• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E520/510, Sharpness & O Master 2 (1 Viewer)

Zenzero

It seems to me that some functions of Olympus Master 2 RAW editor stage simply do not function on my photos taken on E520.
(Note I am not referring to the jpeg editor)

In particular varying the sharpness attribute from "as shot" to any setting between -2 to+2 has no effect whatsoever on my images.
Also the Noise filter attribute will allow it to be switched "off" but you cannot vary it from Low to Standard to High. If I try I see no difference.

Am I missing something obvious? I can find no reference to these OM2 functions not working anywhere, and maybe they do work on the E510. The "help" says they do vary with camera model.
Wrotniak's review of OM2 makes no mention of this and I can find no mention anywhere else.

If this is the case and the software doesn't work, then will it definitely work as it should if I get Photoshop elements 7 or Olympus Studio. What do other users do about RAW editing?

A Reboot of the computer and the software seems to work now. I can only think the effects were a lot more subtle than I was expecting.
The eyes are the first to go! ;)

The eyes are the first to go! ;)
Actually, the first thing that happens is that you start talking to yourself. Some even do it on public forums! ;-)

Actually, your posting showed e some interesting features of using RAW. I heard all the benefits many times, but seeing how you can vary the camera's sharpness setting after the image has been taken is very interesting. Maybe RAW is in my future...

I didn't get on very well with the Olympus Master 2 RAW editor and now use Adobe Camera Raw with Photoshop. I find this works pretty well but it does seem to be a bit hit or miss.

I only shoot RAW now as it gives a bit more scope to control the highlights, especially if you use -EV when shooting. I convert the ORF files to DNG with DNG Converter and dump the original ORF files. This is probably not recommended but my images are not that precious anyway.

Ron

Re the settings: There is definitely something odd about OM2. The Noise filter level setting only works if you change to "Off" each time before changing the setting or it doesn't work. And I'm not fully convinced the sharpness changes every time yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back