• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binobooster (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit the 2x bino booster onto the Swarovision binoculars ...
I contacted Swarovski and they told me the thread is to small to fit the new SV''s. .
Does anyone know if there's a thread adaptor to allow me to use the booster on my SV''s. ...

Cheers Tim

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit the 2x bino booster onto the Swarovision binoculars ...
I contacted Swarovski and they told me the thread is to small to fit the new SV''s. .
Does anyone know if there's a thread adaptor to allow me to use the booster on my SV''s. ...

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim,

I've seen people who managed to use a separate eyecup as an adapter to fit both the booster as the new SV.

Jan.

The 2x booster for the old EL and SLC models can be used on any binocular, so long as you can find a way to hold it centered behind the eyepiece (and ideally, without scratching the eyepiece). I suppose others have modified a spare screw-in eyecup to attach to the converter to accomplish such use. I sometimes use mine just by holding it in place. To work, the booster doesn't have to fit over the ocular such that the ocular is up inside the end of the booster, even though that is how it fits the old EL and SLC.

--AP

I believe the Opticron 2x UTA will work with some of the ELs with the correct connector ring.

F/U - I just tried the Opticron 40951 2x Adapter with 40941 connector ring on the EL 8.5x42 and 10x42 with good results.

Last edited:
Jan, Proudpapa65,
Sorry this is still not too clear to me.
Do you mean a booster on each of the 2 eyepieces of a binocular?
If so have you had, or do you know of, collimation or eyestrain issues?
Any idea on which booster (say 2x) and adapter ring will fit a Nikon Monarch-5 12x42?
Thanks!
I would guess that, if there are no issues as above, a binocular of magnification m with two 2x boosters will show more detail than a mono scope of mag. 2xm, if there is no drastic drop in overall optical quality in the resultant setup.

Jan, Proudpapa65,
Sorry this is still not too clear to me.
Do you mean a booster on each of the 2 eyepieces of a binocular?
If so have you had, or do you know of, collimation or eyestrain issues?
Any idea on which booster (say 2x) and adapter ring will fit a Nikon Monarch-5 12x42?
Thanks!
I would guess that, if there are no issues as above, a binocular of magnification m with two 2x boosters will show more detail than a mono scope of mag. 2xm, if there is no drastic drop in overall optical quality in the resultant setup.

Hi Adhoc,

Normally one uses the doubler as a mono on the binocular, however Swasrovski made is possible to use two doublers. Once mounted you can keep turning it to the right side and hear some clicking. AFAIK these are diopter intervals for compensation. I always thought this was just a mechanism to prevent too fastened mounting on the bin but later on I learned on this BF otherwise;)

Just get yourself a extra spare eyecup, remove the rubber ring and connect (somehow) the doubler on the spare eyecup. The thread on that eyecup fits the bin. Problem solved.

Jan

Jan

adhoc, post 7,
Bushnell and Kite offer as far as I know boosters which can be used on any binocuar, since they do not have thread mounts, but fit over the eyepiece using an adapter ring of different size.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you Jan and Gijs.
I do need it on both eyepieces as I dislike monocular viewing, which normally means scopes.
Googling for "opticron 2x adapter" now brought a lot of info, in this forum and elsewhere. But it is a bit of an overload when looking through it for what I need!
Can someone please tell me of their experience with fixing 2 adapters on 1 binocular (making it effectively a higher-x binocular)? Thanks! Or maybe no-one does this for some reason/s I cannot see!
The adapter is much larger (and hence heavier) than I thought, and this also is a bit discouraging. It took some time to find a picture of adapter+binocular, nearly all show the adapter alone. B&H has a fine image of the new Opticron 2x adapter fixed to an Opticron DBA 8x42 (on one side only!)

It is much more sensible to get a 15x50 binocular, especially a Canon 15x50 IS, than to try to use two doublers on an 8x binocular.

However, if Swarovski boosters screw on, then they may be well enough positioned to keep alignment.

I had trouble trying to use a 2.5x booster on one side of the Canon 18x50 IS.
A small scope is better.

Thanks for your replies guys ....I contacted Swarovski ...It appears that the booster was designed for previous models but not the optical formula of the SV's....
Be nice of they did an updated version...I lost my ATS 65HD sailing this year ...So I need a cheap replacement

ticl2184, post 13,
I have asked a workshop a couple of years ago, to make an adapter ring that fits the Swarovski booster with a Swarovski binocular that could not be used with the original fitting of the booster. The ring wored fine, so I could use the booster on Swarovski binoculars that were not made for this booster.
Fitting two boosters on the Swarovski binoculars worked also fine, since the tread mount keeps the instrument pretty well aligned, so there were no collimation problems.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for the replies to my own inquiry, offbeat it seems, about two of these on one binocular. The idea is pretty much out after what I have learnt now.

Binastro said, "It is much more sensible to get a 15x50 binocular...than to try to use two doublers on an 8x binocular", but I was thinking of 10x to 20x or 12x to 24x, into the scope range. Actually I have a 15x50 on the way, an Alpen Teton, available right now at OpticsPlanet at an incredible $335.52, after some coinciding discounts.

I've just managed to buy a booster at £100..Should get in on Wednesday ....
If it works then its a cheaper solution to buying another scope...
I'll send some pics of the image when it arrives ...

I didn't buy the booster in the end....
Tested it thoroughly today with both my 8 and 10x SV''s. ...

You guys were right ....Fitting wasn't really a problem. ..In fact it fitted the thread of 8x32 SV....
The problem was the massively reduced fov and colour rendition ...
I would say the fov in both my 8 and 10x SV's was reduced by at least 70-75%.....
And in respect the colour rendition ...The bright, crisp white I'm used to, was transformed into a coffee brown overtone....

The product in my opinion is still good though ....However Swarovski was right...It simply can't do justice to the awesome quality of the Swarovision optics. ..

Cheers Tim

ticl2184, post 17,
Did you try a new booster or an older one? I ask it, since the color reproduction of the older one was certainly not up to the new standards, the new ones are nice color neutral.
Gijs van Ginkel

Not sure Gijs van Ginkel. ....
It was second hand but in excellent condition....

I believe Swarovski no longer produce a binobooster ...How do you tell the difference between a old or new one ?

Cheers Tim

ticl2184, post19,
The older booster influences the color reproduction, it shifts the image more to the red region of the spectrum, that may explain the brownish image impression you mentioned in one of your posts.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back