• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumn mothing (1 Viewer)

Many congrats - yours jealously.

Two records from my patch this autumn from a moth-trapper unknown to me. (I hope he now has my telephone number from a third party!) I'm still waiting.......

Autumnal moths in short supply for me - a few Centre-barred Sallow and two Barred Sallow, a few Large Wainscots, a couple of Beaded Chestnuts and more Lunar Underwings but still many gaps for the usual species. Still odd fresh late brooders appear like a Shuttle-shaped Dart this morning.

All the best

Many congrats - yours jealously.

Two records from my patch this autumn from a moth-trapper unknown to me. (I hope he now has my telephone number from a third party!) I'm still waiting.......

Autumnal moths in short supply for me - a few Centre-barred Sallow and two Barred Sallow, a few Large Wainscots, a couple of Beaded Chestnuts and more Lunar Underwings but still many gaps for the usual species. Still odd fresh late brooders appear like a Shuttle-shaped Dart this morning.

All the best

It's finished here in Russia, cold, wet and windy and all I've had for 2 weeks is Caddisflies.

Pretty cold + clear night here in the outskirts of London. One of the four traps in the meadow had some frost on the outside. " Hornets (1 deceased), several Tipula craneflies + 19 moths of 7 species with Satellite + Brindled Green the best.

Pretty cold + clear night here in the outskirts of London. One of the four traps in the meadow had some frost on the outside. " Hornets (1 deceased), several Tipula craneflies + 19 moths of 7 species with Satellite + Brindled Green the best.

Wind is the determing factor here Aeshna, as you probably know, you don't get much if it's windy, add rain and low temp (10c day time max today) to that and it's not the best.

We're sat at 30.31413. longitude up here, what are you at?

Last edited:
Wind is the determing factor here Aeshna, as you probably know, you don't get much if it's windy, add rain and low temp (10c day time max today) to that and it's not the best.

We're sat at 30.31413. longitude up here, what are you at?

Not sure about longitude but outer London. No wind or rain yesterday night, though former now picking up. In a small private nature reserve with oak woodland _ one of the traps in the meadow.

With the change to the new moon, the autumn moths are now appearing. I am getting increased numbers of Beaded Chestnut and now Feathered Thorn, Black Rustic and Pink-barred Sallow have appeared. But I have still not recorded Green-brindled Crescent, Merveille du Jour or even Sallow.

Occasional second (or even third) brood moths have appeared with Spectacle, Angle Shades, Shuttle-shaped Dart, etc.

A few pics attached - Plutella porrectella, Feathered Ranunculus, Large Ranunculus, Pink-barred Sallow and Black Rustic attached.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Plutella porrectella 003 (reduced).jpg
    Plutella porrectella 003 (reduced).jpg
    513 KB · Views: 29
  • Feathered Ranunculus 002 (reduced).jpg
    Feathered Ranunculus 002 (reduced).jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Large Ranunculus (reduced).jpg
    Large Ranunculus (reduced).jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Pink-barred Sallow 002 (reduced).jpg
    Pink-barred Sallow 002 (reduced).jpg
    779 KB · Views: 11
  • Black Rustic 002 (reduced).jpg
    Black Rustic 002 (reduced).jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 18
Hi Paul,
in relation to your first shot, have you got a small pocket camera?

If you have, in the macro setting, select the icon with the Ladybird, known I think as 'stacking mode'. This will take a dozen, rapid fire shots at different focal lengths and stitch them together so that the final result will be that the whole moth is sharp, clever stuff.

Both Ranunculus species would be new for me.

Last edited:
A few from the last few nights, interestingly....Black Rustic and Barred Sallow I believe favour calcareous soils...and mines clay! Merveille du jour (I think my earliest) definitely in my top ten.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1800073.jpeg   BR 1..jpeg
    P1800073.jpeg BR 1..jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 19
  • P1800091.jpeg  Barred Sallow 3..jpg
    P1800091.jpeg Barred Sallow 3..jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 14
  • P1800089.jpeg  Barred Sallow 2..jpeg
    P1800089.jpeg Barred Sallow 2..jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P1790315.jpeg    Def.Purp..jpeg
    P1790315.jpeg Def.Purp..jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P1800153.jpeg   MDJ 3..jpeg
    P1800153.jpeg MDJ 3..jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 29
Very nice pics Ken.

