• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of South Africa #2 (1 Viewer)

xyz99

United States
A new set of birds I need help with ID - these are from West Coast NP area. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 68
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 54
My best guesses:
1,4. Rock and/or Lesser Kestrels?
2. female Yellow Bishop?
3. Spotted Thick-knee
5. male Yellow Bishop

1 umm, looks like juv. Dickinson's Kestrel, but can't be on location so I'd say because of the dark head, Rock Kestrel.
2 Looks fine for Yellow Bishop
3 Agree with avesjohn, Spotted Thick-Knee
4 Rock Kestrel
5 Agreed, male Yellow Bishop

I assume this is also a Rock Kestrel - from the Hermanus area. I read that the Rock K. is a subspecies of the Common K, how can you tell the difference?

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 43
I assume this is also a Rock Kestrel - from the Hermanus area. I read that the Rock K. is a subspecies of the Common K, how can you tell the difference?
Can't help with the ID, but on taxonomy - it used to be a subspecies of the Common Kestrel, but has been split now as Falco rupicolus (see e.g. IOC list). However, post-split, Common Kestrel doesn't occur in S Africa.

Can't help with the ID, but on taxonomy - it used to be a subspecies of the Common Kestrel, but has been split now as Falco rupicolus (see e.g. IOC list). However, post-split, Common Kestrel doesn't occur in S Africa.

Also by Clements. It is also called South African Kestrel by some authorities/people, but Clements now call it Rock. SASÖL 4 calls it Rock Kestrel

PS the new photo is also a Rock Kestrel. Lesser starts arriving in October and the last leave in April spending May to September in the Northern Hemisphere.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back