Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2019 - New models EL

Old Friday 15th February 2019, 23:16   #1
NDhunter

2019 - New models EL

Every 10 years Swarovski has been coming out with a new binocular
model in the flagship. In 1999 the EL was introduced, 2009 the EL
Swarovision, so I wonder what is coming this year.

I think it will prove interesting.

Jerry
Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 02:04   #2
Gilmore Girl
Beth

I wonder if they will work their way up with the models;
first the CL upgrade, then comes new SLC and finally an update to the EL SV.

I don't know what they could do to improve the EL SV; maybe better glare control
in the 32mm and possibly correct rolling ball (not everyone sees it though). Already has
beautiful design, ergonomics and optics. Also, awesome viewing comfort especially with eyeglasses.
So I wonder really what else there is to improve on...already a great binocular.

If they do an EL upgrade, I hope they don't go with aesthetic design like new CL with loud silver bling.
Current look of EL is beautiful. Hope they don't mess that up.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Saturday 16th February 2019 at 02:10.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 03:16   #3
John A Roberts

Per Swarovski's event calendar ( https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/dates ), the IWA fair is on in Nuremberg from the 8th of March, and they are attending
IWA is an abbreviation for Internationale Waffen Ausstellung ('International Weapons Exhibition')

It's the biggest international trade fair for civilian firearms and related activities, and would be a likely venue for the launch of a major new product
- if so, Swarovski may soon start posting 'teasers' on their website

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Saturday 16th February 2019 at 04:51.
Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 08:13   #4
Troubador

If not at IWA then maybe at Bird Fair in August............

Lee
Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 10:43   #5
John A Roberts

While this is outside the scope of interest for most here at BirdForum . . .

Having thought about the current product lines this afternoon, the most obviously needed evolutionary upgrade is to the El Range/ O-Range models
The needs are specifically in relation to the ballistic calculation functions, which reflect the constant leapfrogging of comparative capabilities, typical to most digital technology

For some context, see the recent and concise comparative ratings of the 'Big 3's' RF binoculars, by dwever: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=368064

A) Data Transfer
Both the new generation Zeiss RF binoculars (introduced in 2018), and Swarovski’s own dS RF telescopic sight (introduced in 2017),
use Bluetooth to upload/ download ballistic data and set preferences, via a hand-held device
This seems to be the emerging standard for electronic RF devices, as:
- the data can be more efficiently viewed and selected on a conventional screen device, and
- a Bluetooth link provides the potential for firmware upgrades

B) Additional Capability
The current generation Zeiss and Leica units include solid state ambient temperature and barometric pressure sensors, to adjust for the effect of air density on ballistic drag
- again this enables more precise ballistic calculations

If such upgrades are in the works, IWA would be the obvious launch venue

. . . having said all that, here’s hoping they’ve been working hard at Absam and that we’ll soon see yet another revolutionary change to the EL line!

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Saturday 16th February 2019 at 11:11.
Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 12:21   #6
reverie

Hi All. Sure I read an interview with a Swarovski employee that they might be evaluating Image stabilisation for future models. Can anyone confirm?
Apologies no link so pls take with a grain of salt.

Jonti
Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 15:40   #7
Torview

Maybe a weight reduction, possibly an increase in fov, especially for the 10x42, I would`nt mind an EL with the balance, focusser, fov of the SF, baffling and stray light control of the NV and the current material quality of the SV.
Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 01:47   #8
jgraider

Swarovski introduced no new models at the huge SHOT show in Vegas this past January. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on one this year.
Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 14:32   #9
cycleguy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
While this is outside the scope of interest for most here at BirdForum . . .

Having thought about the current product lines this afternoon, the most obviously needed evolutionary upgrade is to the El Range/ O-Range models
The needs are specifically in relation to the ballistic calculation functions, which reflect the constant leapfrogging of comparative capabilities, typical to most digital technology

For some context, see the recent and concise comparative ratings of the 'Big 3's' RF binoculars, by dwever: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=368064

A) Data Transfer
Both the new generation Zeiss RF binoculars (introduced in 2018), and Swarovski’s own dS RF telescopic sight (introduced in 2017),
use Bluetooth to upload/ download ballistic data and set preferences, via a hand-held device
This seems to be the emerging standard for electronic RF devices, as:
- the data can be more efficiently viewed and selected on a conventional screen device, and
- a Bluetooth link provides the potential for firmware upgrades

B) Additional Capability
The current generation Zeiss and Leica units include solid state ambient temperature and barometric pressure sensors, to adjust for the effect of air density on ballistic drag
- again this enables more precise ballistic calculations

If such upgrades are in the works, IWA would be the obvious launch venue

. . . having said all that, here’s hoping they’ve been working hard at Absam and that we’ll soon see yet another revolutionary change to the EL line!

