• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird and Grosbeak carvings (1 Viewer)

Hi Everyone!

Thought I would post a few of my recent carvings. Ruby Throated Hummingbird is named "Beija-Flor" and the name comes from Portuguese explorers landing in Brazill many moons ago and seeing these little critters. It means 'flower kisser' or 'to kiss a flower'. Carved from tupelo gum wood and painted with acrylics. Bird is removable as is the stem with flower/buds. Free standing as the leaves are the base.

The Rose Breasted Grosbeak is named "Breakfast at Jana's" (lady that is commissioning these pieces [24 of 'em] is named...you guessed it! Jana). But the piece suggests that the Ladybug will soon be the RBG's breakfast. Tupelo and acrylics. Wanted the base to be simple as there are certain size constraints for the curio these will all be displayed in and the Grosbeak is a good sized bird.

Both pieces are life size.

Attachments

• Breakfast at Janas 2 signed.jpg
    Breakfast at Janas 2 signed.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Breakfast at Janas front view smaller.jpg
    Breakfast at Janas front view smaller.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Beija Flor 2 smaller.jpg
    Beija Flor 2 smaller.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Fantastic, that hummer must have been tricky to do! The only thing I can carve is a chicken (of the roast variety, and not very well at that!) Great talent.

More terrific work, and you've been commissioned to do 24! I'm looking forward to the next 22.

Woody

I have loved looking at your work, Marc. It seems that you are going further and further with it always.
Will you be sharing the next 22? All different species? My goodness.

birdpotter said:
I have loved looking at your work, Marc. It seems that you are going further and further with it always.
Will you be sharing the next 22? All different species? My goodness.

Thanks birdpotter! Actually I've done a Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Goldfinch, Chickadee, Grosbeak and now the Hummingbird thus far. Am working on a Baltimore Oriole right now. But she sounds as if she's going back on her word now and telling me that she might be done. That has me a little upset as her comments have always been that she was so happy to find someone that kept my word on my pricing and commitment to this project and then now she's telling me she's done. So she loves how I am but doesn't follow it herself. I turned down a number of opportunities to take on this project and now it looks like I shouldn't have turned those down.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back