• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CJW, Grousemore and Kiki do Central Florida (1 Viewer)

Steven Astley said:
Nice report Chirs. Especially jealous of all the woopeckers you saw.
Thanks Steven.
Yeah I enjoyed the woodpeckers, like I said to Trevor, "there's no such thing as a boring woodpecker" (cue predictable jokes...) and they were remarkably easy to see - certainly more so than our paltry 3½ species in Britain.

tom mckinney said:
Great read, Chris. Nice website as well. Is that your own boat?

TM
Cheers Tom. Nah it's not my boat (belongs to mate), but I'm in the market for one similar. Trouble is, I can go halves with another mate or I can go on another foreign birding jaunt. Difficult decision.

CJW said:
Trouble is, I can go halves with another mate or I can go on another foreign birding jaunt. Difficult decision.

Do the foreign trip, then come back and scrounge lifts on the new acquisition of the 'another mate' ;)

Hi Chris
I've just finished reading your great South African report. It brought back many happy memories of Kruger and the Cape and not a little envy for some of the birds you got that we've missed out on.

In your photographs - Other Animals, the "Lizard sp." is another Rainbow Skink - but an adult male, losing the blue tail of juvs. and females. As Bill Branch's "Field Guide to the snakes and other reptiles of southern Africa" puts it ...."adult males become buff-olive to olive-brown above, each scale bearing a pearly-white spot. ....the tail changes to yellowish to orange-brown".

I don't have such an easy id for your gecko - where was it taken in KNP or the Cape?

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Pete,for the kind words and the ID! I'll update that this morning.
The gecko was taken in KNP, at Mopani Camp if that helps.

Hi Chris/Keren
My best guess at the gecko is Moreau's Tropical House Gecko Hemidactylus mabouia. The pattern on the back is almost identical to a photo in Bill branch's book and the distribution and habitat are OK but I'm no expert on this group (or any group for that matter, just a b... naturalist with an interest in everything!)

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back