John
It will be interesting to see how the range finding with ballistic & atmospheric compensation battle shakes out. Will people buy a scope or a binocular or both? If I'm hunting and have it in my rifle scope I certainly don't need it in my binocular, and these are approx $3K instruments so not much room for duplication for most. Scope will red-dot illuminate the aim point with everything factored in and the binocular won't be able to do this and will only offer the information. Ergos will play a large part of it too ... Zeiss is moving the market with range finding binoculars and Swaro is moving the market with the scopes. Burris is on its third gen of scope but is still a large and bulky platform.

I'm guessing larger field of view with larger sweet spot as the SF did will be the direction for upper end glass.

CG

Last edited by cycleguy : Sunday 17th February 2019 at 14:34.
Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 15:40   #10
Robert Moore

I just looked up my Swarovski 8x56 slc at B&H and it says they are discontinued. The 10x56 is still available.
Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 18:33   #11
PeterPS

Robert:

The B&H also says that the new Nikon WX 10x50 is discontinued. I think they simply mean they are out of stock.
Swarovski Optik does not say that the SLC 8x56 is discontinued.

Peter
Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 18:41   #12
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie View Post
Hi All. Sure I read an interview with a Swarovski employee that they might be evaluating Image stabilisation for future models. Can anyone confirm?
Apologies no link so pls take with a grain of salt.

Jonti
I hope that these rumors are true and that either Swaro or Zeiss will launch an attractive IS binos line in the not too distant future; in the case of Zeiss something smaller and more robust than their mechanically stabilized 20x60S.
Old Monday 18th February 2019, 20:45   #13
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
...I don't know what they could do to improve the EL SV; maybe better glare control...
For those of us who use (or _try_ to use) the close focus of these bins, the answer for improvement is obvious: the EL SV needs an update to give it variable-ratio focus.

Fixing the glare problem in the 32 mm would be nice, and a general improvement to contrast in all models would also be nice. I'm not saying that contrast is lacking compared to the competition, but any improvements in that area, which certainly has room for improvement, are always appreciated.

--AP
Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 02:35   #14
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Every 10 years Swarovski has been coming out with a new binocular
model in the flagship. In 1999 the EL was introduced, 2009 the EL
Swarovision, so I wonder what is coming this year.

I think it will prove interesting.

Jerry
Jerry, Swarovski is a professional company, and this seems like a strange thread you have started

Everybody has their own wish list of what they would like to see ....... BUT - do you have any source or actual real information on this?
Or, is it merely 'your' speculative 'wondering' based on a coincidental product development timeframe (with different personnel entirely) sample size of two?

What makes you "think" it will "prove" interesting ......

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 02:57   #15
NDhunter

Chosun:

Go jump back down your hole.

Jerry
Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 03:06   #16
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Chosun:

Go jump back down your hole.

Jerry
Jerry,

A simple .... yes - here is my source information, or no - I was just wondering out loud, would have sufficed to my legitimate question.

I'm sure you're a better man than your reply, and hope that you are ok.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 16:33   #17
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Interesting thought Jerry. I'm trying to think what would impress me enough to purchase a new Swarovski. Quite honestly it would have to be a new model. Maybe a 7X32/35. EL or SLC, it probably wouldn't matter. Maybe a slimmed down EL 8X42.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 17:06   #18
Troubador

Jerry I'm putting my money on a product launch at this year's British Bird Fair in August.

Lee
Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 17:20   #19
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Improved glare control (esp. in the 32mm) would be interesting, though I'm not sure if that would negatively effect the ease of eye-placement many people have experienced.
I like AP's suggestion of a variable speed focus, as I've always found the 8.5x42 and 10x42 to have a non-ideal knob for close in birding; that was actually the main reason I got rid of my 10x42 EL.

Not a lot you can improve, in my opinion. Updated coatings are always welcome, but that wouldn't be enough for me to buy a new model over an old - similar to the FP kit not being all that enticing to me, personally.

