• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (1 Viewer)

Hi Andy,
It means that those that have a standing order with Lynx will have their credit card debited with the the cost of the volume. There is a 20% discount applied to the cost until publication date, the cost is 125Euros not 160Euros as it will be after publication. Postage is free. Orders can be made directly through Lynx website by anyone who wants to do so.

Last edited:
The plates look great however, with so many small rodents and bats, only safely identified through an in hand examination of dentition, I''d have thought that this should have been included too.

As a ''handbook', I can''t help thinking it's a little incomplete without, I assume that such information is available somewhere for most species? I''ve watched at least one nature programme where an expert seemed to be checking some kind of table as she tried to identify a bat in the hand.

Last edited:
They have included the Greater New Zealand Short tailed bat, noting that it has not been seen since the 1960s, so perhaps the extinct Christmas Island bat may be included

Sample plates and photos are now on the Lynx website for HMW9

Thanks! Another great volume, and despite the multiple authorship of the plates, there seems to be a very high standard throughout.

I'm already curious to learn more about those white bats.

Thanks! Another great volume, and despite the multiple authorship of the plates, there seems to be a very high standard throughout.

I'm already curious to learn more about those white bats.

I saw this tiny species of tent making Bat, in Costa Rica, Honduran White Bat Ectophylla alba. You can see in this image, where the Bats have nibbled the centre of the leave to effect the fold which makes their 'tent'.

Apparently, if monkeys find them, they just dash in and clap the leaves together to kill then eat the bats.

Attachments

• 20170414104853088.jpg
    20170414104853088.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I saw this tiny species of tent making Bat, in Costa Rica, Honduran White Bat Ectophylla alba. You can see in this image, where the Bats have nibbled the centre of the leave to effect the fold which maked thir 'tent'.

Apparently, if monkeys find them, they just dash in and clap the leaves together to kill then eat the bats.

Remarkable. . ..

I am really looking forward to HMW9. Chiropterology and bat photography are very amazing and thrilling things. By the way one of the great scientists of the Neotropical chiropterology, Robert James Baker, died last year. But among the authors of the HMW9 volume there are some other great chiropterologists, like Ara Monadjem, Steven M. Goodman, or Manuel Ruedi.

Last edited:
I am curious if they will include the extinct Chrstmas Island pipistrelle.

I was lucky enough to see the last five Christmas Island Pipistrelles in January 2009 - just happened to be staying in the same place as a couple of bat workers who were investigating bringing them in to captivity & they took us out one night & we saw them all emerge from their roost & go off foraging.

And in one of those weird coincidences, I used to work for Brian Bell, who was one of the last people to see Greater Short-tailed Bat on Big South Cape in the '60s

I was lucky enough to see the last five Christmas Island Pipistrelles in January 2009 - just happened to be staying in the same place as a couple of bat workers who were investigating bringing them in to captivity & they took us out one night & we saw them all emerge from their roost & go off foraging.

And in one of those weird coincidences, I used to work for Brian Bell, who was one of the last people to see Greater Short-tailed Bat on Big South Cape in the '60s

Why did they become extinct Dave?

Last edited:
Why id they become extinct Dave?

John Woinarski published a book last year titled A Bat's End where he is trying to answer this question. There are several reasons for the extinction of the pipistrelle. One might be the very aggressive Crazy Yellow Ant which is the largest danger for the fauna of Chrstmas Island. These ants were responsible for the extinction of the Christmas Island shrew (by the way included in HMW 8) and for the demise of the Christmas Island red crab.

Last edited:
John Woinarski published a book last year titled A Bat's End where he is trying to answer this question. There are several reasons for the extinction of the pipistrelle. One might be the very aggressive Crazy Yellow Ant which is the largest danger for the fauna of Chrstmas Island. These ants were responsible for the extinction of the Christmas Island shrew (by the way included in HMW 8) and for the demise of the Christmas Island red crab.

So a natural event?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back