• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birder's Diary Taxonomic Updates? (1 Viewer)

ptickner

I know that the switch from AviSys to Birder's Diary has come up quite a bit lately, but I've got a couple more questions for the BD users out there. In AviSys, I could update taxonomic lists as needed for free of charge. In looking at the BD website, it looks as if world taxonomic updates will run me $59. Is this right? I'd hate to think of paying that much every year to keep current. I'd like to hear how current BD users keep their world lists current. Also, their website says version 4.1 will be ready by Christmas, but it looks like only 4.0 is available. Anybody have 4.1?

BD is offering 20% off if purchased before the end of the year, so I am definitely considering it. I appreciate any input! Thanks.

Did you check out scythebill? Free program with free taxonomic updates (both Clements and IOC).

Niels (a recent convert, in my case from Birdbase)

I've now downloaded Scythebill, and have to say so far I'm pretty impressed. It will definitely take some time to get used to, bit I like it so far. I've been exploring the checklists, and unless I'm missing it, I don't seem to find a specific ABA region checklist. I think I could certainly make one by adding checklists together, but I would think it would have one. Anyway, I will keep playing with the program.

The person in charge of Scythebill has been really (impressively) acceptant of proposals for change since I started a few month ago, so even if such an area is not defined at the moment, ask for it.

Niels

In looking at the BD website, it looks as if world taxonomic updates will run me $59. Is this right? I'd hate to think of paying that much every year to keep current. I'd like to hear how current BD users keep their world lists current.

Yes, the taxonomic updates do cost depending on which list you go with (I am using Clements). I have not upgraded to the latest update yet (released this spring). Typically it is not too much of a priority for me. When the updated lists are first released BD offers a limited time discount code.

their website says version 4.1 will be ready by Christmas, but it looks like only 4.0 is available. Anybody have 4.1?
I am on the mailing list and have not seen an announcement for 4.1

Currently I am using ScytheBill, Bird Journal, and Birder's Diary. ScytheBill is free, Bird Journal has the slickest software with a modern GUI, and Birder's Diary is the most functionality but it's software is showing some age. I like bird journal of the 3 especially with it's app for Android/iOS. There is a unknown related to Bird Journal and how they are handling Taxonomic updates. Right now all 3 programs have a 100% match rate with species counts.

A way to get app functionality with Scythebill: use the ebird app in the field, upload the data when online, and download the trip from the ebird website when at home. Then import that into Scythebill. Disclaimer. I have not tried this, but each step is in place and the process should work.

Niels

Currently I am using ScytheBill, Bird Journal, and Birder's Diary. ScytheBill is free, Bird Journal has the slickest software with a modern GUI, and Birder's Diary is the most functionality but it's software is showing some age. I like bird journal of the 3 especially with it's app for Android/iOS. There is a unknown related to Bird Journal and how they are handling Taxonomic updates. Right now all 3 programs have a 100% match rate with species counts.

I'm a long time user of Bird Journal and agree its got the best GUI and with Version 5 it's getting even slicker. It's so easy to use that it makes data entry very quick. It's made even simpler if you use the mobile app which syncs automatically with the desktop software. I'm also impressed by wide range of non bird taxonomies available (from Amphibians to Woodlice! )making it equally useful and simple for general wildlife recording.

Cheers

David

I appreciate the input from everyone. Bird Journal definitely looks nice, but I was hoping to avoid an annual fee. I'm leaning more towards Scythebill as I use it a little more.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back