• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help for a nestbox for a Carolina wren! (1 Viewer)

I have a pair that comes around often, but won't nest! Any on attracting them? tipso:D

I have had them use bluebird boxes before. This year to see if I could prevent them from camping in a bluebird box I put up this style of house near the roof of my porch. They seemed to prefer it rather than any of the bluebird boxes around, and raised a clutch successfully.

724d66862301d788c9b50c2b534ae48c.jpg

We have them in the yard for months. We have several hiding shelves, cover, and nest boxes everywhere. Still, they disappear for 5-6 weeks (presumably nesting elsewhere). They have recently come back. At my folks' house, they have ignored all the boxes only to nest in a hanging fern, or out in the garage. They don't seem to be consistent in location or preference year to year.

I have had them nest in hanging baskets and flower pots filled with various plantings. One used any empty pot on a shelf in a shed. Another nested in an empty paint can that was hanging on a hook in a shed. And one started to build a nest in a work boot that was left sitting out on a porch for too long.

I had a pair nest in my gas grill so no barbequing for awhile ;) and a pair underneath my back deck awning in a corner. Never in a bird box though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back