• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Chad (1 Viewer)

Ignacio

Hello everyone,

Last January I spent two weeks in Chad, a country almost unknown as far as birding goes. Altough not strictly a birding trip, I saw and photographed a good number of birds and mammals. The report is online in my web: http://www.iyufera.com/htm/tr-chad-01.htm

From any African raptor experts, I would appreciate any help in IDing the birds in the attached thumnails; I'm not quite sure that the name under the photos is the correct one (is it Beaudoin's or Western Banded?)

Thanks and regards from Madrid,

Attachments

• A one-eyed Baudouin's Snake-Eagle.jpg
    A one-eyed Baudouin's Snake-Eagle.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Grasshopper Buzzard, juvenile.jpg
    Grasshopper Buzzard, juvenile.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Tawny Eagle, immature.jpg
    Tawny Eagle, immature.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 163
I'm no expert but:
1. Western Banded Snake Eagle (much more Owl-headed than Beaudouin's & ?? hint of broad tail band)
2. Grasshopper Buzzard
3.juvenile African Hawk Eagle
???????????????? ;)

An excellent report Ignacio. I had always assumed Chad was an empty desert -the amount of big game you saw is a revelation.

I had initially thought image 3 above to be an immature Tawny Eagle (& it may be) but the head/ body proportions & wing/tail length recall African Hawk Eagle -immatures of which are pretty non-descript in plumage.

Steve G said:
An excellent report Ignacio. I had always assumed Chad was an empty desert -the amount of big game you saw is a revelation.

I had initially thought image 3 above to be an immature Tawny Eagle (& it may be) but the head/ body proportions & wing/tail length recall African Hawk Eagle -immatures of which are pretty non-descript in plumage.

Thanks Steve,

Tawny Eagle was the commonest large raptor in the Zakouma area, together with Long-crested Eagle, so I naturally assumed that species. African Hawk-Eagle sounds like a good possibility though, right habitat and range.

As for the Circaetus, it's true that the head seems very wide and "owl-like", and also the wide tail band, but there's a hint of barring in the chest, which Western-banded lacks?

Thanks again,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back