Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Peregrine vs goose

Old Wednesday 19th December 2018, 17:53   #1
Falcon/bird of prey

Peregrine vs goose

Hi all,
I've seen this a few times on the internet but never got a solid answer.
Would a peregrine kill a goose for food or any other reasons etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by Andy Bright : Wednesday 26th December 2018 at 09:35.
Old Wednesday 19th December 2018, 19:33   #2
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon/bird of prey View Post
I've seen this a few times on the internet but never got a solid answer.
Would a peregrine kill a goose for food or any other reasons etc.
Peregrines seem to hunt for birds that are small and light enough to carry them away to eat them.

An adult goose probably would be too heavy for a peregrine, so I'd say the peregrine would normally not try to attack one.

I've seen a peregrine catch a Common Gull once, and while it was able to carry the gull in one foot, the Peregrine really landed straight away at the nearest point at the shore to eat it. A Common Gull weighs less than 500 g, while an adult goose might weigh more than five times as much.

Regards,

Henning
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 14:38   #3
RecoveringScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Hi,

Peregrines seem to hunt for birds that are small and light enough to carry them away to eat them.

An adult goose probably would be too heavy for a peregrine, so I'd say the peregrine would normally not try to attack one.

I've seen a peregrine catch a Common Gull once, and while it was able to carry the gull in one foot, the Peregrine really landed straight away at the nearest point at the shore to eat it. A Common Gull weighs less than 500 g, while an adult goose might weigh more than five times as much.

Regards,

Henning
Peregrines would have no trouble breaking a Goose's neck in a stoop, and diving to ground to eat the prey on the ground. They tend to carry prey when feeding young.
Old Saturday 22nd December 2018, 10:08   #4
andreadawn

There is a record of a wild Peregrine knocking a Greylag Goose into the Solway but the goose recovered and flew off.

"The Peregrine Falcon, second edition" by Derek Ratcliffe will tell you pretty much everything you might want to know about wild Peregrines in Britain including prey species. It appears to be available relatively cheaply on Kindle.

However, as noted in one of your other threads, this forum is a place for discussion of wild birds, not falconry. Why not channel your obvious enthusiasm for these birds into learning about wild birds? Maybe in the future you will be able to contribute something towards our understanding of birds of prey and assist with their conservation. I think that would be far more rewarding than following through with your desire to own wild birds.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 15:46   #5
Nivado

Maybe a little late but last winter somewhere at the shores of Zeeland, Netherlands, me and a couple college birders found a Barnacle goose killed by a Peregrine. The heart was gone and a part of the chest was eaten, the rest of the (poor) goose was intact..
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: