• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night-heron in Guangxi, China (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

I was surprised to happen upon a night heron in the subtropical forest on May 2. Elevation about 260m. Having only seen Black-crowned Night Heron in China before (and being quite familiar with this species), I immediately knew this was something different. The appearance was of a fairly uniformally cryptic speckled bird (immature, not adult) with a short, thick bill.. I only got to see it for about one second before it flew away. Upon some further inspection it seems Malayan Night Heron would be the most likely species: Would Japanese Night Heron even be a possibility this far west? I'm curious to know whether there are any differences in the habitat that these two species prefer or whether there are any other distinctive behavioral characteristics.

Mike

There are a few reports of Malayan Night Herons every spring/summer here in Hong Kong, Japanese Night Heron is a "once every twenty years" bird, and strictly a passage migrant.
I don't know of any real habitat preference differences, lurking in the woods matches my experience of MNH, but both MNH and JNH will feed on grass or ploughed ground if there are worms to be had.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back