56 SLC. Size and magnification to start. What are you hoping to view? Do you need the larger aperture to allow for more light or do you want something manageable in size? As earlier posters noted, both series offer advanced technology with slightly different wrinkles.
I can enjoy both, but my question is which of the two models is new or newer?

Thanks.

Jose.
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 03:59   #8
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonz33 View Post

Thanks.

Jose.
Both models are current models.

If you need to know what is new or newer, then consult Siri.

Good luck with your search.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 07:46   #9
Troubador

Quote:

Thanks.

Jose.
Jose

Your question is not so easy to answer. As a full new model launch then I would guess the EL is the newest BUT SLC has since been modified (one change was to increase the close-focus distance) but it is arguable that this does not make it a 'new model', only a 'recently modified' one. I hope Swaro enthusiasts will step in here if I have got this wrong.

Lee
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 08:18   #10
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Greetings to all, I want to buy a Swarovski binocular that is 12x50 or 15x56 I love those 2 magnifications, but I have a question, which model currently of the Swarovski is the most advanced (EL 12X50 or SLC 15X56) I want to buy the most technologically advanced model , Thank you.
You could make the argument for either line.

The SV's have a field flattener optical design that gives a sharp to the edge of the FOV view. The also have Schmidt-Pechan (S-P) prisms (dielectrically coated).

The ×56mm SLC's {[EDIT]: corrected as per John's following post - thanks! - ("except the 15×" which is thought to have a flattening element of some sort)} don't feature the field flatteners of the SV, and some people even prefer it this way. They have Abbe-Koenig (A-K) prisms which are 100% internally reflecting. As such they should be a couple of % brighter (which is hard to practically detect, if not impossible), though don't forget that exit pupil size will more likely have a greater effect.

Every time I have compared the two directly, I have come up with a different favourite depending on the conditions.

The only difference of any real effect for me is the weight. The ×50 SV is nicely hand holdable (in 10× , the 12× was oddly much more shaky for me) despite its kilo weight, but I find the SLC heavy - very heavy. It's no fun hand holding that for me, and I'd want a harness rather than have it hanging around my neck.

It's very much going to be a matter of personal preference.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Thursday 10th January 2019 at 01:49. Reason: correct Field Flattener element for 15× as per John's following post

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 10:20   #11
John A Roberts

Regarding Field Flattening in the EL SV compared to the SLC

While Field Flattening is an integral part of the EL SV specification - and it’s not considered to be an SLC characteristic - the 15x56 is the exception in the SLC line

See Roger Vine’s review which includes a comparison photo of the viewed image of the 15x56 compared to that of the EL SV 10x50:http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro15x56SLCHD.htm

The SLC’s Tech Data sheet indicates that the 15x56 has an extra lens in each barrel compared to it’s 8x and 10x counterparts, presumedly to enable an FF design eyepiece

The reason for FF in the 15x56 is probably based upon it’s perceived primary use - long range viewing including for astronomy

So there is one less point of technological distinction between the choices - whoops, sorry about that Jose!

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Technical SLC2 (10:13).pdf (512.8 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by John A Roberts : Wednesday 9th January 2019 at 10:44.
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 21:22   #12
14Goudvink

The completely redesigned SLC 56 range is newer than the EL SV.
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 21:42   #13
gonz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Goudvink View Post
The completely redesigned SLC 56 range is newer than the EL SV.

Friend you will know what is the model number SLC 15x56 new model?
Thank, Jose.
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 00:06   #14
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

If you wait, something newer is bound to appear eventually....
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 00:14   #15
John A Roberts

Jose

The current 15x56 was introduced in 2013, and is model 58291
(the previous model - which is a totally different design - was produced to 2013, and is model 58191)

All current x56 models have a serial number starting with the letter N (the earlier model started with D)

MODEL NUMBER LOCATION
The model number is not marked on the binocular, but is part of the UPC number which is on the box label (see the example from the web)

On the label:
- UPC stands for Universal Product Code, and
- EAN stands for European Article Number (it’s otherwise known as the IAN - International AN)
Both the numbers and the associated bar codes are designed for computerised stock management

WHAT’S IN THE NUMBER
The UPC is 12 digits with 3 components:
- the first 6 digits comprise the company code (Swarovski Optik)
- the next 5 digits, the model number (in this case the current 15x56)
- the last digit is an algorithmic check digit

AND TO FILL IN THE MISSING DETAILS
The EAN is 13 digits with 3 components:
- the first 3 digits comprise the country code (Austria)
- the next 4 digits, the company code
- the last 6 digits the product number

If you need the model number when ordering, it will be the UPC one, 58291

Happy viewing
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15x56 label.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	684262  

Last edited by John A Roberts : Thursday 10th January 2019 at 00:41.
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 19:56   #16
14Goudvink

Great reply, John
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 20:20   #17
gonz33

Thanks John.
Jose.
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 23:14   #18
gonz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
Jose

The current 15x56 was introduced in 2013, and is model 58291
(the previous model - which is a totally different design - was produced to 2013, and is model 58191)

All current x56 models have a serial number starting with the letter N (the earlier model started with D)

MODEL NUMBER LOCATION
The model number is not marked on the binocular, but is part of the UPC number which is on the box label (see the example from the web)

On the label:
- UPC stands for Universal Product Code, and
- EAN stands for European Article Number (it’s otherwise known as the IAN - International AN)
Both the numbers and the associated bar codes are designed for computerised stock management

WHAT’S IN THE NUMBER
The UPC is 12 digits with 3 components:
- the first 6 digits comprise the company code (Swarovski Optik)
- the next 5 digits, the model number (in this case the current 15x56)
- the last digit is an algorithmic check digit

AND TO FILL IN THE MISSING DETAILS
The EAN is 13 digits with 3 components:
- the first 3 digits comprise the country code (Austria)
- the next 4 digits, the company code
- the last 6 digits the product number

If you need the model number when ordering, it will be the UPC one, 58291

Happy viewing
John
Another doubt that comes to my mind, because the EL 12x50 model costs more money than the SLC 15x56.

