• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grampian and Deeside. (1 Viewer)

vidler23

Mad Butcher
Hi all,

Here's a little report of my trip.

12/03/2006 - Arrived Saturday afternoon at Inverness from Gatwick, at a bargain price of £35.00 return with Easy Jet. The reason me being here was the fact that my sister has moved to Dufftown, Strathclyde six weeks ago and to find some sights for photography. From the airport managed to see Common Buzzard, Hooded Crow and Oystercatcher. Still getting over the shock of seeing them inland on rivers and farmland, most of the Kent birds stick to the coast.

13/03 - Did the brotherly thing today went for a ride with sister, seeings she was lending me her car for the week and putting me up, I thought I better make the effort. We did a circular route going up to Forres, then back down towards Grantown on Spey taking in Lochindorb on route. Lochindorb was a bit disappointing, with only Goleneye on it. We did find a dead red grouse and snow bunting and had to push the car through a couple of snow drifts. Some of the birds seen were siskin, loads of song thrushes and fieldfare. We also visited the Spey smoked salmon factory, very enjoyable watching people working and preparing the salmon.

14/03 - Up early today quick walk around Dufftown produced dipper and grey wagtail. while eating breakfast, yep porridge, common buzzard flew straight up the garden and landed in a tree. Exciting I nearly choked on me breakfast. Decided to go to Findhorn Valley, weather cold, but sunny with blue skies. What a fantastic place, so atmospheric and serene, its roughly a nine mile dead end road. On entering the valley straight away picked up on red kite and chiffchaff. Working slowly down the valley I saw ring ouzel, raven, red deer, roe deer and brown hare. Stopped along the river to stalk dipper this resulted in nearly a nasty accident! When crossing the field the snow patches looked quite solid until I trod on one and my leg disappeared up to my crutch, believe me that made me sweat. Coming to the end of the valley, I decided to lunch and look for golden eagle, after an hour and one peregrine I came to the conclusion that I was'nt going to see one. setting of down the valley slightly disappointed, I stopped to photograph some wild goats, when I heard buzzards making alot of noise, looking up was my golden eagle being mobbed by the buzzards. the eagle and the scenery made my holiday.

No time to slack, time to go to Lochindorb on the way back. better luck this time whooper and goosander on loch. Been frantically looking for red grouse, as usual had two fly from under my feet when not looking for them. Further along the road managed to see male and female together, with the male strutting his stuff. Driving home across the moor managed to see goshawk, what a brilliant day, almost kissed my sister when I got back.

15/03 - Meet Ben Nevis in Aberdeen to go and see black cock lek. This entailed rising at 3.30am with tawny owl. I am sure Ben wont mind me nicking his thread for this day. Despite some roads being closed due to snow,we met up and had a great day out on Deeside,then along the Grampian coast.

It was a cold and early start to our day,meeting at Aberdeen Railway Station at 05.30am.We then headed out to Deeside,hoping to watch a Blackcock lek.As dawn approached,our first local rare bird we encountered was a Jay.Not always an easy bird to see in the North East of Scotland.We arrived at the lek site,ahead of any birds and began to fear the worst.We were surrounded by snow but any doubts we had soon disappeared,when 3 Blackcock arrived on the scene and started "strutting their stuff".No sign of any Greyhens but a fantastic start to the day.Common Buzzards were seen every few miles and despite snow lying,it was good to see both Lapwing and Oystercatchers had moved inland ahead of the breeding season.We also seen Roe Deer and a herd of approx 150 Red Deer easily standing out on the snow clad hills.

On leaving Deeside we then made our way over to the east coast,coming across a Barn Owl (another local rare species) before stopping at the Ythan Estuary.Again,plenty of Buzzards and even more pleasing Kestrels,were seen.I have visited the area hundreds of times but have never encountered as many Shelduck as today,they were everywhere.Eider,Wigeon and Goldeneye were the more numerous members of the duck family,whereas we also had a few waders Redshank,Curlew,Dunlin and best of all a Bar tailed Godwit,feeding on the mudflats.

We then headed back to Aberdeen,where we saw 150 + Pink foot Geese feeding in a field and a couple of Common Scoters in with the Eiders at Blackdog. Our final destination was Girdleness in Aberdeen,where we added Shag,Cormorant,Purple Sandpipers,Turnstone and Red breasted Merganser to our list,followed by a pair of Stonechat at Torry Battery. The day came to a close by watching a pod of 6 Bottle nosed Dolphins,one of which made several leaps clear of the water. I had another brilliant day with Ben, who knows his local area and was good company.

