• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox 8x33 BL HD - 2nd generation (ref. 62242) (1 Viewer)

Tom_Sutic

Hi there ! I just bought a pair of Minox 8x33 BL HD (2nd generation) and they seem pretty good!

I have compared theme to Olympus 10x42 Pro and Pentax SD 9x42 WP and I prefer the Minox. I’m not very experienced but for example I noticed CA on the Pentax that I don’t see on the Minox, and found the Minox easier to focus compared to the Olympus (ease of use).

What do you recommend at Minox price point? And to which binoculars would you compare them?

Many thanks

The Minox BL HD series binoculars are a solid mid range bin....Id say comparable to the Zeiss Conquest.....for a few hundred less..

Last edited:
I tried the 8x33 BL v2 and really liked it. My main gripe is that it focuses backwards from what I am used to (clockwise is closer on the Minox).

I thought in its price range (say $500 or less), it is one of the top performers. I liked the ergonomics and I did not have any problems with blackouts (my eyes are hard to fit for a lot of binoculars it turns out).

I do think the Conquest HD 8x32 and Kowa Genesis 8x33 are better, but it is a question if it is worth the price jump for you. If you're happy with the view, I think keep them!

The Vanguard Endeavor ED II 8×32 is similar in optics, so you could check that out too if you want. The eye relief was too short for me on the Vanguard, but good on the Minox.

Marc

Many thanks for your comments! This binocular thing is making me crazy :D when you don't have experience with binoculars it's difficult to assess what's in your hand. I'll try to grab a Conquest HD to make a test as it's the model you both talked about.

Cheers

Why? Are you not happy with the Minox that you've bought, just enjoy them and forget the rest of the hundreds of models out there. As you said, you'll go crazy worrying needlessly about scientific factors. My thought to myself nowadays is, "what does it matter?"

P

Last edited:
Why? Are you not happy with the Minox that you've bought, just enjoy them and forget the rest of the hundreds of models out there. As you said, you'll go crazy worrying needlessly about scientific factors. My thought to myself nowadays is, "what does it matter?"

P

Thats the best advice anybody can give anybody........if you enjoy using them you've cracked it.Too many people worry about the technical side of everything these days and forget to enjoy the subject......a lot are only happy if they have the latest most expensive gadget.I own a pair of Steiner wildlife pro's.......they give me a sharp,clear 3d image,are tough,nice to hold and have a 25 year guarentee.I've looked through many top models(i used to own a pair) and i wouldn't swap mine for any of them........not because they are better than anything else but because i just enjoy using them.....i can see every feather detail on the birds i observe so why get anything else.

You are totally right :) Just some curiosity and I'm always wondering what would it be with a so called "better" binoculars! But honestly I'm very happy with the Minox and maybe I should follow your advice. At least for the moment till I better understand my needs regarding binoculars.

Thanks again for giving your opinion, it helps!

Just to give you an update :) I have tested the Leica Trinovid HD 10x32 ...

I found the Minox BL HD better to my viewing. Leica are very good binoculars but the difference in price brings notting more than a better close focus distance (1m). Of course my test was in a short period of time but I wasn't blowed away by the Leica. I even found some CA that I didn't have with the Minox (maybe the 10x power can emphasize CA ...) ... 8x33 BL HD are definitely a keeper. Hope this can help other birders! cheers

Nice one Tom......i found the same looking through a really expensive pair of binoculars......prefered mine.Good to see you are happy with your choice.

I traded my in focus own brand (I think Opticron) for some alpha Zeiss. I regret it! The 'whatever they were branded' bins were comfy, I could raise them straight to a subject, almost instinctive, easy focus and bright. I always struggle finding subject birds, in. the woods, though the Zeiss - practice makes perfect but they just don't seem instinctive....

I recently bought a pair of the Minox 8x33 BL HD v.2 and really like them. I can see this as my everyday go-to binocular. Image is sharp, crisp, and bright. The colors are great. I haven’t noticed anything that bothers me about these. I mostly use them when the sun is up in the sky, and not at the crack of dawn or at dusk. I prefer these over my 10x42 for size, and image stability, as I can use them one-handed and get a non-shaky view. The quality on these seem really strong. I’m not one to compare the spec sheets of this vs. that, and I haven’t ever used a Leica or other upper crust binoculars. But these are solid.

There isn’t a lot of real estate between the end of the barrels and the hinge, so the objective lens covers seem to easily fall off if the binoculars are on the next strap and the binoculars are bouncing around as you walk. Be careful about that.

I like ‘em!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back