• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair Isle 1960 Photos ?? (1 Viewer)

Seton Gordon (detail of a photo) photographing a boat...... and one of the traps on Fair Isle....

Attachments

• Seton Gordon.jpg
    Seton Gordon.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 107
  • trap.jpg
    trap.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 90
I had wondered if this was our photographer, Eric Meadows.....?

Again, the quality of the scan is dreadful,

Keith.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 81
  • bike detail.jpg
    bike detail.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 77
I think there's a time period (maybe years) between your photo and mine?.....

Attachments

• 3823259661_455e151abb.jpg
    3823259661_455e151abb.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 119
  • dresser.jpg
    dresser.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 126
Firstly, sorry for the quality of the scans - I didn't remove the slide film from the mounts, and hadn't time to clean the glass. Did you scan yours with or without the glass?
The older slides are mounted in metal mounts. The more recent slides are mounted in plastic. Every mount has a number etched on the back.... the film number and then the frame number, so therefore 428/24 means it's the 24th shot of his 428th film. 428/25 will come next etc. If I was doing my detective work properly, I'd put all the transparencies in chronological order first and go from there, but it's such a mammoth task, I can't get round to it yet - they're hopelessly mixed up at the moment!

Keith.

Hi Keith,

I removed all of mine from the glass mounts. Firstly because they wouldn't scan well through the glass, but also because I don't care for glass mounts. I have seen quite a few cases of mould and mildew (the greenhouse effect), and also have had several which had stuck to the mount, and had to be very carefully removed to avoid tearing or damage to the lacquer.

I then cleaned them on the non-viewing side, after brushing lightly but well with a soft lens brush, with Pec-12 film cleaner. I then remounted them in ready-made plastic mounts ready for scanning. There is no ideal way I've found of storing large amounts without plenty of space, which I do not have just now.

Like you mine are now hopelessly out of order. I didn't expect you to turn up!

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for your help Phil. I've just been looking through your photos (for the past hour or so), and am amazed to see slides that I've been bidding on (and didn't win) - so that's where they went |8.| |:d| Well done!

Within the next few weeks, I'm changing jobs, and won't have internet access again (unless, maybe once a month at my inlaws), so that'll be one less bidder... ;)

Between now and then, if I get time to find them, there's one or two other 'Meadows specialities' I'd like upload..... we'll see,

H. Page whom I purchased them off seldom answered my emails, but when they did, I learned that they had purchased the transparencies at auction, and had only purchased part of the collection. I wonder where the remainder of the collection went. I have some slides showing a Scottish map, and a line marking out the various places that Eric travelled while on a particular cruise or trip. I'll try and find them.

Meanwhile thanks for your help,

Keith.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help Phil. I've just been looking through your photos (for the past hour or so), and am amazed to see slides that I've been bidding on (and didn't win) - so that's where they went |8.| |:d| Well done!

Within the next few weeks, I'm changing jobs, and won't have internet access again (unless, maybe once a month at my inlaws), so that'll be one less bidder... ;)

Between now and then, if I get time to find them, there's one or two other 'Meadows specialities' I'd like upload..... we'll see,

H. Page whom I purchased them off seldom answered my emails, but when they did, I learned that they had purchased the transparencies at auction, and had only purchased part of the collection. I wonder where the remainder of the collection went. I have some slides showing a Scottish map, and a line marking out the various places that Eric travelled while on a particular cruise or trip. I'll try and find them.

Meanwhile thanks for your help,

Keith.

Hi again Keith,

I could never work out with some sets of slides what exactly would happen. Some that I expected to go for nothing at all would suddenly shoot off into the stratosphere and others that I dreaded would reach punishing prices would fall into my lap for next to nothing. I recommend care in buying London in the 1950s - the price of those has boosted far beyond the reasonable nowadays. I'm often tempted, but resolutely set a maximum and will not raise it. I'm just relaxed about 'losing' now - I used to be a bit irritated in the early days of my auction experience. Still I look at the several thousand I do have as an investment, though I do love these old views.

I am a bit narked that more effort isn't made to keep significant collections like Eric's together. This is living history, as well as 'trade'. My Edinburgh slides, which is what I originally meant only to collect, will go to the National Library of Scotland, when I pop off. I will generally pay silly prices for those.

Have you any plans eventually to put your collection on the web like me? I'm dying to get a look at them all. I'm really quite envious.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am a bit narked that more effort isn't made to keep significant collections like Eric's together. This is living history, as well as 'trade'. My Edinburgh slides, which is what I originally meant only to collect, will go to the National Library of Scotland, when I pop off. I will generally pay silly prices for those.
Cheers

True, some collections seem to have been split with a hatchet! Eric's latest slides that I have (taken in the '60s I think) are numbered in the 600s, so 650 multiplied by about 38 in each film is over 24,000 images, and that's not including slides taken in the 80s and 90s. Where are they all?
I mostly collect Ireland and Scotland, and sometimes Arctic/Antarctic. Most Ireland sets cover Blarney castle and the jaunting cars and little else, and many of them were taken from a coach window by an American tourist. Some good donkey/cart shots do come through tho'. Erics English scenes are not as good as his Scottish ones, but then I'm partial to Scottish landscapes, so maybe it's me that's biased. The older shots have changed colour slightly too.

I see Warehouseexpress sells Pec-12, so I'll have to invest in a bottle and start cleaning. Are there any websites etc to give guidance on cleaning, film code numbers, collecting slides etc?

As I mentioned in another post, Web access will be severly limited in a few weeks time, so I'll hardly get to post my images of Flicker - I didn't know such a place even existed! I should have been posting images there ages ago! Some of those people have so much knowledge about the identification of places and vehicles! We'll see.

All the best,
Keith.

Peter Davis of the Welsh Red Kite Trust sent me a very nice email, and I quote from it;

The 'young man with the pipe' is indeed myself, aged about 30. 001 shows Ken and me with the Sheep Craig in the background. 003 shows Shirva cottage with the South Reeva in the background, and I think Ken shaking hands with Georgina Stout (who emigrated to New Zealand with her sons ca.1960). She was a charming old lady, who kept up an old custom by presenting two of my children with a half-sovereign as a 'handsel', shortly after they were born.

http://www.gigrin.co.uk/w/whos_who/peter_davis.html

As Peter himself mentioned in his email.... "all very evocative"

Keith.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 61
  • img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 64
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
True, some collections seem to have been split with a hatchet! Eric's latest slides that I have (taken in the '60s I think) are numbered in the 600s, so 650 multiplied by about 38 in each film is over 24,000 images, and that's not including slides taken in the 80s and 90s. Where are they all?
I mostly collect Ireland and Scotland, and sometimes Arctic/Antarctic. Most Ireland sets cover Blarney castle and the jaunting cars and little else, and many of them were taken from a coach window by an American tourist. Some good donkey/cart shots do come through tho'. Erics English scenes are not as good as his Scottish ones, but then I'm partial to Scottish landscapes, so maybe it's me that's biased. The older shots have changed colour slightly too.

I see Warehouseexpress sells Pec-12, so I'll have to invest in a bottle and start cleaning. Are there any websites etc to give guidance on cleaning, film code numbers, collecting slides etc?

As I mentioned in another post, Web access will be severly limited in a few weeks time, so I'll hardly get to post my images of Flicker - I didn't know such a place even existed! I should have been posting images there ages ago! Some of those people have so much knowledge about the identification of places and vehicles! We'll see.

All the best,
Keith.

Hi Keith,

As for the remainder of Eric's collection, I reckon some dealer's got them (you'll recognise dealers on ebay - feedback in the thousands) and that they'll be drip-fed once the recession dies off a bit. I got my 'Eric' slides from more than one seller on ebay, though whether there are hidden connections in the case of his slides I'm not sure. I do know that other slides I have bought have derived from a web of related people from East Grinstead, since they occasionally borrow each others illustrations and text, though I've never seen them explicitly declare the connections. Probably a tax thing.

I've not yet found a major site to do with collecting slides. What I know is trial and error combined with odd bits & pieces from various photography forums and groups. I wish I had the time to research Kodachrome in more depth. Without demounting it's often impossible to date slides before 1958 to within less than a few years, simply because no-one considered it worthwhile to date-stamp them until then. One has to rely on the owner marking them.

Pec-12 is good, but not infallible. They also do related pads which are recommended for use with it. I find them quite good too. For the shiny side of slides(the viewing side) I often just use saliva on a clean cotton hanky, lightly, but on no account try this on the matt side (non-viewing) of the slides - that will be really bad news. I often resort to cloning to get rid of the most stubborn marks on slides. I wish I could afford a professional-level scanner too, as quite often the lamp-power of the cheaper ones doesn't seem quite powerful enough, leading to a lot of 50s slides coming out too dark. Some red-bordered Kodachromes appear really dark, perhaps because of the way they have beeen stored. The one website to do with code-numbers on the filmstrips that I know of I now avoid, because when I clicked on an innnocent-looking link, my computer was attacked by 25 viruses and trojans.

Cheers

I do know that other slides I have bought have derived from a web of related people from East Grinstead, since they occasionally borrow each others illustrations and text, though I've never seen them explicitly declare the connections. Probably a tax thing.

I've purchased quite a few from East Grinstead, and assumed that the different seller IDs were the one person.... but I could be wrong. They also seem to have an American connection for some reason.

Keith.

I've purchased quite a few from East Grinstead, and assumed that the different seller IDs were the one person.... but I could be wrong. They also seem to have an American connection for some reason.

Keith.

Hi Keith

'English Slide Guy' has a house in Florida as well as an address in the UK, and slides are quite often sourced and sent from there.

Cheers

Peter Davis of the Welsh Red Kite Trust sent me a very nice email, and I quote from it;

The 'young man with the pipe' is indeed myself, aged about 30. 001 shows Ken and me with the Sheep Craig in the background. 003 shows Shirva cottage with the South Reeva in the background, and I think Ken shaking hands with Georgina Stout (who emigrated to New Zealand with her sons ca.1960). She was a charming old lady, who kept up an old custom by presenting two of my children with a half-sovereign as a 'handsel', shortly after they were born.

http://www.gigrin.co.uk/w/whos_who/peter_davis.html

As Peter himself mentioned in his email.... "all very evocative"

Keith.

Good to hear he's still going. Some names from his heyday were more familiar to me as a novice birdwatcher in 1969 than many well-known people today.

Cheers

Here's one of Georgina Stout of Shirva cottage, as far as I know.....

I love this photo!

Keith.

Attachments

• 427-14.jpg
    427-14.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 427-14 detail.jpg
    427-14 detail.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 66
North Haven pier I think....

Peter Davis is in both shots, but I can't identify anyone else...

Keith.

Attachments

• 425-18.jpg
    425-18.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 425-18 detail.jpg
    425-18 detail.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 426-02.jpg
    426-02.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 426-02 detail.jpg
    426-02 detail.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back