16/3 - Later start today, snowed over night producing red squirrels feeding in pine next to garden. Different direction today, through the Glenlivet estate to Abernethy forest. On arriving walked to the Osprey hide, where the RSPB were preparing for the osprey season. I asked about capercaille watches, which start at 5.30am - 8.00am from April to the end of May. Drove along to the Loch Garten and Loch Mallachie car park, and followed the green walk. Managed to see red squirrel and crested tit easily, retuning back through the moors picked up redgrouse again.

17/3 - Another early start today, up at 4.00am back to Abernethy forest to see if I could find a capercaille. Arrived at 5.00am in the same car park as yesterday, heard several capers waking up and calling just before dawn. Just after 6.00am I walked the green walk again, hearing capers twice, but could not locate them. Also had a fly over by a calling red-throated diver.

No slacking now, on to the Cairngorms arriving at the ski centre. Asked the ranger if he knew where I could see ptarmigan, his answer was anywhere above the snow line. I hate a smart arse! His advice if going up, was to wear clampons and carry an ice pick, so that ruled that idea out. Using my birding knowledge, I decided to scan the few bare areas above the ski centre, feeling certain that no self respecting ptarmigan would be arse enough to be up there without their clampons and ice picks. After about ten minutes I heard one calling, and sure enough two flew into view, landing on the bare patch cavorting with his mate. Feeling fairly smug with myself, I spent a little time photographing the snow buntings using my secret weapon. One packet of bird seed had these chaps eating out of my hand, well almost. A cold but another rewarding day.

18/3 - Alas the week goes so fast and its time to go home. Spent a couple of hours photgraphing at some feeders near the Spey river. Time for lunch, and leave for the airport arriving home in time for tea. This holiday altogether cost less than £200 including the flight, paying my sister £50 towards food, a good bargain for meals and no washing up and being spoilt. The bulk going on petrel for the car and £10 to go on her car insurance. All in all quite a bargain I think, already looking at cheap flights for September.

Thanks
Andy :cool:

vidler23 said:
Hi all,

Here's a little report of my trip.

12/03/2006 - Arrived Saturday afternoon at Inverness from Gatwick, at a bargain price of £35.00 return with Easy Jet. The reason me being here was the fact that my sister has moved to Dufftown, Strathclyde six weeks ago and to find some sights for photography. From the airport managed to see Common Buzzard, Hooded Crow and Oystercatcher. Still getting over the shock of seeing them inland on rivers and farmland, most of the Kent birds stick to the coast.

13/03 - Did the brotherly thing today went for a ride with sister, seeings she was lending me her car for the week and putting me up, I thought I better make the effort. We did a circular route going up to Forres, then back down towards Grantown on Spey taking in Lochindorb on route. Lochindorb was a bit disappointing, with only Goleneye on it. We did find a dead red grouse and snow bunting and had to push the car through a couple of snow drifts. Some of the birds seen were siskin, loads of song thrushes and fieldfare. We also visited the Spey smoked salmon factory, very enjoyable watching people working and preparing the salmon.

14/03 - Up early today quick walk around Dufftown produced dipper and grey wagtail. while eating breakfast, yep porridge, common buzzard flew straight up the garden and landed in a tree. Exciting I nearly choked on me breakfast. Decided to go to Findhorn Valley, weather cold, but sunny with blue skies. What a fantastic place, so atmospheric and serene, its roughly a nine mile dead end road. On entering the valley straight away picked up on red kite and chiffchaff. Working slowly down the valley I saw ring ouzel, raven, red deer, roe deer and brown hare. Stopped along the river to stalk dipper this resulted in nearly a nasty accident! When crossing the field the snow patches looked quite solid until I trod on one and my leg disappeared up to my crutch, believe me that made me sweat. Coming to the end of the valley, I decided to lunch and look for golden eagle, after an hour and one peregrine I came to the conclusion that I was'nt going to see one. setting of down the valley slightly disappointed, I stopped to photograph some wild goats, when I heard buzzards making alot of noise, looking up was my golden eagle being mobbed by the buzzards. the eagle and the scenery made my holiday.

No time to slack, time to go to Lochindorb on the way back. better luck this time whooper and goosander on loch. Been frantically looking for red grouse, as usual had two fly from under my feet when not looking for them. Further along the road managed to see male and female together, with the male strutting his stuff. Driving home across the moor managed to see goshawk, what a brilliant day, almost kissed my sister when I got back.

15/03 - Meet Ben Nevis in Aberdeen to go and see black cock lek. This entailed rising at 3.30am with tawny owl. I am sure Ben wont mind me nicking his thread for this day. Despite some roads being closed due to snow,we met up and had a great day out on Deeside,then along the Grampian coast.