Justin
Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 22:39   #20
Tringa45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
I like AP's suggestion of a variable speed focus, as I've always found the 8.5x42 and 10x42 to have a non-ideal knob for close in birding; that was actually the main reason I got rid of my 10x42 EL.
A 10x42 is suboptimal for close-in birding. Not only does it have a relatively narrow Fov, but its depth of field is only half that of a 7x binocular at the same distance and one has to search for the bird in the third dimension.

Individual preferences on speed of focus vary, sometimes too slow, sometimes too sensitive. I'm not aware of any binocular with variable speed focus, but if this is on someone's wish list, I should be interested to hear how many degrees of focus travel per dioptre they require at the shorter distances, and how many at the longer distances.

John
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 00:55   #21
John A Roberts

Expanding on a point in John/ Tringa45’s post

It’s always struck me as slightly odd that when the EL line was introduced it was in 8.5x42 and 10x42,
verses Leica and Zeiss typically offering three x42’s in 7x, 8x and 10x

One explanation is that a 7x42 EL may have always been planned as a future option . . .
The trio of 7x, 8.5x and 10x offers even increases of magnification:
7 x 1.2 = a nominal 8.5 (actually 8.4), and; 8.5 x 1.2 = a nominal 10 (actually 10.2)

As we know, 7x is very much the minority choice in terms of sales between 7x42, 8/8.5x42 and 10x42 options
However, being a big fan of 7x, I’d certainly welcome a 7x42 EL

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Wednesday 20th February 2019 at 01:24.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 03:35   #22
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Jerry,

A simple .... yes - here is my source information, or no - I was just wondering out loud, would have sufficed to my legitimate question.

I'm sure you're a better man than your reply, and hope that you are ok.

Chosun
Completely unacceptable posting, ND. Classless. Apology owed to CJ.

Back on topic, and just my opinion, but I don't expect to see much of anything revolutionary. An IS binc from Swaro would be pretty amazing, one can only imagine the cost involved with such an optic with "Swarovski" stamped on the side of it.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 14:55   #23
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
Expanding on a point in John/ Tringa45’s post

It’s always struck me as slightly odd that when the EL line was introduced it was in 8.5x42 and 10x42,
verses Leica and Zeiss typically offering three x42’s in 7x, 8x and 10x

One explanation is that a 7x42 EL may have always been planned as a future option . . .
The trio of 7x, 8.5x and 10x offers even increases of magnification:
7 x 1.2 = a nominal 8.5 (actually 8.4), and; 8.5 x 1.2 = a nominal 10 (actually 10.2)

As we know, 7x is very much the minority choice in terms of sales between 7x42, 8/8.5x42 and 10x42 options
However, being a big fan of 7x, I’d certainly welcome a 7x42 EL

John
It seems to me that if you are not going to offer a 7x in 42mm (which disappeared from the SLC line around 2010) in a new series of binoculars you have to do something unique and different with your 8/10x42s.

An expensive 8.5x42 with all the trimmings can fit the bill for that. Especially when you are keeping your standard and less expensive 8x42SLC and 10x42SLC in the line up.

Alternatively, when Zeiss dropped their 7x42Victory it offered in 2014 the completely redesigned Victory SFs in 8x42 and 10x42.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 20th February 2019 at 14:58.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 15:02   #24
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Interesting thought Jerry. I'm trying to think what would impress me enough to purchase a new Swarovski. Quite honestly it would have to be a new model. Maybe a 7X32/35. EL or SLC, it probably wouldn't matter. Maybe a slimmed down EL 8X42.
I agree with you, a 7 x 35 would be fantastic.
P
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 17:04   #25
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
A 10x42 is suboptimal for close-in birding. Not only does it have a relatively narrow Fov, but its depth of field is only half that of a 7x binocular at the same distance and one has to search for the bird in the third dimension.

Individual preferences on speed of focus vary, sometimes too slow, sometimes too sensitive. I'm not aware of any binocular with variable speed focus, but if this is on someone's wish list, I should be interested to hear how many degrees of focus travel per dioptre they require at the shorter distances, and how many at the longer distances.

John

John
I would put it this way: I would love to try out a bino with the focus speed of an SF from infinity down to 10m (this is a touch faster than an EL) and then below 10m the focus speed of Conquest HD 8x32 (twice the speed of SF).
With zero back-lash / free-play in the focus, please.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: