• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 8x30W and Italian supercars (my take on the Habicht) (1 Viewer)

Good useful information on the Habicht's. I have never heard of objective covers. Your quite the resource when it comes to binocular history. Comparing the Habicht 10x40 W to the Nikon 8x30 EII you can see the Habicht is a notch above it in brightness and resolution. I would recommend everybody have an EII because it is unusual in that it has probably the biggest FOV of any binocular around and in the under $500 price point it is easily the best value and the newer EII is much brighter and more color neutral than the older ones but the Habicht just has that sparkle that sets it apart from most other binoculars with it's awesome transmission. The Habicht 10x40 W is very glare resistant also. Tonite, I was viewing just below the sunset and I saw no glare and I believe I would have seen some glare in my 8x32 SV in that scenario. I like the 10x40 W so much I am going to try the 8x30 W again and I might try some of these glare reduction ideas on it since I know it is more prone to glare than the 10x40 W.. Thanks, for the objective diameter sizes. Your measurements have been right on.

Last edited:
The Habicht 10x40 W is very glare resistant also. Tonite, I was viewing just below the sunset and I saw no glare and I believe I would have seen some glare in my 8x32 SV in that scenario. I like the 10x40 W so much I am going to try the 8x30 W again and I might try some of these glare reduction ideas on it since I know it is more prone to glare than the 10x40 W..

Stay away from the 8x30 if you don't like glare. No matter what you do, the 8x30 will never be good enough for you.

Hermann

Stay away from the 8x30 if you don't like glare. No matter what you do, the 8x30 will never be good enough for you.

Hermann
Thanks, Herman. You were correct about the Habicht 10x40 W not having the glare the 8x30 W does. You don't think a lens hood would help the 8x30 W? I think I can tolerate the glare for the stunning on-axis view. I already have the "Glare Monster" SV 8x32 and I manage to put up with it.

Last edited:
Dennis

I only use either:
- a rainguard, or occasionally;
- a Crooked Horn Bino Shield

In essence the Bino Shield is an elastic edged shower cap with an attached adjustable elastic strap (see the first two images)

Interestingly, the advertising fails to mention one of it’s main features!
As it hugs the binocular to the torso, it can be adjusted so that the torso comfortably supports perhaps 2/3 of the weight of the binocular
(my preference is to wear it higher than is shown in the first photograph, which may be a consideration in supporting the weight)
So especially with heavier binos, you can either use:
- a lighter neck strap then otherwise, or;
- a neck strap instead of a harness
either of which seems to be a big advantage

It’s much quicker and easier than dealing with both a rainguard and objective caps, and once removed you don’t have the guard or caps dangling from the binocular.

John

John this is helpful and interesting. Based on your familiarity with the product would you order a small or medium Bino Shield for the E II 8x30? As you probably know, the E II is slightly larger than most other 6 or 8X30. it is 6 & 1/2" wide and 5"tall so the small may be too small and the medium so oversized as to be overly fiddly. Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

Dennis-

Did you get the Nikons? Any early thoughts?
The Nikon 8x30 EII's are in a class by themselves for their big FOV. There is nothing that has as big of a FOV so I think everybody should have a pair for that reason and they are excellent optically especially the latest ones with the improved coatings. They have less red bias and are brighter although still not as bright as the Habicht. That being said the Habicht's are on another level. They are brighter, sharper on-axis and have better contrast than the EII's. The Habicht 10x40 W also has very little glare and I think I like it better optically than my 10x32 SV. Regardless of what anybody says about the Habicht's take my word for it there is NOTHING that will give you a better view especially on-axis. I like the 10x40 W so much I bought an 8x30 W and I am going to tolerate the glare for the view. I will let you know how I like them when they get here. I got the new Habicht's 8x30 W. They are sensational optically. Screw the glare!

Last edited:
Hello,
I would like to ask you if really this new eyepiece (eye cups, better said) helps in the comfort of the small 8x30W binocular.
On the other hand, in your opinion, the exit of pupil of 3.75mm consider it adequate in comparison with the typical 4mm (of the 8x32) or the 5.25mm (of the 8x42 model)?
Thank you.
regards
Wachi

Hello,
I would like to ask you if really this new eyepiece (eye cups, better said) helps in the comfort of the small 8x30W binocular.
On the other hand, in your opinion, the exit of pupil of 3.75mm consider it adequate in comparison with the typical 4mm (of the 8x32) or the 5.25mm (of the 8x42 model)?
Thank you.
regards
Wachi
In the past I replaced the eye cups on the 8x30W with the bigger green rubber eye cups and it does help but I have found a better solution. On this new pair of 8x30 W I didn't bother changing the standard smaller eye cups I just cup my hands around them and rest my hands on my forehead to compensate for the smaller eye cups. Actually works better and helps shields side reflections also. The exit pupil size is adequate on the 8x30 w's and being a porro with 96% transmission they are incredibly bright. Here is a thread on changing the eye cups if you want to do that.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=318770

Last edited:
John this is helpful and interesting. Based on your familiarity with the product would you order a small or medium Bino Shield for the E II 8x30? As you probably know, the E II is slightly larger than most other 6 or 8X30. it is 6 & 1/2" wide and 5"tall so the small may be too small and the medium so oversized as to be overly fiddly. Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

John,

Thanks for the advice. All your comments about the Bino Shield are spot on. The small size fits both the E II 8x30 and the Habicht 6x30 very well. The slack in height is neither an inconvenience nor inelegant. Instantly converts a strap into a weight bearing harness with excellent lens protection so it's versatile and convenient. It's odd in a way that they are shaped and sized primarily for roofs when non wp porros require more protection.

Mike

Small size Bino Shield for x30 Porros

Mike,

Good to hear that things worked out with the Small size

The EII 8x30 has the greatest circumference of the better Porro x30’s, so as you noted it also works with the Swarovski x30’s
And as such, it will also fit among others:
- Nikon’s earlier E 8x30 and E 7x35, and also
- Nikon’s SE 8x32

John

p.s. I noticed elsewhere the you also have an EII 10x35 on order ( https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3855103&postcount=21 )
I'd be interested to know if it also fits the Small size, or if height's an issue

Last edited:

Mike,

The EII 8x30 has the greatest circumference of the better Porro x30’s, so as you noted it also works with the Swarovski x30’s
- Nikon’s SE 8x32

John

p.s. I noticed elsewhere the you also have an EII 10x35 on order ( https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3855103&postcount=21 )
I'd be interested to know if it also fits the Small size, or if height's an issue

I will chime in here, the 10x35 is easier to handle because it has longer barrels. The 8x30 EII is a very short, squat binocular. If you do a search,
I and others have shown how the bushwacker flip covers add a bit to the
length, makes it more comfortable to hold and view with.

This thread is about the Habicht, nice binoculars, but the Nikon porros are
better in some ways. It is nice to have choices. I have examples of each.

I have a binocular collecting problem. |:D|

Jerry

I have both the EII and the Habicht (say, a Toyota and a Lamborghini) and I have decided to sell the Italian supercar in order to get an new, ehem, German (or Austrian) utilitarian vehicle ;) When I get the new German car, I'll decide what to do with the Japanese.

I have both the EII and the Habicht (say, a Toyota and a Lamborghini) and I have decided to sell the Italian supercar in order to get an new, ehem, German (or Austrian) utilitarian vehicle ;) When I get the new German car, I'll decide what to do with the Japanese.

Think the Austrian G550 falls short in the reliability department when compared to the Toyota Land Crusher. Toyota dominates the markets in rural Africa and Asia for good reasons.

Mike,

- Nikon’s SE 8x32

John

John,

Yes the 10x35 EII is on the way but on a very slow boat apparently. In the meantime I have also tried the small Bino Shield with the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 (a little larger than the 10x35 EII I think) and it is a little tight but a good fit and is likely to stretch out a little if need be. Based on this and comparing measurements of the 8x30 and 10x35 EII, the small should work well for the 10x35 when it arrives. I will update. My guess is a medium would work well with the Habicht 10x40.

This simple Bino Shield you recommended is a great accessory for a number of reasons but what I like best so far is by turning a strap into a harness, it allows switching instantly between strap carry and harness carry depending on preference of the moment.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back