• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meliphagidae (1 Viewer)

Joseph & Nyári 2012

Nyári & Joseph. Systematic dismantlement of Lichenostomus improves the basis for understanding relationships within the honeyeaters (Meliphagidae) and historical development of Australo-Papuan bird communities. Emu: in press.
www.publish.csiro.au/view/journals/dsp_journals_pip_abstract.cfm?nid=97&ver=3&pip=MU10047
Joseph & Nyári 2012. Clarification of the nomenclatural status of a recently introduced genus-group name for some honeyeaters (Meliphagidae). Emu 112(2): 173.

Presumably concerns Bolemoreus. Perhaps someone with access could clarify...

New Holland Honeyeater

Myers, Donnellan & Kleindorfer (in press). Rainfall can explain adaptive phenotypic variation with high gene flow in the New Holland Honeyeater (Phylidonyris novaehollandiae). Ecol Evol. [pdf]

"Joseph & Nyári 2012. Clarification of the nomenclatural status of a recently introduced genus-group name for some honeyeaters (Meliphagidae). Emu 112(2): 173.

Presumably concerns Bolemoreus. Perhaps someone with access could clarify..."
Abstract:
When a genus (plural genera) contains more than one species, those species should be each other’s closest relatives. That way classifications make sense and reflect our best
understanding of evolutionary history. A recent study of DNA sequences in honeyeaters made the case that the 20 species that made up one such genus of Australian honeyeaters, Lichenostomus, were not all each other’s closest relatives. So Lichenostomus needed to be broken up into smaller genera. Older names were available for all but one of the resultant genera and a totally new name was needed for that genus. We chose the name Bolemoreus, which commemorated the work of two of Australia’s leading ornithologists. There are very strict guidelines for describing new names like this. Some of the guidelines are rules. If they aren’t followed, then the name is not available. Others are recommendations. We followed the rules but inadvertently didn't follow one of the recommendations. So this article is simply setting the record straight.
I would like to know what recommendation was not followed??

I would like to know what recommendation was not followed??

Recommendation 16A:
To avoid uncertainty about their intentions, authors proposing new names (nomina nova), including new replacement names, are advised to make their intentions implicit by using in headings, or at the first use of new names in proposals, appropriate abbreviations of Latin terms....The abbreviation 'nom. nov.' should only be used to indicate a new replacement name.

The used nom. nov. instead of gen. nov. in the original paper.

Michael J. Andersen, Alivereti Naikatini & Robert G. Moyle. A molecular phylogeny of Pacific honeyeaters (Aves: Meliphagidae) reveals extensive paraphyly and an isolated Polynesian radiation. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. In Press, Accepted Manuscript.
Abstract

Joseph et al

Joseph, Toon, Nyári, Longmore, Rowe, Haryoko, Trueman & Gardner (in press). A new synthesis of the molecular systematics and biogeography of honeyeaters (Passeriformes: Meliphagidae) highlights biogeographical and ecological complexity of a spectacular avian radiation. Zool Scr. [abstract] [supp info]

PS. Andersen et al 2014. Mol Phylogenet Evol 71: 308–315. [pdf]

Last edited:
Drats, my version of Word won't load the S1 figure from the supp info. Anyone able to convent to pdf, or provide a screencap saved in an older Word version? :(

Drats, my version of Word won't load the S1 figure from the supp info. Anyone able to convent to pdf, or provide a screencap saved in an older Word version? :(
Supp info (pdf) attached...

Attachments

• zsc12049-sup-0001-FigS1-S3-1.pdf
    795.1 KB · Views: 74
  • zsc12049-sup-0002-TableS1-2.pdf
    272.5 KB · Views: 80
.....PS. Andersen et al 2014. Mol Phylogenet Evol 71: 308–315. [pdf]

Interesting that my first attempt to connect to the ResearchGate site produced an overlaid (and impassable) request to open an account. I followed the account instructions, breathlessly awaited an e-mailed response, but I was rejected. More in hope than in expectation, I clicked on the above 'pdf' some hours later, and got straight through to download the PDF effortlessly!
MJB

Interesting that my first attempt to connect to the ResearchGate site produced an overlaid (and impassable) request to open an account. I followed the account instructions, breathlessly awaited an e-mailed response, but I was rejected. More in hope than in expectation, I clicked on the above 'pdf' some hours later, and got straight through to download the PDF effortlessly!
Mike, even where ResearchGate offers open access to full-text (as in this case), a membership application window is (irritatingly!) displayed on the first access attempt. Just close it and continue...

Last edited:
Mike, even where ResearchGate offers open access to full-text (as in this case), a membership application window is (irritatingly!) displayed on the first access attempt. Just close it and continue...

That seems the perfect cue for that Simpsons' expression....:-C
MJB

TiF

Joseph, Toon, Nyári, Longmore, Rowe, Haryoko, Trueman & Gardner (in press). A new synthesis of the molecular systematics and biogeography of honeyeaters (Passeriformes: Meliphagidae) highlights biogeographical and ecological complexity of a spectacular avian radiation. Zool Scr. [abstract] [supp info]

PS. Andersen et al 2014. Mol Phylogenet Evol 71: 308–315. [pdf]
John Boyd (TiF):
www.jboyd.net/Taxo/changes.html (9 Mar 2014)
www.jboyd.net/Taxo/List17.html#meliphagidae

Is there any evidence to support moving the Melionyx group (princeps/nouhuysi/fuscus) into Vosea?

Unless I've missed something, neither Joseph (2014) or Andersen (2013) seem to suggest this...
According to HBW 13, p. 502, this group was suggested to have affinities with whitemanensis by "Diamond"--which may (or not) refer to one of seven works, by two distinct authors, listed on p. 580...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back