• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm out of the Alpha club. (1 Viewer)

Congrats BC. The Celestron Granites are excellent. I used to have one, can't remember why I sold it. I'm off the A-list too, down to SE's and MHG. I think the birds don't mind;)

Sancho, if you have SE's, you're not suffering much, so I don't have too much sympathy for you there! ; ) Enjoy!

Whether you know it or not, BC, you are a lucky guy. You may be messed up, but so am I! Enjoy your special places that are yours alone, and know that you are lucky in that, at least! And your dogs!

I'm finding this getting older is not for sissies. :cat:

Bill

Congratulations BC, You are a free man. Go with your gut, your heart, and your love of nature. You are on the right path. Its your path... that is what matters.

I think of binoculars as a sort of 'transporter'... kind of like in Star Trek... You enter a world that you couldn't have otherwise. If they do that for you, it really doesn't matter what brand they are, or what they cost.

Just because you don't need the so-called 'alphas' to get you there, doesn't mean you shouldn't contribute here. It is really nice to have a variety of voices of reason. There are a few here. We could use a few more.

Enjoy!

Bill

Congrats BC. The Celestron Granites are excellent. I used to have one, can't remember why I sold it. I'm off the A-list too, down to SE's and MHG. I think the birds don't mind;)

You likely sold it for the same reasons I've sold some of mine that I wish I had back. The grass is always greener on the other side of the optic.

I'm finding this getting older is not for sissies. :cat:

Bill

Yea.... My father, WWII Marine Vet... 97 years old. He would emphatically agree with you. He's coming to dinner in about 15 minutes! (not driving the car, I might add...)

To skew this towards binoculars... He will no longer look through binoculars. He cannot maintain vertical stability while looking through them, nor can he see well enough to drive a car... Yes, getting older is not for sissies, so to speak.

Bill

That's the very reason I go out with binoculars every day I possibly can. I know my time is running out. My eyes and feet are going and it's just a matter of a year or two at the most, most likely. That's going to be a sad day for me.

Yea.... My father, WWII Marine Vet... 97 years old. He would emphatically agree with you. He's coming to dinner in about 15 minutes! (not driving the car, I might add...)

To skew this towards binoculars... He will no longer look through binoculars. He cannot maintain vertical stability while looking through them, nor can he see well enough to drive a car... Yes, getting older is not for sissies, so to speak.

Bill

For similar reasons, actor and brigadier general Jimmy Stewart had all the mirrors in his house taken out months before his passing. :cat:

Bill

I just did a count. I have 13 pair of binoculars. I don't think that qualifies for a club membership but rather for Binoculars Anonymous.B :)

I just did a count. I have 13 pair of binoculars. I don't think that qualifies for a club membership but rather for Binoculars Anonymous.B :)

I have 30 and the SE was the ONLY one I actively sought. Others came by way of taking them in trade for repair, restoration, and collimation work. Wanna buy a box of binos? :cat:

Bill

I never opted to join the A list, as whenever I tried them against my current binoculars, whilst there was an evident difference it was not £1000 worth of difference.
Or maybe I am tight?
H

I never opted to join the A list, as whenever I tried them against my current binoculars, whilst there was an evident difference it was not £1000 worth of difference.
Or maybe I am tight?
H

For 1/2 the cost of the "A-list" bino you can have 95% of its performance. I bought my "A-list" bino before the crowd came to accept it as an A-lister. Some people feel the need to fit into the A-list crowd. I choose to be thought of as a fellow with more discretion than money. I must work hard on the prior because I certainly fall short on the latter. :cat:

Bill

The Jaguar is a car to be worked on constantly lol. They are notorious for needing repair work.

That's another reason I dumped it. It had ~70K miles on it, and that's about the time the air-bag suspension starts to get flaky. Big time money to rebuild the suspension. It wasn't worth it to me to own the thing.

A beautiful, luxurious and powerful automobile ....... but alas not for me.

i'm 67 in a short while and i have found that 'omega club' cheap binos are helping my eyesight! just guessing, but it seems i adjust focus with centre wheel thing then the right eyepiece to gat a full 3D thing going. the right eye bit needs adjusting often as it varies with the focus. but after a few weeks of using them, my eye does the fine work and they sort of drop in to clarity without fiddling the fine tuning on the binos. probably against all sense but i also find now without the binos, my normal focus is improving at least across the garden a few metres. i dont know what you would call any of that in optical terms but at times i forget i do or dont have them up to my eye and have to actually realise, 'hold on that is good focus yet the bins are still in my lap'!

That's another reason I dumped it. It had ~70K miles on it, and that's about the time the air-bag suspension starts to get flaky. Big time money to rebuild the suspension. It wasn't worth it to me to own the thing.

A beautiful, luxurious and powerful automobile ....... but alas not for me.

We used to have a special name for that car out here on the West Coast but I probably shouldn't say what it is because it might offend someone's sense of decency. The first word is "Land" and the second word starts with a "P". Maybe some of you know it if you came from the wrong side of the tracks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back