• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and Head for 7D and 400mm (1 Viewer)

MichaelSH

I am going to Florida and want to take a 'portable' lightweight tripod which will fit into my normal baggage and fall within a modesst budget;;;. (My Manfrotto kit is far too heavy and bulky) I have been looking at the Velbon REXi L. Has anyone experience of this tripod and if so what head would they recommend. I will be using it for wildlife/birds while I am there and need a suitable ball head.

Any help appreciated.

I had the Velbon Ultra Luxi F and that was very good, just had a look at the Rexi L specs and reads decent enough in comparison.

The Giottos 1300 series Ball Heads are worth looking at too, very good quality for the money and the larger ones would hold the 400mm steady

Which 400mm lens do you use? If it is the non-IS 400mm F/5.6, you will need a tripod and head that will be as steady as possible in addition to the requirement that it be lightweight. The same would apply for a 100-400mm zoom as its IS has to be switched off when tripod-mounted, being an older version. This would not be a problem for 400mm lenses with tripod-sensing IS like the 400mm DO, but then their larger size will usually dictate a larger tripod to be used.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back