• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the Noctivid about? (2 Viewers)

The Noctivid is bright and the design is stylish. A good quality safe choice. If someone wants to have their socks knocked off after using an older Leica, they should try looking through a Zeiss SF.

Edmund[/QUOTE

The zeiss SF is to much plastic....

So true. The SF is too plastic, and too much plastic. The Leica wins easily when judged on looks, materials and above all, size. Is there any other way to judge a binocular?

Edmund

So true. The SF is too plastic, and too much plastic. The Leica wins easily when judged on looks, materials and above all, size. Is there any other way to judge a binocular?

Edmund

Ha! Well, you're joking, of course, but on looks, materials, perceived quality of construction and size, I would place the big three alphas in the following order; 1. Leica 2. Swarovski 3. Zeiss. They're all great though, and none of the aforementioned aspects would come before the view (although size might if the differences in the perceived quality of the view were marginal).

Ha! Well, you're joking, of course, but on looks, materials, perceived quality of construction and size, I would place the big three alphas in the following order; 1. Leica 2. Swarovski 3. Zeiss. They're all great though, and none of the aforementioned aspects would come before the view (although size might if the differences in the perceived quality of the view were marginal).

If you happen to be "poorer" and just want a view and a price, then general opinion on this forum is that Porro binoculars eg Habicht or Nikon provide high quality alpha views at a reasonable beta price, with some added 3D thrown in for free. In all my reading on this forum I haven't seen anyone say a bad thing about the resolution of the Habichts.

And if you take this reasoning further you might conclude that alpha binocular buyers are in fact selecting their roof model for the beauty and convenience of the casing, maybe the eyecups and focuser more rarely the eye relief, and these design aspects arethe aspect many of us feel Leica is presently getting done best when compared with the various other alpha roof makers.

So I agree with you.

Another contemporary glass where this design effect can be seen is the Ultravid 8x20 which is an aging design that still holds its own against two optically strong pocket products from Zeiss and Swarovski. I also suspect that the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD+ is decisively outclassed optically by the Swaro EL 8x32, even though the Leica special editions certainly attract more glances than the khaki Swaro.

Leica's smart use of design for business advantage should be -probably is- a business case study; it's quite surprising the competition don't hire some better designers for their alpha roofs: this type of buy has effectively become a "luxury" product range. Everybody agrees that most Ferraris, Jaguars, Porsches and probably even Mercedes are bought for their looks standing at the curb.

Edmund

Last edited:
Too bad, If Nikon would make a SE 8X40/10X50 water proof with adjustable eyecups, I would be all in. However based on market trends today, they would not sell well.

Andy W.

Well, you do need to be corrected. I do know you are not ranking on overall optics or quality.

Leica's leak, so they do not belong on top, perceived lack of quality is evident.

Size may be important in some ways, bigger is better, and the Zeiss SF wins
this vote. ;) I have tried them all.

Jerry

I am puzzled by the suggestion that SFs have an excess of plastic. Certainly the eyecups and focus wheel use this material but that is commonplace.

In addition, while there is no question that Leica's Nvid is optically very nice and good looking too, it does lack integrity IMHO. By this I mean that if I slip three fingers of my right hand around the barrel just below the hinge, I cannot reach the focus wheel with my first finger. I have to move my hand closer to the eyecups but by the time I have reached a position where my first finger can reach the focus wheel, I no longer have an open-hinge grip on the bino so for me Nvid's open-hinge design is a only styling exercise. Our good friend Gijs van Ginkel has mentioned this too.

This of course does not make Nvid a bad bino, but I expect greater integrity from Leica than this and it makes me feel disappointed in the brand.

Lee

I am puzzled by the suggestion that SFs have an excess of plastic. Certainly the eyecups and focus wheel use this material but that is commonplace.

In addition, while there is no question that Leica's Nvid is optically very nice and good looking too, it does lack integrity IMHO. By this I mean that if I slip three fingers of my right hand around the barrel just below the hinge, I cannot reach the focus wheel with my first finger. I have to move my hand closer to the eyecups but by the time I have reached a position where my first finger can reach the focus wheel, I no longer have an open-hinge grip on the bino so for me Nvid's open-hinge design is a only styling exercise. Our good friend Gijs van Ginkel has mentioned this too.

This of course does not make Nvid a bad bino, but I expect greater integrity from Leica than this and it makes me feel disappointed in the brand.

Lee

Hi Lee. I understand what you're saying, but I think it just ask depends on how one holds a binocular. If having three fingers of your right hand around the RH barrel is a prerequisite for you in an open bridge design then the NV isn't going to satisfy you, but there are so many various ways of holding an open bridge bin that to suggest that Leica lacks integrity because of the design of the NV is something I can't agree with, especially when so many people find them comfortable. There are things about Leica that one could say lacked integrity and lead to a disappointment in the brand (as we have discussed privately ;)), but the open bridge on the NV isn't one of them IMHO.

Hi Lee. I understand what you're saying, but I think it just ask depends on how one holds a binocular. If having three fingers of your right hand around the RH barrel is a prerequisite for you in an open bridge design then the NV isn't going to satisfy you, but there are so many various ways of holding an open bridge bin that to suggest that Leica lacks integrity because of the design of the NV is something I can't agree with, especially when so many people find them comfortable. There are things about Leica that one could say lacked integrity and lead to a disappointment in the brand (as we have discussed privately ;)), but the open bridge on the NV isn't one of them IMHO.

Hi Mike
Yes, there are many ways to hold binoculars and we all do it in the way we feel comfortable, but my assertion wasn't based on comfort. Maybe I am mistaken or too literal-minded (Troubadoris agrees with this :-O) but my idea of the open-hinge concept is that the centre of the hinge is absent so that there is room for your fingers. If my fingers can't use this facility because the focus wheel is out of reach, it seems to me that the open-hinge might as well not be there.

Lee

Last edited:
Hi Mike
Yes, there are many ways to hold binoculars and we all do it in the way we feel comfortable, but my assertion wasn't based on comfort. Maybe I am mistaken or too literal-minded (Troubadoris agrees with this :-O) but my idea of the open-hinge concept is that the centre of the hinge is absent so that there is room for your fingers. If my fingers can't use this facility because the focus wheel is out of reach, it seems to me that the open-hinge might as well not be there.
I agree Noctivid can be held comfortably and is a lovely bino, but it does seem a bit of a fraud to me.

Lee

Yes, I do understand what you mean, Lee. I think it's just an issue though of you (understandably if it's not comfortable) not wanting to have your second finger on the top hinge and you third and fourth fingers around the barrel, rather than being able to have three fingers around the barrel, or..........?

Perhaps Trouadoris can help you find a comfortable grip, and then tell you to get over it! 8-P B :)

(OK, you said it can be held comfortably!)

Yes, I do understand what you mean, Lee. I think it's just an issue though of you (understandably if it's not comfortable) not wanting to have your second finger on the top hinge and you third and fourth fingers around the barrel, rather than being able to have three fingers around the barrel, or..........?

Perhaps Trouadoris can help you find a comfortable grip, and then tell you to get over it! 8-P B :)

(OK, you said it can be held comfortably!)

or......? Or its to do with the fact that I feel a three-finger grip is secure and I can lift a bino with three fingers. Having only 2 fingers around the barrel doesn't feel like a grip at all.

You have been very diplomatic, while disagreeing, for which I thank you and I will now withdraw.

Lee

or......? Or its to do with the fact that I feel a three-finger grip is secure and I can lift a bino with three fingers. Having only 2 fingers around the barrel doesn't feel like a grip at all.

You have been very diplomatic, while disagreeing, for which I thank you and I will now withdraw.

Lee

Yes, I do see what you mean, even if I don't agree with the sentiment. Isn't diplomatic both of our middle names? ;)

Best wishes to you and Troubadoris. Now, where's my NV, and how am I going to get a good grip on it.......:-O

I compare against the 8x32 and 12x50 SV all the time. The Noctivid's 3d view is immediately noticeable, and relative to the SLC's I tried, it has much more usable edges. The color rendition is redder, of course, but that seems to help me "experience" more light transmission as apparently my eyes see more deep reds than most.

And of course the ER and ease of view.

Lee

I've thought about the grip issue, as I've got the SF as well. The difference is as Lee stated: One goes from a 3 fingered grip with the SF (plus one on the focus wheel), while the Noctivid invites a 2 fingered grip (plus 2 on the focuser).

Slide up one more finger and your done.. The 2, or 3 finger grip on the barrel is not what's holding up the binocular, its primarily the thumb, plus another entire hand....

Bottom line is they both work fine, regardless of one's preferences.

Hi Mike
I agree Noctivid can be held comfortably and is a lovely bino, but it does seem a bit of a fraud to me.

Lee

Lee:

You have summed things up well. I have more than 10 years experience with the Swarovski EL models, and I really like the open frame design, and now several years with the Zeiss SF.

Zeiss made things even better with the ergos of the Victory SF. The larger frame and positioning of the focuser is just very nice, and an improvement over the Swarovski EL.

I have handled the Leica Noctovid, and it comes up short on ergos, when trying to make an open frame model, it comes in behind the Swaro. and the Zeiss SF. The optics are important, but ergos are also very important when you are making a purchase at this level.

So that is how I see it.

Jerry

I had the openbridge in two EL's the last 13 years and I never liked the thumbholes. Only in a most static position they fall in the right place with my thumbs. While actually using the binoculars, those recesses come to me as disturbing. I actually went for an Ultravid when I bought my first EL;. The rubber Ultravid has thumbstuds as well. Neither liked those and perhaps they are even worse than the recesses in the EL's.
The waste by ergonomics is absent in the Noctivid but the subtle ridge on top of both barrels, nicely prevents the grip from being boring.
Pink and Ring are only holding the barrel; Middle takes both hinge and barrel and Index is for the wheel.

Thumbs are up for the Noctivid!

FWIW the focus mechanism on my NV is perfectly smooth and feels exactly the same in both directions. I have a friend with an EDG and the mechanism on the NV is every bit as good. I have tried two other NV’s and they were both as good. As always, there can be bad samples from all manufacturers.

Mike, I agree with you on this. Actually, reading through some of this thread just now (it's a long one...) I was thinking how unbeatable the EDG focuser was, but then I realized that the 8x32 EL FP I've been using while stuck in a nice place during lockdown has also got a great focus action - by which I mean it's never got my attention at all in use; it just happens unnoticed. And I get the feeling that's not something that people have always thought about Sw focusers.

I miss my Leica 'Kodachrome' colours though.

All the best,

Tom

... I was thinking how unbeatable the EDG focuser was, but then I realized that the 8x32 EL FP I've been using while stuck in a nice place during lockdown has also got a great focus action - by which I mean it's never got my attention at all in use; it just happens unnoticed. And I get the feeling that's not something that people have always thought about Sw focusers.
Which people? I've been 100% satisfied (as in never think twice about it, as you say) with the focuser on every high-quality bino I've bought or even tried in the last 20 years: Leica BN, Trinovid BR, and UV, as well as Swaro EL (various generations) and recent SLC, and Zeiss SF. (Lesser models, absolutely not.) The occasional lemons must just be overrepresented due to (understandable) online complaints.

Which people? I've been 100% satisfied (as in never think twice about it, as you say) with the focuser on every high-quality bino I've bought or even tried in the last 20 years: Leica BN, Trinovid BR, and UV, as well as Swaro EL (various generations) and recent SLC, and Zeiss SF. (Lesser models, absolutely not.) The occasional lemons must just be overrepresented due to (understandable) online complaints.

Your experience seems to be good, but you need to get out more.

Focuser problems are common in the high end, I have experienced several over the years, and they have all been with Swarovski.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back