• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyke Meet Late Winter 2011 (1 Viewer)

That's a toughie. Assuming you mean early Spring I would have no objections to a repeat of the Black Grouse trip but I'm biased as I used to live in the Dales.

Alternatively, a trip to the coast is appealing. A few divers and some dots that might be scoters. An obliging Med Gull wouldn't go amiss. And I certainly wouldn't object to Red-crested Pochard at Hornsea going on my life list although I could probably just bung it on on the basis of birds already seen (currently sitting alongside plastic Snow Geese and Red-breasted Goose).

Hardly a definitive response but I'm keen to go anywhere, any time as The Goodies would have it.

More suggestions needed.

Thinking about it I might have been a bit hasty saying Spring, maybe late Winter would have been better. Mid February time?

The Med gulls are doing the business at Holbeck Car Park, so a trip out to Filey with a side trip to Holbeck would be an idea.
I too fancy another pop at the black grouse if only for the slim possibility of a gosh in Yorkshire.

Just a thought but would somewhere like Hatfield Moor be worth a visit in Feb?

Thinking about it I might have been a bit hasty saying Spring, maybe late Winter would have been better. Mid February time?

The Med gulls are doing the business at Holbeck Car Park, so a trip out to Filey with a side trip to Holbeck would be an idea.
I too fancy another pop at the black grouse if only for the slim possibility of a gosh in Yorkshire.

Would have thought a proper sesh on several bits of Hatfield would be worth trying a bit later when snakes are active & some summer visitors have returned!

Your Yorkshire target are active at Wykham during February Keith, Could start there, then Holbeck and anything else in the Scarborough area, then Filey

Sandra.... Adam(Jaff) is talking about a NW meet.... I'm in for that so I'll see you there.
It's always going to be hard to get a meet that is ok for everyone as Yorkshire is such a big county.

I'm beginning to get a complex Keith - think there's a plan to keep me away.... "let's go as far east as we can and keep her out!!?? ............. Maybe we'll make the summer meet?

Sandra

It's nothing personal! On the whole in Winter the coast has more options & has more varied species to see! The wind tends to be a lot worse there too though!

I may be able to make Sunday 13th (if I'm welcome) - what is the usual plan for meeting up/car sharing?

I may be able to make Sunday 13th (if I'm welcome) - what is the usual plan for meeting up/car sharing?

Everybody is welcome. Usual plan is keep an eye on the thread and then it develops over the last 24-48 hours prior to meet when location, car shares can be sought. Try pm'ing those who live closest or en route about car shares etc then.

Everybody is welcome. Usual plan is keep an eye on the thread and then it develops over the last 24-48 hours prior to meet when location, car shares can be sought. Try pm'ing those who live closest or en route about car shares etc then.

thanks - I'm also happy to drive if another car is needed (although the heater isn't working at the moment - should have it fixed by then though)

I think I should be able to play. I'd be in favour of a 'new' trip after doing the Black Grouse 3 years in a row. Scarborough/Filey centred would be good. Bit of a seawatch early on followed by raptors up in the forest pm with gulls and forge valley en route?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back