It was a cold and early start to our day,meeting at Aberdeen Railway Station at 05.30am.We then headed out to Deeside,hoping to watch a Blackcock lek.As dawn approached,our first local rare bird we encountered was a Jay.Not always an easy bird to see in the North East of Scotland.We arrived at the lek site,ahead of any birds and began to fear the worst.We were surrounded by snow but any doubts we had soon disappeared,when 3 Blackcock arrived on the scene and started "strutting their stuff".No sign of any Greyhens but a fantastic start to the day.Common Buzzards were seen every few miles and despite snow lying,it was good to see both Lapwing and Oystercatchers had moved inland ahead of the breeding season.We also seen Roe Deer and a herd of approx 150 Red Deer easily standing out on the snow clad hills.

On leaving Deeside we then made our way over to the east coast,coming across a Barn Owl (another local rare species) before stopping at the Ythan Estuary.Again,plenty of Buzzards and even more pleasing Kestrels,were seen.I have visited the area hundreds of times but have never encountered as many Shelduck as today,they were everywhere.Eider,Wigeon and Goldeneye were the more numerous members of the duck family,whereas we also had a few waders Redshank,Curlew,Dunlin and best of all a Bar tailed Godwit,feeding on the mudflats.

We then headed back to Aberdeen,where we saw 150 + Pink foot Geese feeding in a field and a couple of Common Scoters in with the Eiders at Blackdog. Our final destination was Girdleness in Aberdeen,where we added Shag,Cormorant,Purple Sandpipers,Turnstone and Red breasted Merganser to our list,followed by a pair of Stonechat at Torry Battery. The day came to a close by watching a pod of 6 Bottle nosed Dolphins,one of which made several leaps clear of the water. I had another brilliant day with Ben, who knows his local area and was good company.

16/3 - Later start today, snowed over night producing red squirrels feeding in pine next to garden. Different direction today, through the Glenlivet estate to Abernethy forest. On arriving walked to the Osprey hide, where the RSPB were preparing for the osprey season. I asked about capercaille watches, which start at 5.30am - 8.00am from April to the end of May. Drove along to the Loch Garten and Loch Mallachie car park, and followed the green walk. Managed to see red squirrel and crested tit easily, retuning back through the moors picked up redgrouse again.

17/3 - Another early start today, up at 4.00am back to Abernethy forest to see if I could find a capercaille. Arrived at 5.00am in the same car park as yesterday, heard several capers waking up and calling just before dawn. Just after 6.00am I walked the green walk again, hearing capers twice, but could not locate them. Also had a fly over by a calling red-throated diver.

No slacking now, on to the Cairngorms arriving at the ski centre. Asked the ranger if he knew where I could see ptarmigan, his answer was anywhere above the snow line. I hate a smart arse! His advice if going up, was to wear clampons and carry an ice pick, so that ruled that idea out. Using my birding knowledge, I decided to scan the few bare areas above the ski centre, feeling certain that no self respecting ptarmigan would be arse enough to be up there without their clampons and ice picks. After about ten minutes I heard one calling, and sure enough two flew into view, landing on the bare patch cavorting with his mate. Feeling fairly smug with myself, I spent a little time photographing the snow buntings using my secret weapon. One packet of bird seed had these chaps eating out of my hand, well almost. A cold but another rewarding day.

18/3 - Alas the week goes so fast and its time to go home. Spent a couple of hours photgraphing at some feeders near the Spey river. Time for lunch, and leave for the airport arriving home in time for tea. This holiday altogether cost less than £200 including the flight, paying my sister £50 towards food, a good bargain for meals and no washing up and being spoilt. The bulk going on petrel for the car and £10 to go on her car insurance. All in all quite a bargain I think, already looking at cheap flights for September.

Thanks
Andy :cool:

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the far north. Particularly your sighting of a Golden Eagle being mobbed by Buzzards. If one wants to differentiate between the two what better way can you imagine. We lived in Aberdeenshire for 23 years, and just in our garden I recorded over 120 species, including those which flew overhead. Marvellous place.

A Good Week Andy

Great report Andy and some good birds,especially for this time of year and the snow,you experienced during your visit.I dont think I am being biased,by saying the Grampian region is a most underestimated area,when it comes to birders from outwith the area,who bypass heading for Strathspey and the Highlands.Grampian has a lot to offer,be it learners or experienced birders.Glad you had a nice time and I look forward to your next visit.

Grampian

Good to read your report Andy. Very interesting. Must admit we are those who bypass the Aberdeen area heading for Speyside and the Highlands! We love Findhorn Valley and the Cairngorm area too. Never seen ptarmigan there though we have scanned. We've seen them further north at very high altitude that you can drive to!

Glad they're doing the caper watch again at RSPB Abernethy. Well worth the early morning get-up to see them.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back