• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk in front lawn (1 Viewer)

chad101

I pulled into my driveway and found this hawk eating a squirrel in my front lawn. I was able to get about 10 feet away and take these photos. I sat at this distance for about 5 minutes and the bird didn't seem bothered at all.

I live in Erie MI (South East Michigan - Ohio/MI border). We have a 100ft cannel in our back yard which drains into Lake Erie about 2 miles east of us.

Attachments

• 105_1797.jpg
    105_1797.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 105_1768.jpg
    105_1768.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 105_1791.jpg
    105_1791.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 65
  • 105_1778.jpg
    105_1778.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 105_1787.jpg
    105_1787.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for the quick reply. Are they protected under the same laws as bald eagles?

The neighbor informed me that the parents have a nest directly across the street. Could I legally possess any feathers i find on the ground below this nest?

Thanks for the quick reply. Are they protected under the same laws as bald eagles?

The neighbor informed me that the parents have a nest directly across the street. Could I legally possess any feathers i find on the ground below this nest?

Hi Chad,
Nice photos!

It would be best to direct your questions to the Michigan Fish and Game Commission or it's equivalent, just to be on the safe side.

I notice that this is your first post here, so "Welcome to Bird Forum!"

You can tell it is a Red-tailed Hawk by the cummerbund like black spackeled Belly Band it shows in photo #3. It's well fed too! Judging from it's distended crop.

Cordially,
Bob

See this for the “law”:
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/birds/feathers.htm

However, I would have thought that the likelihood of getting in legal trouble for the mere possession of a shed feather or 2 is remote. Selling feathers, or putting them on public display, of course, is another matter. . ..

...Are they protected under the same laws as bald eagles?

I believe that they are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918.

Here is some text from that Act:
Establishment of a Federal prohibition, unless permitted by regulations, to "pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, cause to be shipped, deliver for transportation, transport, cause to be transported, carry, or cause to be carried by any means whatever, receive for shipment, transportation or carriage, or export, at any time, or in any manner, any migratory bird, included in the terms of this Convention . . . for the protection of migratory birds . . . or any part, nest, or egg of any such bird." (16 U.S.C. 703)

Last edited:
I agree on the ID and also that they are protected as are other Birds of Prey. As for you having the feather, some would argue it to be illegal because one cannot prove they got the feather by finding it or by harming the animal to get the feather...but if you find one and take it to your house for yourself I'm pretty sure the chances of you getting in trouble should be very slim as fugl said.

Here is a thread I started a whiiile back when I found a feather I thought was an owl's

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=110587

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back