• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Davis and Sanford Magnum (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Hi all,

following on from my post that included the Audubon The Birder tripod, I decide that I didn't want to pay the shipping costs from the US to try out an unseen tripod. But I have since picked up this Magnum from the auction site.

It appears to be more or less the same tripod. Perhaps an older version. There is an old thread on here that says that the The Birder tripod is made by Davis and Sanford.

It's a really nice tripod. Ok, it's not going to win travel tripod of the year awards but it's nowhere near as heavy as it looks and in a normal days birding the size isn't a problem. According to my luggage scales it's a little over three pounds (a pound lighter than the Birder).

The wide leg sections and only having 2 sections on each leg make it very stable. And I like the extra long foam that covers the whole of the upper sections. It means you can slide the tripod over your shoulder and vary the load on your shoulder.

And since I have swapped the head to my Manfrotto 128RCnat it's great for a scope.

I plan to buy a Manfrotto MVH500AH to improve the pannign and lighten the load by about 100g.

Happy birding!

The D&S s on the right, on the left a Manfrotto aluminium 190 Tracker (I think that's what it's called, it's ancient and has no name on it).

Attachments

• IMG_20190831_123028761_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190831_123028761_HDR.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Some more photos

IMG_20190831_123019771_HDR.jpg
Manfrotto legs slightly wider apart but look at the difference in tube thickness

IMG_20190831_123028761_HDR.jpg
Both set to the same height

IMG_20190831_123035922.jpg
The D&S head which is not really suitable for a scope

IMG_20190831_123109892_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190831_123124802_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back