• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return of the Large Blue (1 Viewer)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
My wife told me they're back in Somerset. Does anyone have any more details, particularly on range?

Thanks

Richard D said:
My wife told me they're back in Somerset. Does anyone have any more details, particularly on range?

Thanks

Hello Richard,
I understand that Butterfly Conservation have several sites where they have introduced the European Large Blue, check with them as to which sites are open to the public.

I can't understand why it and the Large Copper are protected species anymore. Both indigenous races are long extinct.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Richard,
I understand that Butterfly Conservation have several sites where they have introduced the European Large Blue, check with them as to which sites are open to the public.

I can't understand why it and the Large Copper are protected species anymore. Both indigenous races are long extinct.

Harry

Thanks Harry. I didn't realise that the introduced Butterflies were considered a separate race from those that died out here in the 70's. Is there much genetic variation within Butterfly populations across Europe?

Richard

Richard D said:
Thanks Harry. I didn't realise that the introduced Butterflies were considered a separate race from those that died out here in the 70's. Is there much genetic variation within Butterfly populations across Europe?

Richard

Hello Richard,

Certainly in The Large Copper butterfly there was a sub specific difference, and probably a similar difference in the Large Blue's.

I am not aware of a large amount of work being published on the genetic differences between various sub species occurring in Europe. A couple of years ago I assisted a Ph.D student in obtaining specimens specimens of Large Heath Butterflies from various sites as part of a study into the DNA of several insect species from all over Europe. These were frozen instantly in liquid Nitrogen 'on site' and stored in a vertical Freezer upon her return to University. After travelling several thousand miles to obtain specimens and spending over a year on the project, someone left the freezer door open over a long weekend and all the specimens defrosted, thus spoiling most of them. I understand that some data was salvaged, but how much, I'm not sure.

Having a data bank of the DNA of a specific species from over a wide area would have been invaluable, especially if re-introductions were planned in future.

DNA testing is not cheap, at about £10 per specimen. When hundreds of specimens have to be examined of each species involved, the costs become very high indeed. I understand this project had the support of English Nature and other Conservation Organisations throughout Europe. Sadly all spoilt by someone's inattention.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back