• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jackdaws nesting in chimney - advice needed (1 Viewer)

Simrod

I have a problem with nesting jackdaws and need advice as a new member of this forum. My 16th-Century house has tall (50ft) chimneys with inglenook fireplaces, above which there are sliding shutters. Every spring jackdaws drop twigs down the chimneys, apparently in the hopes of creating a nesting platform. I gather this is common practice and the only headache is clearing the huge weight of accumulated twigs from on top of the shutters before sweeping the chimneys for autumn use (but the twigs make excellent kindling!).
This year a pair of jackdaws has managed to climb/fall down to the level of the shutters, make a nest and lay five eggs. I discovered this when starting to clear the twigs and I saw the birds in the midst of their awkward climb up the narrowing top of the chimney. I can also hear them on the nest from time to time.
Should I:
a. leave the nest in place: but the birds could probably not manage to feed their chicks as regularly as they normally would, given the difficulty of access; and how would the fledglings emerge (without my help) when their parents can barely make the climb?
b. move the nest and place it outside: but where should I put it and would the parents re-adopt it?
c. destroy the nest: which obviously I don’t want to do.
Any thoughts, anyone?

Hi Simrod
Welcome to Birdforum. I personally would let nature take its course on this clutch of eggs. If they succeed and fledge then I would take action to prevent them nesting again.
If you can gain access to your chimney pot I would fit wire mesh to the outlet to stop them nesting again. This will leave the performance of your chimney unaffected and discourage them from choosing your house as a suitable site to nest.
Regards
Ian

Many thanks for your prompt response, Ian.

The problem is that if they hatch I will have a brood of chicks in the bottom of the chimney, underfed and - should they surviive - unable to get out. If I remove them, will their parents find them in the garden, or disown them?

Incidentally, I have a thatched roof and current advice is not to put mesh over the chimney as this increases the risk of fire if birds place material on top.

Hi
You could fix a wire basket ( like the old chip pan baskets ) designed to be fitted over boiler flues at low level to prevent people burning themselves. These can be domed in shape which would prevent any nesting material lying on there.
If the birds have nested then they must be sure that the young will be able to get back out when their time is due or surely they would have abandoned the nest by now.
Ian

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The base of the chimney is 10 feet across by three feet deep. And as I say, the adult birds themselves are having a real struggle to make it back up the chimney, pinioning themselves with wings, feet and beaks and much scrabbling for purchase, a bit like rock-climbers. Ah well, perhaps not every problem has a solution...

Hi mate,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if was me I would end there nesting plans now, Sounds like a disaster in the making to me with dead birds stuck in your chimney.
There is little hope for the nest is moved or chicks I doubt for that matter.
I would remove the nest and look at taking precautions to stop the same happening again.

But thats just me:)

karpman

This is quite the predicament :eek!: It seems like destroying the nest is really the most drastic measure. I would say before it comes to that, if you are able, just move the nest/eggs and hope that the birds find it and are in agreement with your relocation.

If not, well.... you tried!

I agree with karpman. Not a very pleasant solution, but at least there is still plenty of time for the Jackdaws to nest elsewhere.
You could,however,meet nature halfway for 'next season' by making your chimney inaccessible to the Jackdaws, and adding a nest box against your stack. If you have the time and recourses, a 'dummy' chimney pot could be added to your stack, for the jackdaws to use. This would blend in with the look of your house much better than a wooden nest box.

I would just let them get on with it, the young birds my just surprise you and get out!
A quote from BWPi "nests recorded at up to 70 m in towers; often some distance between cavity entrance and nest, e.g. 6 m recorded in chimney "

Gwynn

Leave them to it. The birds have nested there so think they can be successful and may well surprise you. It is also illegal to destroy the nest of any wild bird in the UK.

Leave them to it. The birds have nested there so think they can be successful and may well surprise you. It is also illegal to destroy the nest of any wild bird in the UK.

Thank you. This is where I was coming from. No harm will come from letting them try. At the very worst if they perish a quick fire will rid you of any maggots etc that may arise from your actions.
Look in a boiler suppliers for a solution to your open chimney though, I'm sure they will have a solution for you.
Ian

Many thanks indeed to you and all the others on this thread for your advice. I will just let nature take its course. As for protecting the chimney, this is a listed building so my options are limited.

Hi Simrod
I'm a combustion engineer by profession and although I don't do solid fuel applications I will ask about your options in my suppliers in the next couple of days. If you could send me a pic of your stack by PM that would be helpful.
Regards
Ian

As promised I've got some solutions hopefully to address your chimney probs, if you could PM me I can hopefully help you out,
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back