Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding in Puerto Vallarta

Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 20:38   #1
SussexOG

Angry Birding in Puerto Vallarta

Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Puerto Vallarta region - excellent birds and sightings of Humpback Whales as a bonus. We had arranged for a guide called Alejandro Martinez to take us to the San Sebastian area - didn't show and no email to say why - we waited outside our hotel from 0600 - 0700hrs. Not impressed and would not recommend this guide at all - try someone else!
Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 13:46   #2
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Sorry to hear about your no-show. I had a few hours night birding with Alejandro Martinez on that trip and did ok.

I would be interested to hear what you did see as this area has loads of potential.

I had a great couple of days birding before and after work during a conference visit in December 2014.

My old report is here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=295856.

Cheers
Mike

Hong Kong: European Golden Plover, Blunt-winged Warbler, Fire-capped Tit (472)
Greater China: Franklin's Gull, Buff-breasted Sandpiper European Golden Plover (972)
Lifer: Steller's Sea Eagle, Japanese Accentor
Old Monday 4th February 2019, 14:42   #3
SussexOG

Puerto Vallarta

Hi Mike,

It was really disappointing as the tour sounded really good going up to San Sebastian - but no doubt somebody offered more money, even though there were 4 of us - so wouldn't recommend this guy at all, but we did use another guide called Gerardo from Nature Vallarta Birding Tours who was excellent and restored my faith in Mexican bird guides.

We stayed at a hotel in Nuevo Vallarta so went out every morning and found some good birding spots around the area and saw 172 species of which 52 were new to my life list - the best were Orange-billed Nightingale Thrush, Black-throated Grey Warbler, Rufous-bellied Chacalaca, Lilac-crownedParrot, Mexican Parrotlets, Military Macaw, 4 new Hummers, Vermillion Flycatcher, Black-capped Vireo, Black-throated Magpie Jay, Blue & Yellow Grosbeak & Buff-collared Nightjar.

Also a highlight was seeing lots of Humpback Whales and the best was when they lowered a hydrophone over the rib and we could listen to the song of the whales - awesome, how could anyone want to kill these majestic animals. We also attended a release of c60 baby Olive Ridley Turtles which again was great to see, but more importantly how they protect their turtles, if you are caught with turtle eggs its 9 years in jail without appeal which gets a thumbs up from me.
Old Monday 4th February 2019, 17:18   #4
Selsey Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SussexOG View Post
Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Puerto Vallarta region - excellent birds and sightings of Humpback Whales as a bonus. We had arranged for a guide called Alejandro Martinez to take us to the San Sebastian area - didn't show and no email to say why - we waited outside our hotel from 0600 - 0700hrs. Not impressed and would not recommend this guide at all - try someone else!

Welcome back to Blighty you Old Git !!

Heard a few tales of your exploits on Sunday morning, hope to see you soon.

Ian
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: