• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clark's Grebe (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Is this a Clark's Grebe? The first photo looks good to me, with a lot of white on the flank and a bit of white in front of the eye. But the second photo, of the same bird, taken just a second earlier, seems to show the eye in the dark mask. It might be light I suppose.

Taken at Point Reyes, California about ten days ago. No doubt they are easier to separate in the summer.

Attachments

• 20200202-IMG_3310.jpg
    20200202-IMG_3310.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200202-IMG_3309.jpg
    20200202-IMG_3309.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 76
OK then. But the picture of non breeding Western Grebe in my Sibley field guide must be somewhat inaccurate as the bill on this bird is a lot yellower than that, and there is a lot more white on the flank. But I agree the facial pattern is a better match.

I reckon I must have seen 50 Western Grebes in California and not one Clark's.

If I may add according to Sibley....intermediate birds seen during the Winter, are un-identifiable and that some might be hybrids. :eek!:

Cheers

If I may add according to Sibley....intermediate birds seen during the Winter, are un-identifiable and that some might be hybrids. :eek!:

Cheers
Aye, interesting that comment in Sibley - do hybrids only exist in winter? What happens to them in the summer? :-O

More seriously, has there been any genetic studies to prove they're different species, rather than just colour / plumage pattern morphs?

Aye, interesting that comment in Sibley - do hybrids only exist in winter? What happens to them in the summer? :-O

More seriously, has there been any genetic studies to prove they're different species, rather than just colour / plumage pattern morphs?

Had crossed my mind Nutty, might be a case of getting “yer” sequential mtdnas out? :t:

More grebes, this time from Banks Lake, Grand Coulee, Washington State, last month. Again I can only see Western.

Attachments

• grebe-2.jpg
    grebe-2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 11
  • grebe-3.jpg
    grebe-3.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 12
  • grebe-4.jpg
    grebe-4.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 11
  • grebe.jpg
    grebe.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 11
I agree that all of the birds in this thread are Western Grebes. Not sure about other times and places, but Western are much more common than Clark's on the ocean in winter in California.

If it's any consolation, I saw about 100 Western Grebes on Clear Lake CA a few years ago, and couldn't find a single Clark's :-C
I think you must have been quite unlucky; there are may ebird records of Clark's Grebe at Clear Lake, at all times of year.

The second picture bird is definitely not a Clark's Grebe , it's a Western Grebe.

The Western has black patch even below his eye. While the Clark's Grebe has white patch around his eye area.

Same thing with Lesser and Greater Sand Plover. I've seen hundreds. Across four countries. All Lesser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back