• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID (1 Viewer)

Loving the Canon SX70. Started getting an interest in birds because now I can see them so clearly, take the photos home and try to identify what I've seen. Here's two shy warblers (I think) I photographed at some distance in France, in the Arcachon Bay area, a couple of weeks ago in late June. Guessing the first might be a Melodius Warbler, not sure about the second. This is a steep learning curve but enjoying every minute. Their songs were beautiful.

Warbler 1.jpg
Warbler.jpg

They are much paler and dont have the striking head pattern and colours of males. As you are keen and new to bird watching it may be useful for you to equip yourself with a good British Birds Field Guide that illustrates the variances in plumage, describes bird calls and songs and other characteristics that will help you identify and enjoy the subject, eg your correct suggestion on Melodious Warbler.

They are much paler and dont have the striking head pattern and colours of males. As you are keen and new to bird watching it may be useful for you to equip yourself with a good British Birds Field Guide that illustrates the variances in plumage, describes bird calls and songs and other characteristics that will help you identify and enjoy the subject, eg your correct suggestion on Melodious Warbler.
Haven't bought an actual book for a long time even though I'm an avid reader. Wonder if there's an iPad version o:)

Collins Guide is available as an app. Includes bird songs and calls and is periodically updated - can’t remember when I last used the paper version

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back