• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P7000 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Steve,
The Kowa 25x LER ( Long Eye Relief ) has 32 mm of ER. Way more than most eyepieces , where 18 - 20 is the norm .
As I have mentioned in the other threads I use the 25x LER on the Swarovski scope too ( I have two of them ) as the mounts are very similar ( although the other way around doesn't work unfortunately due to the length of the mount ).
CAVEAT - You do lose INFINTITY FOCUS. Focus distance is about 35 meters.
I can use the Canon G12 with it too which I like a lot.
Neil

As I mentioned earlier in this thread you can get no/little vignetting with the P7000 at wide zoom on a 30x eyepiece with decent FOV but it gets worse as soon as you start zooming. The problem is that this is only about 900 mm of magnification. This is not where digiscopers normally want to be unless you are shooting in the garden or large water birds.
For digiscoping you need about 1000 -2000 mm to be happy.
Neil

I've been digiscoping with the Nikon P5100 on the Nikon 82A Fieldscope for several years. I use the FSB-6 Adapter designed for it, and of course there is no vignetting. Now I'm thinking of getting the P7000, but I see a lot of talk on Birdforum about vignetting. Is this mostly a problem with scopes and eyepieces that are not Nikon, or would vignetting be a problem even with the Fieldscope and 30X eyepiece I have.

Also: How does the Nikon FSB-U1 work for you? I've been thinking of getting one, but I don't see too many reviews online. Does the camera stay lined up with the scope pretty well, even after the camera is swung out of the way and back to the eyepiece again?

Hio Gordon,

Pictures taken with Nikon Fieldscope ED82, DS30x eyepiece hand held.

First picture on wide angle 6mm with minimum vignetting and 2nd picture on 8.1mm ~ near end of Macro zone. Then you still can zoom it after the Macro zone before the lens touched the eyepiece.

P7000-DS30x.jpg P7000-DS30x1.jpg

Hope this help ;)

Hio Gordon,

First picture on wide angle 6mm with minimum vignetting and 2nd picture on 8.1mm ~ near end of Macro zone. Then you still can zoom it after the Macro zone before the lens touched the eyepiece.

View attachment 338249 View attachment 338250

Hope this help ;)

Jason,
That's very good news . I suspect the DS eyepieces have about 22-25 mm of Eye Relief. To get the best out of it maybe the Vortex PS100 with the 52 mm thread would be a good choice.
Neil.

Jason,
That's very good news . I suspect the DS eyepieces have about 22-25 mm of Eye Relief. To get the best out of it maybe the Vortex PS100 with the 52 mm thread would be a good choice.
Neil.

Thanks Neil and from Nikon, it is 18.7mm ER for the DS30x eyepiece hehehe

ED82 vs. EDG 85

Hio Gordon,

View attachment 338249 View attachment 338250

Hope this help ;)

How much difference in quality do you see between these scopes? .....the difference in price is huge :)

Max

How much difference in quality do you see between these scopes? .....the difference in price is huge :)

Max

The contrast, wide FOV on zoom eyepiece and the ability to use DSLR with FSA-L2 from 500mm f5.9 - 1750mm f21 compared with FSA-L1 at fixed 1000mm f13 for ED82

The ED82 still selling like hot cakes in my place especially among short lens photographers :king: and the main combo for Digiscoping with P300 and custom made adapter.

Neil...I like that first shot of the bird close up....regardless of what this one topic is about ( ;-) ) ...I just like the shot. It really shows the closeness one can get when digiscoping.... and detail too, jim

I've been shooting with the new Kowa lens/scope that I bought in Tokyo 10 days ago. A 95 mm objective lets in lots of light and focusing seems easier too. Here are some digiscoped photos taken last week with the P7000. I do have vignetting with the Kowa eyepieces but am able to crop it out easily.
Neil

Nikon P7000 plus Kowa lens/scope Prominar and Kowa 28x LER eyepiece and Swarovski UCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
Feb 2011

The Nikon UR E22 adapter is very expensive for a piece of plastic and will not allow any use of the telephoto capability of the P7000. After a few waste of money after market adapters I have at last found one that works. It is made by Bowen in the USA and marketed by A & R Photo Video Inc. through Amazon.com. Not only is it well made of metal, it is also in two pieces that will allow full use of the telephoto even with a filter fitted. It does have a 58mm thread at the other end but is easily sorted. I use a circular, three screw clamp to fit it to my Zeiss FL85(can't find it on Ebay anymore). This has a 52mm thread that fitted the UR E20 on my old P5000 (sadly stolen). A 58mm step down ring sorted that problem. The P7000 has a function button that can be used to set the lens at fixed zooms to suit the situation. The adapter tube only arrived this morning so my only testing so far is checking the church clock half a mile away.

The whole assembly cost me less that £35.00 and can be simply slid over the Zeiss eyepiece rubber and fired with the remote control. It is small light and will cut the need for a cable release (SRB Griturn P5000 adapter)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back