Now Red-green Carpet, Blair's Shoulderknot, Chestnut, Green-brindled Crescent, Merveille du Jour, Chestnut, Red-line Quaker, etc this week so the colder weather appears to have finally triggered many autumn species.

(Still Clifden Nonpareils occurring locally but avoiding me.)

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Merveille du Jour 001.jpg
    Merveille du Jour 001.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Green-brindled Crescent 003.jpg
    Green-brindled Crescent 003.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Blair's Shoulderknot 001.jpg
    Blair's Shoulderknot 001.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Red-line Quaker 001.jpg
    Red-line Quaker 001.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Large Wainscot 001.jpg
    Large Wainscot 001.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 16
Very nice pics Ken.

Now Red-green Carpet, Blair's Shoulderknot, Chestnut, Green-brindled Crescent, Merveille du Jour, Chestnut, Red-line Quaker, etc this week so the colder weather appears to have finally triggered many autumn species.

(Still Clifden Nonpareils occurring locally but avoiding me.)

All the best

Paul

Must say Paul....the Green-brindled Crescent does look a "bit good".

As an aside, last night was the first night that I've trapped....and found a fat zero in the pot!...anybody else had that experience?

Cheers

Still hoping for a biggie.... A few pics from the week - Sallow, Red-green Carpet & Rusty-dot Pearl.

A few odd things like emergences of Common Marbled Carpet, Swallowtail & Shuttle-shaped Darts. Also a Ringlet in the trap this week.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Sallow 001.jpg
    Sallow 001.jpg
    769.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Red-green Carpet 001.jpg
    Red-green Carpet 001.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Rusty-dot Pearl 001.jpg
    Rusty-dot Pearl 001.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 16
After an attempt with fingers & toes to catch up with numbers on various lists - Common Forest Looper from Cornwall (first attached pic) was my 809th British & Irish macro species & White-point (second pic attached) from a friend's garden was my 452nd patch macro species.

Also from the patch a few migrants being Delicate, Diamond-back & Scarce Bordered Straw.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Common Forest Looper 001 (2).jpg
    Common Forest Looper 001 (2).jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 19
  • White-point 001 (2).jpg
    White-point 001 (2).jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Delicate 001 (2).jpg
    Delicate 001 (2).jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Diamond-back 001 (2).jpg
    Diamond-back 001 (2).jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Scarce Bordered Straw 001 (2).jpg
    Scarce Bordered Straw 001 (2).jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 14
No fancy moths here, but my fourth different patterned Yellow-line Quaker of the week. And a fantastic Autumn Mothing!

robhope

UK Leps 512 (Yellow-line Quaker)
UK Other Insects 100 (Western Conifer Seed Bug)
UK Plants 457 (Goldenrod)
UK Birds 237

Attachments

• ylq.JPG
    ylq.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 20
No pic till I've had time to process, but caught my first garden Merveille du Jour last night and was well chuffed. I don't often get round to running the trap in autumn twitching season, but various people mentioning their catches encouraged me. Only four moths in the trap: the aforementioned, a Large Yellow Underwing, a Turnip and a Shuttle-shaped Dart.

John

Edit: here's the beastie. Cracking moth and for once I went to work with a smile.

Attachments

• 20181022 (3)_Merveille_du_Jour.JPG
    20181022 (3)_Merveille_du_Jour.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Lots of gripping photos on here, lads. I've only just got round to seeing them after the usual intense 24/7 Scilly Season. I've a few interesting sightings to report from St Agnes and a few dodgy pics but I'll get round to it sometime soon when the clocks go back.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back