Thanks John.

Jose.
Old Friday 11th January 2019, 09:01   #19
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post

The reason for FF in the 15x56 is probably based upon it’s perceived primary use - long range viewing including for astronomy

John
John

Gilmore Girl in private correspondence recently commented that the FF in Zeiss's FL10x32 (which was pre EL SV!) was likely there to make the best use of the sweet spot and perhaps this is also true of the SLC with highest magnification.

Lee
Old Friday 11th January 2019, 11:28   #20
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Not all Field Flatteners are created equal !

There are a few bins that have a field flattening 'element' yet don't exhibit the SV's sharp to the edge view - that's a pretty deliberate, integrated design.

The 15×56 SLC did look pretty good in the review posted though, however, along with the handy size reduction from the previous iteration, I note that they pinched a bit of Fov as well, going from 69°AFov down to 63°AFov ......

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th January 2019, 01:29   #21
gonz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
If you wait, something newer is bound to appear eventually....
Friend you believe that Swarovski will present new models of Binoculars, 2019?

Thanks.
Jose.
Old Sunday 13th January 2019, 09:29   #22
PYRTLE

Quote:

Thanks.
Jose.
Perhaps he meant, the longer you wait the more chance of a newer model coming out. All the time you wait for something new, is time without a binocular.
Old Sunday 13th January 2019, 18:19   #23
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Perhaps he meant, the longer you wait the more chance of a newer model coming out. All the time you wait for something new, is time without a binocular.
yes.
Old Thursday 17th January 2019, 21:27   #24
Patriot222

Quote:

Thanks.
Jose.
Not directed to me but I don't think this will be the case.

Rather than going for the "newest" why not get the one that best suits your needs.

I have both models and owned the 12x50 about a year before I got the brand new version of 15x56. Which to I like best? It depends on what I'm doing. IMO, I think both are a struggle (or at least, not ideal) without a tripod so I rarely use either of them hand held. 90% of my hand held use over the past 6-8 years has been with stabilized Canon binoculars.

The 12x50's seem to be brighter at the beginning and end of the day and can peer into shadow areas a bit better. I like to use them when walking through the Ponderosa forests while toting a tripod. The FOV is sufficient enough that I usually don't carry another optic. If I do, it's something much smaller like the 8x25CL, which gives me more freedom of movement to find animals and them aim the 12x50s at them.

The newest 15x56's (I've owned all 3 main versions) were a big step up from version 1 & 2, in almost every area of concern. I owned versions 2 & 3 simultaneously and I was impressed with the improvements. Still, the FOV is limited, so I tend to use them in more open county and at long distance and I also tend to use them in conjunction with an 8x32.

I would say that deciding between these to binoculars has more to do with choosing between an optical geometry rather than a model because they're both at or near the top of their class for the two respective magnifications.

If you're going to do any hand held viewing, just go with the 12x50's. The 15x56's are a dedicated tripod binocular that's great for revealing a good bit more detail in what you're looking at if you don't mind restricting yourself to a tripod.

Last edited by Patriot222 : Thursday 17th January 2019 at 21:29.
Old Friday 18th January 2019, 03:30   #25
gonz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot222 View Post
Not directed to me but I don't think this will be the case.

Rather than going for the "newest" why not get the one that best suits your needs.

I have both models and owned the 12x50 about a year before I got the brand new version of 15x56. Which to I like best? It depends on what I'm doing. IMO, I think both are a struggle (or at least, not ideal) without a tripod so I rarely use either of them hand held. 90% of my hand held use over the past 6-8 years has been with stabilized Canon binoculars.

The 12x50's seem to be brighter at the beginning and end of the day and can peer into shadow areas a bit better. I like to use them when walking through the Ponderosa forests while toting a tripod. The FOV is sufficient enough that I usually don't carry another optic. If I do, it's something much smaller like the 8x25CL, which gives me more freedom of movement to find animals and them aim the 12x50s at them.

The newest 15x56's (I've owned all 3 main versions) were a big step up from version 1 & 2, in almost every area of concern. I owned versions 2 & 3 simultaneously and I was impressed with the improvements. Still, the FOV is limited, so I tend to use them in more open county and at long distance and I also tend to use them in conjunction with an 8x32.

I would say that deciding between these to binoculars has more to do with choosing between an optical geometry rather than a model because they're both at or near the top of their class for the two respective magnifications.

If you're going to do any hand held viewing, just go with the 12x50's. The 15x56's are a dedicated tripod binocular that's great for revealing a good bit more detail in what you're looking at if you don't mind restricting yourself to a tripod.
Thanks Patriot222.
I want to buy those that offer greater clarity and sharpness in the image, although I love to observe distant objects and airplanes, hopefully the 12x50 comply with my expetatives.

José.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: