• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Factors influence which species of gull is Dominant in an area? (1 Viewer)

TWrecks

I have noticed that different gull species are dominant in different areas, and I was wondering what factors influence this. For example, in my town Lesser Black-back gulls are the most abundant, whilst, in the nearby cities, it is Herring Gulls, and, in my college-town, black-headed gulls are more abundant than other species.

I have asked this question in other forums and groups, but have never received any explanation for these differences in distribution, although many people have also noted the difference in which species is dominant in different locations.

Your help is very much appreciated! Thank you! :)

I've noticed Lesser Black-backed are very willing to eat smaller birds such as pigeons and Starling (I've seen both being devoured by a Lesser Black-backed) so in areas where easy prey are abundant, they dominate. Also, in places where easy food is available (e.g. fisherman filleting fish and throwing the waste to the gulls), Lesser Black-backed Gulls are bigger and stronger so they can fight off smaller gulls. These are just my theories and they are not backed up by concrete evidence. Why Herring Gull and Black-headed Gull can dominate, I don't know.

Hope this helps,
Louis

Around here (southeast Northumbs), Herring and LBB coexist, but Herring are dominant and more numerous; they also start nesting earlier, so get the best (safest) breeding sites.

BHG need wetlands to breed in; apart from non-breeding immatures, they don't travel far from their breeding colonies, so a suitable wetland nearby is probably a good indicator for BHG being dominant in the summer. Different in winter of course, then they get everywhere.

It'll be interesting to see how Med Gulls fit into the mix, as/when they get more numerous. And up in Scotland, there's Common Gulls too.

Newcastle also has its own special situation - the most numerous breeding gull is actually Kittiwake. Where else in the whole world, can you see Kittiwakes nesting on lamp posts?? AFAIK, this is completely unique o:D

Attachments

• IMG_2245lo.jpg
    IMG_2245lo.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1902lo.jpg
    IMG_1902lo.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 18
In inland areas outside the breeding season most areas will get a range of our resident species. Away from the coast then it tends to be LBB’s that have found a niche for inland breeding with Herring (and LBB’s) occupying coastal sand dunes etc often near Gull and Terneries. BHG’s are Marsh Gulls really but the UK being a relatively thin, long, country they can be found in both areas although inland colonies have become abandoned in a lot of former haunts as bird have moved to breed on nature reserves, gravel pits etc.

This is certainly the situation in the West Midlands:t:

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back